Thread: Cool Engineering DRB II from eBay

Garrett booster

Cool Engineering DRB II from eBay

Last week I purchased a DRB II from eBay. It was listed as coming "from the Engineering Lab of a closed manufacturing facility that built Automotive Electronics for Chrysler Corporation." I figured I'd take pictures and document this thing.

The unit itself had the letters A-F labeled on various buttons, presumably for hex values of some sort. The most mysterious thing that I wanted from this unit was the cartridge. This unit only came with the "guts" of a cartridge and a mysterious chip.

After getting it home I realized that there was a mysterious on/off switch (labeled 1 or 0) on the clear flash adapter. I still haven't figured out why it is there. I also noticed the ferrule on the cable coming from the DRB, probably to limit interference when flashing chips perhaps.

I booted the unit up and it gave me an error and random hex values that changed when I hit the unit. I then restarted it and it showed:
    "DRB-II
    Engineering Software
    Copyright 1986-1991
    Chrysler Corp. V5.0"

After that screen it showed:

It was kinda disappointing to see it was only a CCD developmental cart. The following screens showed various functions like "Bus Analyzer," "Bus Voltage Test," "Scroll Monitor," and another CCD related test screen. Some of these things are the same thing featured on my DRB II Super Cartridge V7.0, the blue cart.

The following screens then prompted whether or not it was a SBEC-I or SBEC-II. This was followed by showing the inputs to sensors such as Speed and TPS values. This is something that my other DRB II can do.

So all in all I guess it wasn't too bad of a deal. I will probably make a cable for this unit and resell it at a later time as a known working model, but I'll tinker around with it, perhaps I'll find something I haven't seen before.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Cool Engineering DRB II from eBay

That looks like a regular Cart, just socketed. I'd love to copy the chip when you get done playing If/when I get around to working on the TCM's it will probably come in handy...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Re: Cool Engineering DRB II from eBay

I can probably send you the chip. I'll have to play with it a bit more, especially with a car that has a CCD bus like my Daytona, and when I get done I can send it to you.