Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: L body fuel system upgrade

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

L body fuel system upgrade

Anyone have some ideas on mounting a fuel cell in an L body?

The time has come to retire the Walbro in-tank and stock lines/rail. I've got a few parts on the shelf already, like a S60 pump and -6 feed that I'll probably be using. I'll upgrade the rail, and then swap from a rail mounted AFPR to an Aeromotive AFPR also, as I can run AN fittings and braded line on everything.

So, I'm trying to decide what to do for a fuel tank. I'm not ready to go race only, so I don't want to go with a small 3gal cell up front. It would be convenient to drop something in the spare tire well, but I don't think it would pass tech without some sort of vented enclosure seperating the hatch area from the driver. I could cut out the spare tire well, and sheet over it, and then mount a cell underneath that area.

I also have a new stock tank on hand, but don't know if putting a sump on it will end up being too low. The S60 pump came out of another charger that just had the pump mounted externally, and then the inlet plumbed to a piece of rubber tubing laying on the bottom of the tank. Pumps are designed to push, not pull, so that is not something I want to duplicate.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: L body fuel system upgrade

You can put it in the spare tire well if you have a firewall over it like I got

EDIT: 5 gallon...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I know that AM welded a piece to the tank on their talon which allowed them to run everything off of the stock tank. that seems like the way to go.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

what do you run for a firewall JT?
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Doesn't it it have a negative impact on traction to move the fuel tank from in front of the rear axle to behind it?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Doesn't it it have a negative impact on traction to move the fuel tank from in front of the rear axle to behind it?
    Yeah, which would be one argument for modifying the stock tank.

In JT's case though, his car is a pig no matter where that weight is... and 5 gallons at least weighs less than the 12.5(?) gal stock tank.

Is anyone running a S60 style pump on the stock tank? Without having a two pump set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    what do you run for a firewall JT?
    .030 aluminum or whatever the rules say... I'll find a pic.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbe View Post

Is anyone running a S60 style pump on the stock tank? Without having a two pump set-up?

Im running a S60 pump with a carb'd tank. Works pretty good... as long as I have more than 1/4 tank of gas.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Im running a S60 pump with a carb'd tank. Works pretty good... as long as I have more than 1/4 tank of gas.
    How is it set up to draw fuel from the tank? I assume its all downhill from the tank to the pump?

How is it set up to draw fuel from the tank? I assume its all downhill from the tank to the pump?
    Nope,, actually the pump is above the tank. Its not an ideal situation, but it hasn't become a problem yet. I really have been meaning to swap in a TBI tank and turbo pump.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Maybe I'm worried about it too much. That's the same way this S60 pump was mounted when I pulled it.

turbo addict

I kinda like the idea of the carbed pump with an external, but I suppose it would help if one could get the pump mounted in a lower position to try to get the siphoning effect. There are some really good external pumps out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. My friend found that when he was modding anything on his 67 Nova that if you wanted to reuse what you had it always ended up costing more to do it that way then starting from scratch. That may no apply here, but just a thought.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Ok, I'm going to order a weld-in sump from Competition Engineering through Summit. I already have a new L-body tank on hand, so now is the time to weld something to it.

Looks like I have a choice of 1/2" NPT and 3/8" NPT for the bungs, and will probably just go with the 1/2". -8 feed and -6 return should give plenty of fuel for my set-up.

Cool Re: L body fuel system upgrade

I have one in my Omni. I had to split the pickup assembly into two sections so I could get the pump through the hole. I put flare couplers on the tubes and reconnect them after the pump is inside. Been using it for about 10 years, never had a problem.

Ok, I'm going to order a weld-in sump from Competition Engineering through Summit. I already have a new L-body tank on hand, so now is the time to weld something to it.

Looks like I have a choice of 1/2" NPT and 3/8" NPT for the bungs, and will probably just go with the 1/2". -8 feed and -6 return should give plenty of fuel for my set-up.
    A little tip... instead of cutting out the whole square or rectangle to put the sump in, mark the area and use a hole saw to cut a bunch of 1" holes in the area covered by the sump. It acts like a cheap baffle. Also be careful of the placement of the sump, as the rear axle beam is pretty close to the rear of the tank.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Nice sump... let me know when you need it welded in.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Well, the sump was cheap compared to the $300 of braided line and fittings I ordered to go with it.

Picked up a -8 inline Fuel Filter too. FWDperf is currently out of the fuel rails, but it will take me a little while to get everything else together first anyway.

Ok, two years later...

Was playing with the sump today. I can get the fittings to clear the rear axle without any issues. Definitely not going to be able to get the pump lower or level with the sump very easily. Thinking about putting a bracket where the current external pump is (1986 two pump set-up currently...)

Anyone think this will cause issues, either with pump priming on start up, or cavitation later? Does it defeat the purpose of the sump?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How low does that sump sit when the car is on the ground? Perhaps it's just the angle, but I would be worried about something ripping off the lines if I went over it. Obviously that could be avoided wit proper routing I suppose.

About 2" lower than a stock tank. ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast