Thread: P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

boostaholic

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

I got the code in the title driving around today. Transmission feels fine, car still drives like normal. It didn't throw me into limp mode. I tried to clear the code, but it won't go away.

I'm not sure what to check. It looks like a special scanner that can talk to the Transmission system is needed to find out what the transmission specific code is, 'cause this P0700 just looks like a generic code. I really can't afford this right now. Even though the car seems to be driving just fine, I think I'm going to just park it and drive my truck until I can figure something out.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

unfortunately p0700 IS a generic code and doesnt tell you anything specific no matter what scanner you use. Its USUALLY accompanied by a more specific code.

turbo addict

That is the only code I got when my friends Avenger had an output speed sensor go out. After replacing it his car never went into limp mode and drove fine ever since. The boggling part is yeah no codes with it since its newer and no limp mode or issues. Does autostick seem to work okay too then I take it?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

lol... If I remember correctly I have told you that those tranys wont last long with more than the factory power...

As for me I have repaired that tranny 3 times

turbo addict

The best thing to do would be to get a scanner that can read input and output shaft speed among all the other parameters. Basically you will want to know right away if it is in fact slipping. You may not feel it yet, but it is possible. More likely than not an input speed sensor issue as with the output speed the trans will still function IIRC. Of course my van is dumb and even when the speedo didn't work it still shifted..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by R/Tony View Post
    lol... If I remember correctly I have told you that those tranys wont last long with more than the factory power...

As for me I have repaired that tranny 3 times
    It's far from stock, this transmission was built to handle over 425 to the wheels. I have less than 5000 miles on it since it was beefed up. I have over $3k into this transmission. So if you're thinking I've been pushing more than factory power through a stock 41TE, then no, you are not remembering correctly.

I didn't get a chance to do anything with it last night like I had planned.

Yes autostick works fine. There is nothing but that single P0700 code. Really just haven't had time to mess with it, or even call my transmission builder. Parked the car in the garage when I got home Saturday after it threw the code, and haven't touched it since.

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    It's far from stock, this transmission was built to handle over 425 to the wheels. I have less than 5000 miles on it since it was beefed up. I have over $3k into this transmission. So if you're thinking I've been pushing more than factory power through a stock 41TE, then no, you are not remembering correctly.

I didn't get a chance to do anything with it last night like I had planned.

Yes autostick works fine. There is nothing but that single P0700 code. Really just haven't had time to mess with it, or even call my transmission builder. Parked the car in the garage when I got home Saturday after it threw the code, and haven't touched it since.
    Yea.. I can barely remember your setup, but I do.

Well as the other guys said, the P0700 code is only a warning, usualy it comes with limp mode, but its just a reminder that you need to check the tranny with a scanner.
    When you are pushing too much hps in your car, the first weak point are the discs, maybe the torque converter.
    I was running 15lbs and a 50hps shot and I was leading to the tranny shop within 4 months.

boostaholic

Last night I jacked the car up, crawled under it, visually inspected the trans and axles. Checked all the sensors going to it, wiggled them around, pushed them in. Everything. Checked the trans fluid, looks brand new (it should only 5000 miles on it!), no signs of any metal flakes in it.

Disconnected the battery, went inside did a few other things, went back out, reconnected the battery, started the car up, code is gone. Took it for a test drive, still shifting fine through every gear. Let it shift on it's on in Drive, then put it in Autostick and shifted up and down through every gear without problem. Light did not come back on.

Drove my 13 miles to work this morning, no problems, light hasn't come back on.

turbo addict

Maybe when you hit that chuck hole or whatever the PCM saw a change in the speed between input and output shaft speed that seemed abnormal. The newer cars seems to much more uber sensitive to that sort of thing. Glad to hear its gone for now.