Garrett booster

1987 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe Turbo 5-speed

Date: 30th May 2013
    Username: PBODY
    Full Name: Joe Rinaldi
    City, State, Zip: Kenosha, WI 53143
    Selling or Wanted Price:
    Description:

1987 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe. 2.2L Turbo with factory A520 5-speed. 144K miles. Yes it is a 2-door coupe not a convertible. It has a fake convertible top. The ultimate sleeper!

Great winter beater with a little work.

The good:
    Working digital dash, 2 button traveler, digital climate control, clean power seat cloth interior (dark red), uncracked dash pad, clutch feels good, head light actuators work, doesn't look to have ever been wrecked. Bottoms of the doors are clean. All stock under the hood. Belt is still on the A/C and it might work. Factory equalizer radio. Decent egg shell rims. New cap, rotor and wires. 120psi compression on all 4 cylinders. Unmolested turbo car. Car starts and runs but does not drive. See below.

The bad:
    The crossover cable for the trans is froze. It will only shift 3rd and 4th gear. The exhaust needs work. New oxygen sensor needs to be installed. Tires are dry rotted. I have a good battery for it but it does not fit the tray properly. Brake light is on and the car stops, pedal is low but firm. Feels like the rears are not working. I do not see any brake fluid leaking. Car has rust in the floors and rocker panels. It is not a "Flintstone" mobile, but they are getting soft. Brake and fuel lines are crusty. Headliner is hanging down. Driver's side window is fixed in the up position.

$600 buys the car as is right now.

I might start fixing things on it (starting with the shifter cable) but the price will start to go up if I do.

Call/Text/PM if interested.

Last edited by PBODY; 06-05-2013 at 10:22 AM.

turbo addict

Re: 1987 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe Turbo 5-speed

wow fake convertible for the most popular convertible I know of. crazy, is that factory ive never seen one like it.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    wow fake convertible for the most popular convertible I know of. crazy, is that factory ive never seen one like it.
    I'm going to assume not factory. It looks aftermarket. It is professional. It must have some sort of fiberglass shell on the roof to give it shape. It reshapes the rear window opening and partially covers the side windows. There is fabric covered panels on the inside side windows to match the shape. It even has pieces on the tops of the door frames to match the roof.
    It looks to have been optioned out like a Cadillac but with a 5-speed. It even has the very first "hands free" phone speaker in the left A pillar.

Garrett booster

Replaced the shifter cable. The car runs and drives now. Goes into all gears and shifts smooth. Clutch is great. Engine runs smooth after I fixed all the vacuum lines and doesn't even tick. Just put in a new t-stat. Cooling fan works. Still needs brake work, exhaust work and the driver's side window fixed. I am going to look at the brakes next. I am open to offers over $600.

Mitsu booster

Do you have any interior pics of the car?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ajdc78 View Post
    Do you have any interior pics of the car?
    I will get some tomorrow.

I just fixed the brakes. Replaced the LF caliper and bled all 4 wheels. Nice firm pedal and no more brake light.

I wonder if that stupid fake roof thing can come off of it... I had a 89 LeBaron with those same colors for a total of 3 days before it got wrecked. I'm really tempted to pick this one up... like... REALLY tempted...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I wonder if that stupid fake roof thing can come off of it... I had a 89 LeBaron with those same colors for a total of 3 days before it got wrecked. I'm really tempted to pick this one up... like... REALLY tempted...
    I think the roof could be removed. Give me a call if you want to come take a look at it. I will be home all day today and tomorrow.

Well, my daughter's birthday is today so I'm not going anywhere. Tomorrow though, that's a better option. I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I get some stuff figured out.

Garrett booster

Interior pics.

Karl, I think this would be the perfect birthday present for your daughter...plus you could sell the woodgrain pieces to Cordes to help recoup your purchase price!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah... I think I need this somehow.

Mitsu booster

I have been looking for a LeBaron coupe with a turbo, manual, and premium interior since I wrecked mine 14 years ago. I need to figure out how to cross Wisconsin for this one.

Garrett booster

Car is sold.

Thanks Karl.

Rusty brake lines are NOT something to trust! Going back with the trailer and van to pull it home haha. I'll upload some hilarity once I get back...

Okay, here's some scenes from today's fun...

Fortunately the car suffered no damage and neither did myself or my brother. Ended up towing it home on my new (to me) trailer which did exceptionally well and now it's sitting with my other dead projects in line for some new brake lines that it very desperately needs. Besides that though, this car runs AWESOME.