Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromoly Lower Control Arms for Sale

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Chromoly Lower Control Arms for Sale

I am happy to say I will be making my control arms available for those that have been interested these past couple years. These control arms are based off of the dual pivot design and can work with a stock K-frame or in conjunction with Brian's tubular piece.

I could go into allot of detail on these but most if not all has been covered in the thread I started when I was first working on the design. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rol-Arm-Design

So to skip the end here are some stats for the phase two design which is what I am selling.

• 4130 Chromoly construction
    • ~5.75lbs each depending on kingpin specifications. Compared to 7.75lbs for the phase one design and over 11lbs for the factory cast arms.
    • Maximum deflection of just over 1/32" with an applied 1000lb load in the weakest direction
    • All bearings are self lubricating with the rod ends being self sealing to keep out contaminants
    • Custom kingpin dimensions to suit customer application
    • Sway bar provisions with the use of end links (customer provided)
    • Spacers sized for use with factory K-frame and bolts

Price - $600 per set

I currently have two sets sold and would like to make a batch of five so I am gauging interest to see if I should make a smaller or larger batch.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Chromoly Lower Control Arms for Sale

Those are looking good DJ,Thanks to all of your hard work we can all enjoy these on the street.Good luck with the sale.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

How would they work out on a daily driver with salt, rain etc
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    they appear to be powdercoated. that should answer your Q!

DJ do these work with johnny's sway bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

Not the arms you dumbass.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Man that is one sweet pic! Can hardly wait to bolt these babies on!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

The rod ends are designed for off road use and are self sealing and self lubricating. They use a chrome plated ball and a corrosion coated chromoly body. The spherical is not sealed but it is still self lubricating. It uses a chrome plated ball and a stainless steel body. So both have resistance to corrosion but salt will take its toll on just about anything. Some periodical shots with graphite lube won't hurt anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

Currently the plan is to iron nitride the arms and kingpins. This is the same process we are using on much of the steel on a subsea drill we are building right now. We have been doing tests with iron nitrided steel in tubs of salt water and it has been holding up quite well. The nice thing is it also penetrates the steel a fair ways so the odd rock bouncing up shouldn't get through the protection.

The sway bar attachment currently on the arms was designed to drill a 1/2" hole through the end of the stock sway bar and attach the end link with some bolts. Looking at Johnny's design I may be able to make it work but would need some numbers from him to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    The rod ends are designed for off road use and are self sealing and self lubricating. They use a chrome plated ball and a corrosion coated chromoly body. The spherical is not sealed but it is still self lubricating. It uses a chrome plated ball and a stainless steel body. So both have resistance to corrosion but salt will take its toll on just about anything. Some periodical shots with graphite lube won't hurt anything either.

Currently the plan is to iron nitride the arms and kingpins. This is the same process we are using on much of the steel on a subsea drill we are building right now. We have been doing tests with iron nitrided steel in tubs of salt water and it has been holding up quite well. The nice thing is it also penetrates the steel a fair ways so the odd rock bouncing up shouldn't get through the protection.
    Thank you. Now I gotta start saving.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

subscribed...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

So are these based off the caster inducing 91+ arms or the older 89/90 caster arms?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    So are these based off the caster inducing 91+ arms or the older 89/90 caster arms?
    91+ caster but there should be enough room in the spacers on a sock K-frame to pull the arms back as from what I know the 91+ arms move the ball joint forward some. That being said, I'm sure you're looking for more caster if anything. The now long winded answer is that the rear mount on the 91+ arm is 2.6" wide which I believe is the same for both models as the arms are interchangeable in the K-frame. The rod end is .75" wide and is for the most part centered. That gives close to +/- 1" that can be adjusted with the spacers.

turbo addict

how about these to seal the sphereical bushings?

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    how about these to seal the sphereical bushings?

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp
    It is possible those might work with some modifications. The sphericals used are high misalignment wich is different from the standard forms and the housing will not be the same dimensions as a rod end. The rod end seals may work if one could be found that was deep enough for a high misalignment bearing. Either way I would leave it up to the end user as it puts too much variation into the product and it would also be more expensive for me to buy and resell then for you to buy it yourself.

Hybrid booster

subscribed...

I'll be interested in a pair of these in the next 2 months or so

DJ, is this a limited run or will you be making them for awhile. It comes down to SDAC or these, lol, but if your going to make them in the future, then its not so much of a big deal.

DJ, is this a limited run or will you be making them for awhile. It comes down to SDAC or these, lol, but if your going to make them in the future, then its not so much of a big deal.
    Right now I'm trying to gauge the interest. I would like to do a run of 5 that I plan to have finished by late April and I don't really care if they don't all sell right away. What I don't want is to be sitting on them for the next 5 years if there are only really one or two people interested and I miss-gauged the market. So I wouldn't call it a limited run as I will continue to make them as long as there is interest.

For the larger picture, I find myself fabbing allot of components for myself that I feel make my car better and aren't currently available. I would like to start making some of these parts available to others who don't have the access to equipment or abilities that I have. With these and other ideas I have I think I can make a small product line which will eventually spread beyond the TD world. Unfortunately for some I will strive to maintain as high of a quality piece as I can which means things may cost a tad more but I would prefer that behind my name then a larger quantity sold. I've been meaning and wanting to start a company for years and if all goes right by the time these are made they will be sold under my new name. Right now I am just getting through the legistics and hope to have things settled by mid March. Stay tuned.

Gotcha.

Well put me down for a set. Honestly, time frame unknown, but this year, lol. If I do well parting out my Daytona, then sooner rather than later.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

It's about time you got around to doing these! I had to become a vendor just so you would get off your a$$

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

DJ, put me down for a set. I gotta convince Brian to give me fair "Carroll price" (at least half off) on the K-frame first then I'll work on you.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by 86trbolancer View Post
    subscribed...

I'll be interested in a pair of these in the next 2 months or so
    Just let me know.

Gotcha.

Well put me down for a set. Honestly, time frame unknown, but this year, lol. If I do well parting out my Daytona, then sooner rather than later.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    It's about time you got around to doing these! I had to become a vendor just so you would get off your a$$
    Lol......ya thanks for the nudge Brian. I'm still not sure if it's up hill or off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    DJ, put me down for a set. I gotta convince Brian to give me fair "Carroll price" (at least half off) on the K-frame first then I'll work on you.
    Works for me Ccaarrooll. Fly your a$$ up here and we talk about it on the chairlift.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast