Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 hp on a 8v??

turbo addict

Re: 400 hp on a 8v??

Wasn't bustin' on you Andy ... and I know you weren't either. I agree with you 110% ... hope he hangs in.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Nobody busting chops here....just curious. I've known plenty to go at it too hard and have to walk away from it for awhile...but few sell a car off that far along in build process and ever come back to the hobby.

It's getting harder and harder to find these cars...especially CSX-T's! I believe there was one at SDAC last year? ONE!

I hope if he sells it than he doesn't end up regretting it
    I don't think anyone is busting anyone's chops.

I had to step away in 03 or 04, blew 2 motors in one week, long story, after about 3 months, got the itch and haven't given up since.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

...so yours was? Was it because you didn't reach 400hp?
    No thats not it. Hell all I wanted for years was a 300 whp T-M. After I shot past that I figured why not 400. I have not been afraid to spend money on this car. Even to the point where it has caused issues on the home front.
    That in it self is an eye opener. I'll post picks of the "straw" when I get home from work.

Hybrid booster

Knowing I was going to try for 400 whp. I wanted the car to have A good chance at living. So I spent $$$$. In fact one of the biggest dollar items was. My Ramsdell built 555/520 hybrid with trans plate & OBX. Now I spent $1400 between cores , parts and cliff's labor. Now don't say thats not alot, when most in this community would not pay half of that for a whole car. Well 4,000 miles and 4 passes later. I have this.

Yes the case is broken, the main shaft is shot. The only bright spot is that Cliff is a stand up guy and willing to work with me to get it fixed. So I spent yesterday driving 350 miles round trip to bring this pyle of scrap to him. All this and I've not hit 400 whp yet. So thats the straw. I'll pay yet again to get it fixed up. But the bleeding stops here.!!! So the new owner will get a freshly rebuilt 555/520 with molly plate and OBX. I'm out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0330001235.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	21492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0330001235a.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	21493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0330001236.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	21494  

That's nasty!

Not trying to start anything, but what kinda oil was in the tranny? I use about 25-30 pecent gear oil to help prevent that from happening.
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CSXT802 View Post
    Knowing I was going to try for 400 whp. I wanted the car to have A good chance at living. So I spent $$$$. In fact one of the biggest dollar items was. My Ramsdell built 555/520 hybrid with trans plate & OBX. Now I spent $1400 between cores , parts and cliff's labor. Now don't say thats not alot, when most in this community would not pay half of that for a whole car. Well 4,000 miles and 4 passes later. I have this.

Yes the case is broken, the main shaft is shot. The only bright spot is that Cliff is a stand up guy and willing to work with me to get it fixed. So I spent yesterday driving 350 miles round trip to bring this pyle of scrap to him. All this and I've not hit 400 whp yet. So thats the straw. I'll pay yet again to get it fixed up. But the bleeding stops here.!!! So the new owner will get a freshly rebuilt 555/520 with molly plate and OBX. I'm out.
    Whoa! Sorry if I'm wrong in reading that but you sound a bit defensive?

Man...let me tell you (and others here can attest) I've lost it all...I mean EVERYTHING! (except furniture) and eventually I found my way back...not because the cars are magical (fun for sure!) but the people are!

Your car friends are the band-aid to stop the bleeding

Ken? James?...step in if your reading

Just take a break man...keep the car. It took me almost 5 years to come back around but I wish I still had the Daytona

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I'm sure you've heard this too many times already, but that Never should have happened! I'd be interested to hear what Cliffs diagnosis is. (looks pretty obvious from the pics, but I'll hold my tongue)

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    That's nasty!

Not trying to start anything, but what kinda oil was in the tranny? I use about 25-30 pecent gear oil to help prevent that from happening.
    I've run Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in every manuel trans we've built for the last 12 years .....Zero issues. (this includes original mileage 555's, 520's, 568's ect as well)

Man...let me tell you (and others here can attest) I've lost it all...I mean EVERYTHING! (except furniture) and eventually I found my way back...not because the cars are magical (fun for sure!) but the people are!

Just take a break man...keep the car. It took me almost 5 years to come back around but I wish I still had the Daytona
    It's one thing to cheap out and blow your S#!T up because you didn't "do it right". You took your chances and it was a 50/50 toss up and you lost....get over it!

It's something Completly different to spend the $'s, do everything right (to the best of your ability and knowlege) and have something like this happen!

I deff sympathize and feel for you bro!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's one thing to cheap out and blow your S#!T up because you didn't "do it right". You took your chances and it was a 50/50 toss up and you lost....get over it!

It's something Completly different to spend the $'s, do everything right (to the best of your ability and knowlege) and have something like this happen!

Huh? I didn't cheap out anywhere It was ex wife doings that ended it for me...and if by chance you are referring to me...I got over it just fine 11's or bust

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Huh? I didn't cheap out anywhere It was ex wife doings that ended it for me...and if by chance you are referring to me...I got over it just fine 11's or bust
    Na na, I'm not talking about you. I'm just making a general statement.

I forgot to mention the part you wrote about the TD brotherhood, Amen to that!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

I'm sure you've heard this too many times already, but that Never should have happened! I'd be interested to hear what Cliffs diagnosis is. (looks pretty obvious from the pics, but I'll hold my tongue)

I've run Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in every manuel trans we've built for the last 12 years .....Zero issues. (this includes original mileage 555's, 520's, 568's ect as well)

To everyone thanks for the encouragement. Here is my take on the failure. I don't think it was the shaft it self. As it does not have the grove cut into the bearing surface. I think the bearing cage broke allowing the rollers to pyle up. Then the shaft movement smacked the gear stack into the shift rail. Breaking the mounting boss and locking it in gear.

To everyone thanks for the encouragement. Here is my take on the failure. I don't think it was the shaft it self. As it does not have the grove cut into the bearing surface. I think the bearing cage broke allowing the rollers to pyle up. Then the shaft movement smacked the gear stack into the shift rail. Breaking the mounting boss and locking it in gear.
    I think it was the shaft, those bearings are very tough.

Either way, just take a step back, regroup. You'll get it running and you'll be, OH SH*T, this is too much fun to sell,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I think it was the shaft, those bearings are very tough.

Either way, just take a step back, regroup. You'll get it running and you'll be, OH SH*T, this is too much fun to sell,
    I know the feeling. I enjoy the power of the car for sure but where does it end.? It's always something. I used to floor it and enjoy the rush of power. Now I floor it and cringe because I'm wondering whats going to tap out.

ha ha ha half the fun. turbo mopars are like hookers, you to want to hit it but you arent too sure of the consequences.

Hybrid booster

For the poor guy that started thread sorry for the hijack. Mods feel free to move content and start another topic with it. I wont mind thats for sure. I just don't know what direction I'm going.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    ha ha ha half the fun. turbo mopars are like hookers, you to want to hit it but you arent too sure of the consequences.
    They just don't make a shot of penicillin for my wallet.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yup. he speaketh the truth.

if you brow beat frank enough, you may be able to get the daytona. its still sitting there in the garage looking pretty.

haggle for the 2.4L and the trans too

i just wanna see the damn thing on the road, no matter who owns it.

brian

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yup. he speaketh the truth.

if you brow beat frank enough, you may be able to get the daytona. its still sitting there in the garage looking pretty.

haggle for the 2.4L and the trans too

i just wanna see the damn thing on the road, no matter who owns it.

brian
    He had better give me first refusal!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

start pestering him. His CSX takes up enough of his time. he doesnt really have the time for the daytona anyway. at least its not parked on grass. its inside.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    It would be good info if Simon,
    Better late than never, best run was low or mid 13's on 25ish psi of boost. Sorry, its been awhile so I don't remember the exact numbers. My biggest issue was a cal, I had a TU cal back in the day and it didn't work, then Shelgame stepped in. No dyno numbers. I was just starting to get the combo running when I melted a head, then put a G-head on and went backwards.

2.5 forged pistons, balanced, windage tray
    Ported swirl head by me, +1mm valves
    Ported 2 piece by me, just basically the mating halves matched, 52mm T/B and the runners opened up.
    Log header
    50 trim T04E, stage III .63 housing
    Full 3 inch exhaust with a FM elbow adapter and stock style DP made by me.
    +40's, 3 bar, 255 pump.
    Stock cam but I started to mess around with cams, tried the Taft stage 2, loved it, had a Stage 3 but never got a chance to try it.

We ran a 4" to 3" adapter right off the housing, again, the compressor wants to feed like a helix just as the exhaust want to exit like a helix. (a good turbo building friend of mine told me this 15 years ago!)
    So your saying that going from 4 inch to 3 inch actually helps as it helps speed up the air? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

And I did run the S-III with both .48 and .63 housings... really not too much difference in "streetability"
    How was lag, power under the curve?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    How was lag, power under the curve?
    I never had a problem with either... but I know how to drive and its a 5-speed.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast