Thread: Oil Filters Revealed

Oil Filters Revealed

I've done a major update to the old "Oil Filter Study" on my website. It contains updates for 2008, new pictures and rescans of the old ones, coverage of HP1 and a Toyota filter, and a complete reorganization of the information to make clear what may have not been clear before: there are not as many filters to choose from as you may think. There is also a chart to help you learn how to identify manufacturers.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Russ

boostaholic

Re: Oil Filters Revealed

Awesome Russ! I've seen reference to your filter study all over the place...people are reading!

The last study was great. I'm looking forward to reading the updated one.
    Thanks Russ,
    Frank H.

turbo addict

I used to always use Mopar filters until I read the first article: Mobile ever since.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice work Russ!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Russ - thank you. A very valuable contribution, again. This is the kind of thing that belies those in established media who denigrate the internet. Thanks again.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

looks good.

just a heads up: i spotted a small contradiction while reading the purolator section. the paragraphs state that the bypass valve for the premium plus and the pureone is at the back of the filter, but the tables for both specify that the bypass valve is at the front.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#purolator

boostaholic

Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by magtec View Post
    looks good.

just a heads up: i spotted a small contradiction while reading the purolator section. the paragraphs state that the bypass valve for the premium plus and the pureone is at the back of the filter, but the tables for both specify that the bypass valve is at the front.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#purolator
    Thanks. Yes, the '99 has it in the front but the '08 has it in the back. I'll fix it.

turbo addict

I don't see anything on teh Mopar filters. am I just missing it?

The top section of each page has a link to each article.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/mopar.html

Garrett booster

this is a great review, and i have been looking for it to show some people. i think it should be back to the top and should be kept in our minds!!!

i have bookmarked your page minimopar!!!

Thanks for the GREAT information!!!
    Alex

Russ, if you are interested in them I can send you a few different Audi oil filters. LMK.

Thanks, but I think I am done.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wow I'm really impressed with all the data. I don't know how I missed this

I actually got in contact with someone who works for a company that does SAE testing for oil filter manufacturers. Although I do state that I can't say anything about the media itself (the most important part), I do draw some conclusion based on some assumptions. They turn out not to be entirely correct.

Though most of his results jive with what I expected, one surprise was that the Fram filters do have above average holding capacity and filtration performance, even though they tend to have the lowest surface area of the entire group. That means that although they cut corners on the design in other ways, they are using a high quality media. They filter better than Wix, though Wix wins on capacity. They both blow away Purolator, which is not a surprise given the price for one of those.

I don't know if I'll be able to publish any of that data, though....

turbo addict

Good info. Its all rather priceless information. I was taught in an automotive class that you got what you paid for when it came to an oil filter. It seems to be correct for the most part, but after reading your write-up not entirely so.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

Awesome russ, I've been using this for years and passing on the knowledge to other forums as well. Thanks.
    Former: 1989 Daytona Shelby 1990 Lebaron GTC Current: 2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0t "I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." -Mitch Hedberg