Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyno test soon to follow, EQ Length tubular header

Dyno test soon to follow, EQ Length tubular header

This was all sparked off when I got bored while the Daytona was apart for a new clutch and thought that I could try and have some fun. I made a shorty merge collector out of some scrap pieces and realized I could put it to good use.

My friend Derek and I spent two late nights at the shop, yanked the motor, mocked some junk up and said let's do it!

A big thanks to JT, this header is in generaly similar to the one he made and ran on his G body when it was an 8V car. Obviously they are actually two unique pieces, but the location and general design layout were based on his header.

The car will be re-assembled whenever UPS decides to un-lose my clutch disc and a dyno test will be conducted to see the gains of teh header alone. I have data from our dyno of pre-header, so it should be rather interesting. Anyone want to throw out some guesses for fun? I have mine already.

Enjoy.

turbo addict

Re: Dyno test soon to follow, EQ Length tubular header

Looks nice, but not as nice as the viper headers. he he. No pulser on this one huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Looks nice, but not as nice as the viper headers. he he. No pulser on this one huh?
    Viper headers tend to look pretty neat, since they're so complex. Lots of tubes equal cool looking in my book.

Pulser? As in like a divided tangential setup with paired cylinders? If that's what you mean then no, this is just for the daily beater Daytona. It has an old school MP Plus turbo... just a polished compressor cover and a .63 AR exhaust housing.

My co-worker told me it's a shame to put a stock turbo back on that manifold. I think it will be neat to see the gains on a relatively stock car.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Viper headers tend to look pretty neat, since they're so complex. Lots of tubes equal cool looking in my book.

Pulser? As in like a divided tangential setup with paired cylinders? If that's what you mean then no, this is just for the daily beater Daytona. It has an old school MP Plus turbo... just a polished compressor cover and a .63 AR exhaust housing.

My co-worker told me it's a shame to put a stock turbo back on that manifold. I think it will be neat to see the gains on a relatively stock car.
    No on the viper headers you posted it looked like you were using the pulser setting on the welder.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Looks great Aaron!

Really curious to see how it does... is this a direct a-b swap or were there other mods?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    No on the viper headers you posted it looked like you were using the pulser setting on the welder.
    Nope. I don't use a pulse function. Actually my welder doesn't even have a pulse setting. The other Synchrowave we have does though, I guess mine was a lighter optioned one.

I've changed my welding style since then. While the nice colored exterior was pretty, and it's held up plenty fine so far, this darker looking weld is fantastically penetrated with a perfect gold bead inside.

Not to mention the Viper headers are done on a slip-fit collector so each tube can be welded seperately very easily. I did this one almost complete, which wasn't fun.

I can do whichever style I please, but between this being where nobody can see it, needing to be very strong, and that both welds will look identical once the car has been ran for an hour or so it doesn't bother me in the least bit. I know this is a stronger welding style, but it may not be neccessary for this application. If it were on an aircraft though, exterior prettiness comes second to quality penetration.

Here's a non-pulse aluminum weld from earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Looks great Aaron!

Really curious to see how it does... is this a direct a-b swap or were there other mods?
    Straight A-B. Only changes will be ambient temp, so I'll have to take that into account. I'll have to do it in the middle of the day so the temps are closer to last time I ran it.

Cool deal.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Kudos to you for doing a TRUE A/B comparison when the easy urge to do otherwise is there
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Will you be making any for public consumption unlike that lazy JT?
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

I guess I will be the first to ask.

How much for a duplicate?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    Will you be making any for public consumption unlike that lazy JT?
    Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    I guess I will be the first to ask.

How much for a duplicate?
    Lazy JT will be buying a welder and might need to make a batch to fund them... Aaron and I may be in cahoots too... stay tuned

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

If I did more they wouldn't be 1 3/4" tube like that one is. That's the smallest we use so it's all I had for scrap, but I'm not complaining. I'm working on talking to the boss about a side project deal, perhaps I can get something woked out.

This thing was pretty time consuming though. I'm not going to jig off of it, as I would like to have laid the turbine flange at more of an extreme angle after it is all said and done.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Aaron,

Dude, that header is a work of art, wow.

Anyhow, what did it make before, turbo and how much boost, then I can guess,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

This will be the first true A/B dyno comparison I have seen since coming into the world of TMs. I don't think that firsts are something new to you; Aaron, you are the man.

ETA: 20HP at the same boost with no other changes.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Do you feel your cal was optimized before? Will you be able to tweak the cal for the new header?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Aaron, don't worry man, the welds looked great from what I was able to see on my screen. You sound like quite a few of us on here....perfectionist. LOL. I tend to be. I can't wait to see the gains. My guess is it will hit full spool 500-700 RPM sooner.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I don't know how to use multi-quotes so I'll try to answer them all here.

88 Shelby Z
    stock longblock with unknown miles
    medium sized Spearco FMIC with stock sized intercooler tubing (mostly rubber, ha!)
    crushed FPR with a 5th injector
    MP STGII PCM
    stock 2.25" SV, DP, then up to 3" from K frame back.
    MP Plus turbo (stock with a .63 AR exhaust)
    Open filter on turbo inlet
    Some sort of underdrive pulley

That's all that's done to it. 249 WHP, 290 WTQ at 18 or so psi. Car usually runs 20 on the street.

THAT IS A 3RD gear dyno pull!! The car had toast tires on it when I did it and wasn't too keen on that much MPH. I will re-do the test in third to veryify, then a few in fourth for fun. I did a baseline with the stock intercooler in 4th gear and it made 236 WHP. It ran a best of 14.006 @ 103 on the stock IC, then a 13.81 @ 105.5 with the FMIC. 2.36 60' on some cheap 'ol Kumho's, as driven to the track, no changes.

Simon, I don't know if I would go that far, but thanks for the compliments.

Cordes, hopefully you're in the right ballpark. I think the stock SV is going to be a big problem, and I will have another remedy for that as soon as this test is done. I'll probably make a little externally gated 02 housing with a seperate DP in the next week or so and see how that changes. I'm expecting a lot from that.

Anonymous- who knows! It's a straight up MP cal , STGII. I am 100% maxed out on fuel with the 5th and a very crushed FPR. If it goes as planned I'll need to turn the boost down so I don't run out. Car runs a solid 12.3-12.5 AFR at WOT at anywhere from 18-20 psi.

There will be no cal tweaking. 1) Because I don't have the ability to do so, 2) I'd rather see what it bolts up and does. Just in case I or JT were to make some people would have an idea of what kind of gains to expect.

Bryan- I'm not worried about my welding abilities! If someone wants a pretty bead they can have it all day long. I made this thing in my spare time with scraps of pipe. I'm not going to complain. Everyone has their own methods to welding, right or wrong. All I know is I've never had a header crack yet, even when trapping at 183 MPH on pump fuel, or laying down over 1400 WHP out of a 36X CI street motor.

I agree about the spool! This thing was laggy really, for as little power as it makes. My old S50 setup on my '86 only spooled 500 rpms later. This guy doesn't hit well until 3500 or so rpms! Crazy for how small it is.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is a really late spool for sure. I am very surprised by that.

To do multiple quotes hit the little plus sign next to the quote button for each person you want to quote then hit reply.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Beautiful, just beautiful. Good job. And, as said, back to back, THAT is great.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast