Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rare is a Lebaron GTC ?

Hybrid booster

How rare is a Lebaron GTC ?

Hi,

I can buy a Lebaron GTC turbo II or VNT for only a few bucks.
    I would like to know if it is a rare car or not.
    The turbo must be changed, the rest of the car is in very good condition.
    I need some parts from my shadow though, so I would like to get your comments.

Louis

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: How rare is a Lebaron GTC ?

Just a GTC is not that uncommon. A factory TII or VNT car however is pretty rare, only a few hundred of each were made. But I have no idea how many were exported to Europe.

If it's a TII then it's an 89 and they only made 1,033 hard tops and 903 convertibles. If it's a TIV then its a 90 and they only made 123 hard tops and 132 convertibles. That being said, any GTC from 1989 to 1992 was rare. Even the TI models. However, in 93 almost all LeBarons were GTCs and in 94 and 95 they were all GTCs.
    Last edited by Polygon; 10-29-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

That's good to know, since I just bought Bozo's '89 Turbo GTC He did give me a paper showing it's one of a very few in it's particular color combo.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

I still can't believe he sold the clown car. Yeah, they didn't make many pewter GTCs. Mine used to that cars twin.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for your answers.

Were the suspensions specific to the GTC 2.2TII ?

Can someone could gives me the Lebaron GTC 2.2TII and the shadow 2.5TI weights ?

The Lebarons seem heavier and bigger than the shadows and I'm looking for a sporty car.

No, the suspension was not specific to the TII GTC. Both the 89 GTC T1 and TII got the same suspension. As for weight, they would be the same for either GTC. Both of mine weighed in at about 2,800 pounds.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

My Shadow ES weighed just over 2700lbs. when I had it weighed once.

Hybrid booster

Thanks,

So there are only 100 lbs between a shadow and a lebaron
    I thought that the lebarons were larger and with all of their accessories weighted much more

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
    Thanks,

So there are only 100 lbs between a shadow and a lebaron
    I thought that the lebarons were larger and with all of their accessories weighted much more
    It can depend on the options. For example, the power seats in the Daytonas weigh much more than the regular ones. That alone adds over 60lbs.

If you could find a Shadow with few options, but the turbo it would be significantly lighter than a heavily optioned Lebaron coupe or vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I still can't believe he sold the clown car. Yeah, they didn't make many pewter GTCs. Mine used to that cars twin.
    You have any numbers on how many there? It has the factory sunroof too.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

No, the suspension was not specific to the TII GTC. Both the 89 GTC T1 and TII got the same suspension. As for weight, they would be the same for either GTC. Both of mine weighed in at about 2,800 pounds.
    That seems a bit light. My '88 Shelby Z comes in at 3215# with me in it (I was around 165 at that time) and a full tank of gas and it doesn't have the factory full power seats in it and it's a hard-top car (I did have it in "street" trim with the full stereo in it, but I always keep the full-size spare for weight balance). I had an '89 LeBaron 'vert and that thing was HEAVY.

My '90 Daytona (base, but V6) comes in around 2800#'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    You have any numbers on how many there? It has the factory sunroof too.
    I forgot that car has a sunroof. That would make it even more rare. Sadly, I tried to get production numbers and colors out of Chrysler but all I was told was that they didn't keep production number on that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    That seems a bit light. My '88 Shelby Z comes in at 3215# with me in it (I was around 165 at that time) and a full tank of gas and it doesn't have the factory full power seats in it and it's a hard-top car (I did have it in "street" trim with the full stereo in it, but I always keep the full-size spare for weight balance). I had an '89 LeBaron 'vert and that thing was HEAVY.

My '90 Daytona (base, but V6) comes in around 2800#'s.
    Well, the convertible LeBaron would be heavy. It has a lot of bracing to increase strength since they cut the roof off. That weight I posted was without the driver and about 1/4 of a tank of gas. And, yep, I'm pretty sure. I had it weighed on a scale designed to weigh cars. I was interested in the actual weight of the car. Had I been in it with a full tank of gas it would have been over 3,000 pounds.

turbo addict

Hmm...interesting on the weight. I forgot your was a hard-top though. That does make a huge difference! LOL Just as a side note my car has also been on race scales twice. For not having coil-overs or any kind of actual weight jacking done to the car it is VERY balanced! Per Schroder from Grassroots Motorsports was actually very impressed when he saw the numbers on the scales! I took that as a great compliment.

BTW, technically the LeBaron convertible did NOT have the roof simply cut off. It was designed from the start to be a convertible. They were built in the factory as convertibles, unlike most of the other convertibles of the day that were aftermarket hack jobs (like the T-top cars, and even the Shadow convertibles).

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

What about the silver 4 door Lebaron GTS I see at work?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    What about the silver 4 door Lebaron GTS I see at work?
    An 89 GTS is rare (will be the only year GTS to have its badge in decals, not chromed badge)
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

If it's a TII then it's an 89 and they only made 1,033 hard tops and 903 convertibles. If it's a TIV then its a 90 and they only made 123 hard tops and 152 convertibles. That being said, any GTC from 1989 to 1992 was rare. Even the TI models. However, in 93 almost all LeBarons were GTCs and in 94 and 95 they were all GTCs.
    I believe the 1990 GTC VNT convertible production qty. was 132 units not 152.....typo maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fields View Post
    I believe the 1990 GTC VNT convertible production qty. was 132 units not 152.....typo maybe
    Whoops!

Yep, that was a typo.

Mitsu booster

Hello, im new to this website! I have a chrysler lebaron gtc 91 3.0l manual 5 speed but i want to put a turbo on it! u guys think is a good idea???

Quote Originally Posted by Skalariak1 View Post
    Hello, im new to this website! I have a chrysler lebaron gtc 91 3.0l manual 5 speed but i want to put a turbo on it! u guys think is a good idea???
    It's been done quite a few times now Look in the 3.0 Turbo section for more info.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast