Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: simplest 16 valve head swap

turbo addict

simplest 16 valve head swap

so first off im ready to do a 16 valve conversion now just need some more info. i have heard that the first gen 2.0 dohc head is the simplest head to swap on. what makes it easier than the second or third gen. i plan on running a custom intake and exhaust so that i can use the stock distibuter and junk. another question is what holes do i gotta plug on the head i would like some more pictures or info on that. also my last question is about injectors and what choices do i have for them i plan for 400 horses in this lbody so i have been told 72pph will do well any info would help and yes i have looked most of this up and not found a whole lot before asking and these are my last questions un answered

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: simplest 16 valve head swap

The simplest is a TIII head swap, all completely bolt on-the only issue is the intake if you run the distributor-needs moving out, but there hard to find.

There really is no difference with any year DOHC head except the manifold bolt patterns are different but still lots of manifold options available.

There are plenty of links in this section showing pics etc but I am sure someone can post up more.

Good luck, its alot of work but so much fun, I love my 2.5 TIII engine,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The simplest is a TIII head swap, all completely bolt on-the only issue is the intake if you run the distributor-needs moving out, but there hard to find.

There really is no difference with any year DOHC head except the manifold bolt patterns are different but still lots of manifold options available.

There are plenty of links in this section showing pics etc but I am sure someone can post up more.

Good luck, its alot of work but so much fun, I love my 2.5 TIII engine,
    have heard that the lotus cams are super fragile are the aftermarket ones the same way

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    have heard that the lotus cams are super fragile are the aftermarket ones the same way
    Cams? nope, stock they did tend to go flat but they are easily reground or repaired. The heads do like to crack but 99% are easily fixed. The rockers are fragile but can also be fixed and new lifters are available from FWD. The bottom end is all regular TM stuff.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Cams? nope, stock they did tend to go flat but they are easily reground or repaired. The heads do like to crack but 99% are easily fixed. The rockers are fragile but can also be fixed and new lifters are available from FWD. The bottom end is all regular TM stuff.
    cracking? tell me more and yeah my bottom end is gonna be built like a tank gonna do it right the first time but the top end is the problem getting to that 400 horse mark that and tuning and i would like a 16 valve if i want more than 400 horse and the motor im starting withs a common block 2.5 but im afriaid it will not rev high enough for my light car to be worth while

turbo addict

Maserati is easier, isn't it but more expensive?
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    maybe but i know trying to get parts is a royal pain

cracking? tell me more and yeah my bottom end is gonna be built like a tank gonna do it right the first time but the top end is the problem getting to that 400 horse mark that and tuning and i would like a 16 valve if i want more than 400 horse and the motor im starting withs a common block 2.5 but im afriaid it will not rev high enough for my light car to be worth while
    The heads tend to crack between the cam galley but its fixable. I have lighter and stronger rods, its balanced and rev it to 7000 rpm, but I wouldn't recommend it staying there all the time. The heads flow so much and you have alot of power under the curve. If you want a revver, go 2.2L.

This is my buildup if interested-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...highlight=TIII

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post

I think your right but parts are unobtanium and more than the TIII,

turbo addict

The heads tend to crack between the cam galley but its fixable. I have lighter and stronger rods, its balanced and rev it to 7000 rpm, but I wouldn't recommend it staying there all the time. The heads flow so much and you have alot of power under the curve. If you want a revver, go 2.2L.

This is my buildup if interested-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...highlight=TIII

I think your right but parts are unobtanium and more than the TIII,

yeah you cant rebuild a masi since you cant get parts for them and im not sure what i want since the van i bought has a freshly rebuilt 2.5 in it ready to go would just have to swap the head and its good for 300 or so but i think i would like the revs or a 2.2 in a 86 sc

yeah you cant rebuild a masi since you cant get parts for them and im not sure what i want since the van i bought has a freshly rebuilt 2.5 in it ready to go would just have to swap the head and its good for 300 or so but i think i would like the revs or a 2.2 in a 86 sc
    If you run a TIII head, you need custom pistons otherwise the compression is too low. Neon head, your fine.

turbo addict

If you run a TIII head, you need custom pistons otherwise the compression is too low. Neon head, your fine.
    thought the 2.5 pistons were ok to run with the 16 valve but if i have to change them then im going full forged pistons rods and 4 bolt mains and be done with it. guess i will have to find a lotus head awhile, that should be fun

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Not true, in you can in fact *find* a Masi head to run, all the top end parts are availble now via RDIperformance.com Valves, springs, shims, buckets, guides... And Like Brad P said, it IS THE SIMPLEST 16V head swap

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

thought the 2.5 pistons were ok to run with the 16 valve but if i have to change them then im going full forged pistons rods and 4 bolt mains and be done with it. guess i will have to find a lotus head awhile, that should be fun
    Nope, the combustion chamber is bigger on a TIII so if you run stock 2.5 pistons, the compression is like 7:1. Cindy has 2.5 TIII pistons on stock.

You will need alot more than a TIII head, you need brackets, pulleys, ps pump and a few other odds and ends. Better off buying a used engine and selling the bottom end to recoup some costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Not true, in you can in fact *find* a Masi head to run, all the top end parts are availble now via RDIperformance.com Valves, springs, shims, buckets, guides... And Like Brad P said, it IS THE SIMPLEST 16V head swap

Why don't you tell us the prices and how much a Masi head is worth, IF you can find one,

turbo addict

heh my post didn't go through. Masi rocks. Gonna need some custom pistions and maybe custom rods. Then just run a 8v Commonblock underneath the head.

turbo addict

Valve Cover Grommets $90
    Spark Plug Valley Seals $80
    Race springs $145
    Buckets $450
    Lash Caps $96
    Ti Retainers $225
    Valve Job - backcut of 30 degrees on intake $275+25 for fuel
    Set lash $???
    Exhaust guides $72

Now that's for the racing parts and setup

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'd be out at the VC grommets.

turbo addict

how much to weld the head? add aluminum plugs, replace the followers and lifters and the worn out camshafts? Oh then there's the oil pump/intermediate shaft issues where you could toast the whole motor at a whim? Am I leaving something out?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Valve Cover Grommets $90
    Spark Plug Valley Seals $80
    Race springs $145
    Buckets $450
    Lash Caps $96
    Ti Retainers $225
    Valve Job - backcut of 30 degrees on intake $275+25 for fuel
    Set lash $???
    Exhaust guides $72

Now that's for the racing parts and setup
    You've left out the price of a head, cams, manifolds What accessory brackets does it use, 8v or Masi stuff?

TIII-

Valve cover gaskets, $60
    Valve job $200 ish
    Guides-$144 if needed-most likely not.
    Updated lifters if you need them-$389
    Springs-reuse
    Valves-most likely reuse
    Valve seals-$49

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    how much to weld the head? add aluminum plugs, replace the followers and lifters and the worn out camshafts? Oh then there's the oil pump/intermediate shaft issues where you could toast the whole motor at a whim? Am I leaving something out?
    Guarantee thats cheaper than buying all the Masi stuff, let alone finding it.

turbo addict

Finding it is easy. A nice phone call or Email to RDIperformance.com and it's done. But like I stated that's for the race parts. I could of re-used my springs/buckets and retainers, lash caps, spark plug valley seals and valve grommets. But I plan to rap this puppy to the moon so I want some light valve train and some new seals.

Well I just picked up a NOS head for $2300. 0 miles complete. Uses regular 8v accesories except for the A/C bracket and a Chevy style A/c compressor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast