Thread: What is needed to use nutserts?

What is needed to use nutserts?

I had a thread out there about how to bolt the 3in downpipe to the 3in swingvalve to 63a/r housing.

One post mentioned nutserts. I've been doing some research, but can't find alot of good info other how much everything costs.

As it stands, I didn't know a tool was needed to insert a nutsert. The images I seen, it looked like they were pressed in. In researching, I find the nutsert is pulled in to the hole.

What I have right now. My trusty craftsmen swivel riveting tool. I also have 8mm nutserts. Can I buy the correct adapter and use my rivet gun? Is there a home made tool way to go about this?

Also, some general directions on which end of the nutsert goes into the drilled hole?

later
    James
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Re: What is needed to use nutserts?

Pics would help greatly.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Here's some pics from Car Craft, scroll down for more pics.

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild.../photo_18.html
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Here's some pics from Car Craft, scroll down for more pics.

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild.../photo_18.html
    That's the tool. I had to buy one to put my roof rack on. It was about $70. You can get that tool at Napa. It's also called a "Thread Setter." You can change the rod to do different size nut serts.

A.J.

turbo addict

bahh, 8x1.25mm heli-coil works better and easy to replace if you do mess it up. it's what I have in my 3" swingvalve and bolting it up is a cake walk, all my swingvalves will have heli-coils installed in them from now on.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    bahh, 8x1.25mm heli-coil works better and easy to replace if you do mess it up. it's what I have in my 3" swingvalve and bolting it up is a cake walk, all my swingvalves will have heli-coils installed in them from now on.
    True. Nutserts work best in sheet metal. When you can't get to the other side to tighten down the nut like a roof rack. I should have said that before.

A.J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    +2 I would not use nutserts on a DP.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

we use them all the time in aircrafts. Mostly in aluminum tubing. I dont see why they woulod be any good in a downpipe though.

yea its like a rivet gun lookin thing but $70? Im pretty sure my dad bought on online from napa and it was like $30

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

[QUOTE=inmyshadow;539839]I had a thread out there about how to bolt the 3in downpipe to the 3in swingvalve to 63a/r housing.

Why not just use a nut?
    85 Shelby Charger Commonblock T-II, GT3076, TU Cast Header, 3" SV, TU R-2 Plus Billet Cam, TU Custom Calibration

turbo addict

cause you have to fight with a nut, and a 3" Swingvalve on a .63 housing is very very tight. With my heli-coils I just put a socket wrench with a long extension on the bolt, lay on the floor and feed it up through the flange to the swingvalve from behind the kmember. Just get it to the swingvalve and start turning the wrench, no need to use a 2nd hand to try and hold a nut up there to get started etc.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have no problem, no fight at all using a nut. I use a nut that uses a 10mm wrench.
    85 Shelby Charger Commonblock T-II, GT3076, TU Cast Header, 3" SV, TU R-2 Plus Billet Cam, TU Custom Calibration