Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polishing

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

polishing

I need to polish my pizzas (long story), and cant find a shop near me to do it for relatively cheap. The fab question, how hard would it be to MAKE a polishing machine? All you'd need is a motor to turn the rim, and maybe a guide arm for the polisher to ride on, right?
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Hybrid booster

Re: polishing

You can do it easily if you have an orbital sander.

Start by stripping the the factory clear coat using paint stripper. Then sand the wheels using the orbital sander, starting with about 150 grit paper.
    Move gradually to a finer grit paper, then wet sand with 600 paper then with 1000 to 1200 grit paper.

Once you're done with the sanding, you can use mag wheel aluminum polish by hand to bring out a perfect shine.

You're looking at about 45 minutes per wheel. This is how I did mine and they look SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!

I'm well aware of that procedure, I'm looking for an EASIER way to do it.

I have an extra hub that I want to bolt the wheel to, and semi-automate the polishing process. Like a belt around the rim attached to an variable speed electric motor.

Spinning wheel, 2000 grit wet paper, garden hose, profit.
    Last edited by Nemesismachine; 06-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Mitsu booster

I built a A frame with a hub mounted a 1750 rpm motor installed a belt around the wheel 3" motor pulley presto spinning stand

jack the front up and put the car in drive

Kinda hard with no motor

Quote Originally Posted by turboamx View Post
    I built a A frame with a hub mounted a 1750 rpm motor installed a belt around the wheel 3" motor pulley presto spinning stand
    You got a picture? I need ideas.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Here is the one I built. It uses a 3hp farm duty 1750RPM (if memeory serves me) motor. It easily took hours off my time by having some grunt and being ablt to rotate the part so much without hitting a motor or housing like I would have with the grinder.

turboshad, where did you get the little blue bearing support things?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    turboshad, where did you get the little blue bearing support things?
    They are called pillow block bearings. Any bearing supply or farm supply shop should have them. I got my from an awsome store in Canada called Princess Auto but I don't think they are in the states.

http://www.princessauto.com/farm/dri...d=pillow+block

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Nate, got any tractor supply stores near you? if not, a bearing supplier should have them.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I'll check TSC near my house tonight, if they're cheaper to order online I'll go that route. Thanks!

turbo addict

Hold on bro ... that rig is a one to one ratio (look at the pulleys). That means you'll be spinning the wheel at 1750 ... heh, way too fast. Now don't laugh here but if you get or make a larger pulley for the iron shaft (length of 1" iron pipe threaded both ends) you can make a pair of blocks using some white oak, maple or hickory. Shaft won't be turning too fast. Drill a hole down through the wood block to the main shaft hole you'll drill and use a heavy oil to lubricate while it's running.

Larger pulley can be made using a sandwich of 3/4" plywood. Cut two discs out of a sheet and bevel the circumference on each (one side) using a 45* router bit or by hand. Glue and screw them together and you'll have a pulley able to accept a regular belt. Use some math to size the disc so you get the speed you want. Grab a threaded flange to fasten the plywood pulley to and thread it on the pipe.

This way you can knock together a polishing rig without breaking the piggy bank.

Puppet, where have you been all my life! What you described is PERFECTION. I have the parts to do this in my garage right now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    They are called pillow block bearings. Any bearing supply or farm supply shop should have them. I got my from an awsome store in Canada called Princess Auto but I don't think they are in the states.

http://www.princessauto.com/farm/dri...d=pillow+block
    Ya princess auto is the best place for cheap "crap" as long as you dont use the stuff you buy often, and always keep the receipt... for instance powerfist (house brand) replica honda generators that last all of 5 hours before throwing a rod YAY and powerfist 1/2 torque wrench that snaps the head off at 60 ft/lbs. Its kinda hit and miss with powerfist stuff though. Usally if its in the flyer on sale... they really want it gone.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Hold on bro ... that rig is a one to one ratio (look at the pulleys). That means you'll be spinning the wheel at 1750 ... heh, way too fast.
    Everything I have read says you're wrong........bro. I'm actually on the slow side. 1750 RPM gives 3670 SFPM with 8" wheels. Speeds for aluminum should be much closer to 5000-6000 SFPM but at least between 3600-7500 SFPM. This is confirmed with comercial buffers being available bewteen 1100 and 3600 RPM. 3600 RPM on an 8" wheel gives you 7540SFPM. Hmmmmm.....that's wierd Not to mention I would never hack a pulley out of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Everything I have read says you're wrong........bro. I'm actually on the slow side. 1750 RPM gives 3670 SFPM with 8" wheels. Speeds for aluminum should be much closer to 5000-6000 SFPM but at least between 3600-7500 SFPM. This is confirmed with comercial buffers being available bewteen 1100 and 3600 RPM. 3600 RPM on an 8" wheel gives you 7540SFPM. Hmmmmm.....that's wierd Not to mention I would never hack a pulley out of wood.
    You be right. I have polished brass piano parts for over 30 years. I got so good that when the wheel grabbed a screw and shot it across the shop I could follow it with my eyes and go fetch.
    Yeah I love that arsenic smell when polishing brass.

I'm not looking to machine anything special though, I just need a wheel to turn so I can stick a polisher to it. Doesn't matter if the pulley is made out of wood. To me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    I'm not looking to machine anything special though, I just need a wheel to turn so I can stick a polisher to it. Doesn't matter if the pulley is made out of wood. To me anyway.
    The only thing I machined on mine was the shaft to fit the ID of the pads and the ID of the pulleys. The pulleys are off the shelf and dirt cheap.

http://www.princessauto.com/farm/dri...keyword=pulley (Just and example. I can't remember what size I used)

If I can find them in Canada that easily you should have tons in the states. Check the same farm supply shop you get the pillow blocks from.

Hybrid booster

i use this when polishign my rims

polisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast