Thread: Hub R&R tips

turbo addict

Hub R&R tips

well i have to replace my front right hub on my car and since its a cs it has the better supsention so i had to get the(as the computer says it) 15-16in shelly rims/verson. So i bought one today and wanted to know if there is anything i should know about a hub r and r before i go about it

turbo addict

Re: Hub R&R tips

You got a used hub, or you wanna spruce up the knuckle?

On the knuckle you just wanna brush off the loose rust and run a tap down any threaded holes to clean them up. On a used hub, you wanna inspect both sides of the bearing and makes sure there's no flakes of rust trying to work their way in, try and hose it off with lubricant oil or something, not brake cleaner, which will work into the sealed bearing and kill the grease. Try not to get too much in there anyway. Clean it off, then stick your hand in a baggie and get a blob of fresh grease on your finger and rub it around, trying to push as much down the crack as possible. Do this to a new hub too. Then on the back/inside of the hub when you're fitting it, you want to "fillet" around the bearing with grease, on the front side just leave a light coat. Then torque it down to the knuckle right, clean off the end of your drive shaft so it doesn't drop gritty crap either side of the bearing when you put it through. Put her together and most importantly, torque the hub nut correctly when you put the wheel back down. Don't do it hand tight then figure you can drive to your buddies to borrow a torque wrench, do it then and there before it rolls.

heh, hope that managed to cover whatever you're asking, not really clear.

turbo addict

i got a new hub though my work, all it has is the bearings and wheel studs in it.

It should be a bolt in hub. The small brake cars have a press in hub, but yours should have a bolt in style.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

Four 15mm (I believe) bolts on the back (inside) of the spindle. Have someone hold the brake pedal down while you break the axle nut loose. Jack the car up, remove the axle nut, wheel, caliper and brake rotor. Then remove the four 15mm bolts with a wrench and pull the hub bearing assembly out and replace it with the new one then reverse the steps.

turbo addict

well i finally installed the hub today, and i STILL have a ticking noise when i take a left turn, what else could it be, cv shaft is new