Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: back strut brace

turbo addict

back strut brace

Back strut bar. I've got a 92 4dr shadow and just wondering if anyone has put a back support on the inside of the vehicle and if it made any difference in cornering. I was thinking of going from seatbelt holder to seatbelt holder, just above the wheel wells.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: back strut brace

I believe that Russ Jerome put one in an omni between the strut towers a while back and felt that it really improved things.

turbo addict

made one long ago. Gave it to Garry Mckissi to test since he was the only one I knew with a Shadow. He said it made a bit of a difference. Ask him. He's on the forums here. I triangulated it in so it wasn't just a straight bar.

turbo addict

Ya cause my front one made a HUGE difference but at the back we already have solid axles and the floor going across. So I wasn't sure if putting a bar 10 inches above the floor was going to do much.

Garrett booster

i made one for my daytona out of a stock pan hard bar i had laying around. cut 2 holes for the bolts on the tops of the shock towers and bolted it up. made a hugeeeeeeeee difference since daytonas have that huge hatch area. one of the best mods i did on the car.

turbo addict

Keep your eyes open! A couple of my friends and myself have done a rear bar and did actual testing with it(took measurements to determine body flex). We also compared it to a bar that somebody else already makes. I will hopefully be installing the prototype in my '88 Shelby Z this weekend. The mock-up car was an '86 Turbo Z. I'll give more info once the bar is in my car. I'll also have picutres of it both in the mock car and installed in my car.

turbo addict

wonder how much it's like the one I made 7+ years ago?? Works great in a tona. The attachment points weren't as good in a shadow so the difference wasn't that much with it in. But it's a must have for a Daytona. Can't wait to see pics. I'll let you know if you copied me.

turbo addict

I'll say that it looks a LOT like another bar that's already offered. We didn't test fit it in a P-body, but it *should* fit, though it might be tight. I'll post pics and numbers after it is in my car this weekend...

turbo addict

Gonna start mocking mine tonight. The hatch is already ripped apart and ready for measuring.

turbo addict

Well, I have it in my car. I LOVE this thing! It wasn't fun putting it in primarily because I wanted it to look good and this was the first one we tried to fully install. We learned a few things that will be changed on the next ones we build too. I'll post pictures and stats on it probably tomorrow. I'll say that it makes the car feel like it's got a larger rear sway bar in it.

turbo addict

I have to quit gettin drunk so I can work on the Shadow. Can't believe I can type.

turbo addict

LOL...that usually helps!

turbo addict

Pics!!!!!

turbo addict

Coming tonight!!!

turbo addict

Everyone stop yelling!!!!

turbo addict

Pics Now!!!!

turbo addict

Its not done! Although I may have pics of almost finished 2 3/4 inch cutout tommorow.

turbo addict

sorry was talking to Reaper.

turbo addict

OK, here's pictures as promised!!!

This first set is the prototype being installed in my 1988 Shelby Z.

Test fitting in the car...the interior panels still had tp be modified at this point

This is how the bolts fit. The outer one is VERY tight, but it does fit. An open end box wrench is needed to hold it for sure!

This is the bolts from under the car so you can see where they are. Once tightened they do sit flat against the body. We did end up trimming the bolts off. These were 2" grade 8 bolts, nuts and lockwashers. I also used Grade 5 flat washers because they were larger in diameter than the Grade 8 ones.

This is the bar completely installed in my car. I painted it the closest color I could find to the interior. One of the major factors involved with this design is that my subwoofer HAD to fit under it and it had to fit under the tonoue cover. It was successful!

turbo addict

My friend who is hleping make these is also installing one in his '91 CS Daytona. His is the second one made and it fits a little different than mine. I'll post more details about it later. These are the latest pictures of it, the install will be completed tomorrow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast