Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Prototype cars.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Speaking of Prototype cars.

I was reminded I had these pics on my computer, after seeing the Prototype up at BJ. The first set of pic are of '87 CSX Proto 1, the second set are of '87 CSX Proto 2 or 3(not confirmed which one it was).

Proto 1 is owned by Joe Anderson, some of you may know him, he has been in the SD hobby for 20 years.

Prototype P-Body IC/Rad brackets.

Patched up lower core support.

Fiberglass Prototype Grille.

The side Prototype GFX that Joe took off of Proto 2 or 3 when he owned it.

Re: Speaking of Prototype cars.

This next car is/was owned by a friend of Joe's. It's either Proto 2 or Proto 3, I think Joe said his best guess was 3, it was given by Shelby to Sue Stoney, and she raced it for several years, you can still see where the number decals were on the hood. Joe took off the Prototype bumpers and GFX, and he put an interior and the entire car wiring harness from an '89 Shadow ES, not sure why, but it had to be done for some reason.

turbo addict

awesome, thanks for sharing.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Yeah, really cool to see those. Makes me want one of those now

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Great pics.

Whats with the baby blue engine?

Do I see a turbo Minivan in one of the pics?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice pics & info nBALLS!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Interesting pics, both cars show that they were originally red according the fender tags. (PR5)
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That would be Chrysler Blue TYVM.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Interesting pics, both cars show that they were originally red according the fender tags. (PR5)
    I rememeber stories (maybe from Pettijohn @ SDAC conventions?) of Shelby and Chrysler going back and forth on car colors. Dodge always wanted Red and Shelby always wanted Back or Blue...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Diggin the prototype CD holder in the retired racer!

It'd be nice to see the decals repopped for "proto 3" and shown! Cool pics

Nancy(cant recall her last name at the moment) has one of the other prototypes, 16V, talked to her in the past i could probably find her again if i tried, awesome person

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Yeah, really cool to see those. Makes me want one of those now

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Great pics.

Do I see a turbo Minivan in one of the pics?
    The blue isn't my style either, lol

Yep, that be my turbo mini, back in the day LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice pics & info nBALLS!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Yeah I forgot to mention that, lol. There was also a red 4 door that got delivered at the same time that the three would be Proto cars were delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Diggin the prototype CD holder in the retired racer!

It'd be nice to see the decals repopped for "proto 3" and shown! Cool pics
    That would be cool, not sure if Joe's friend sold the car or not, I'll ask Joe next time I talk to him....

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    Nancy(cant recall her last name at the moment) has one of the other prototypes, 16V, talked to her in the past i could probably find her again if i tried, awesome person
    They made a bunch of other X cars also, Joe has pics of an '87 CSX that was turned into an X car, had 16" pumpers and a 16V.

Joe bought Proto 1 in Idaho of all places. I know Joe also bought a bunch of Shelby parts from Rick Johnson, who, I believe, bought the Birthday car back in '94. (shhhh, Joe also has a few bits from the birthday car, that Rick changed when he owned it.)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics for us.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics for us.

Always glad to post up some of the cool TM stuff I've seen over the last 10 years.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Bringing it back from the dead...

I was sitting here sipping a beer and looking at the '94 Newport Auction catalog and wondering...Are all of the cars listed on pages 24-27 accounted for. We know about Cindy's B-day car and Pettijohns blue car, but what about the other 2 white 89 look-a-likes or the red 89; these are all listed as 88's. Does Joe still own X1? Where did that prototype 87 CSX go that was on ebay a little while back?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Garrett booster

87 CSX #Proto 1-- - 8 valve show room stock prototype -- still own

87 CSX #Proto 2 --- 8 valve factory race car prototype given to Sue Stoney by Shelby- I sold to a friend in Arizona.

87 CSX # X11 ---- 16 Valve Shelby test car at Lotus in England,sold at 1994 Shelby Auction--still own

Cars can be seen at ShelbyRegistry.com

turbo addict

Very cool! Any chance one of these might show up at the PNW meet in May?

A little more history about Proto2.....

I have been friends with Mike and Sue Stoney for quite some time. In 1984 Sue joined the SCCA and completed her driver’s school at the Riverside track in CA. Sue’s gifted driving skills caught Neil Hanneman’s attention while racing in Ontario, CA. Neil’s close ties with Carroll eventually put her in the driver’s seat of a Turbo Mopar and she became one of the few female drivers sponsored by Shelby, Chrysler and B.F.Goodrich. In her Very First National SCCA race at Phoenix International Raceway Sue was driving Showroom Stock and up against some really fast cars, yet she still managed to finish in second place. By the following year she was winning most every time out gaining more and more support from her sponsors. Sue started off racing the GLH Omnis and according to Mike, she was actually the Omni GLHS driver in the April ‘86 Hotrod magazine that spanked the Mustang GT350 in the Shootout. Eventually Carroll provided Sue with CSX Proto2 to test out. Sue was an aggressive driver and if you ever got a close look at the car you would see plenty of rub marks on the body. When the Shelby Dodge Racing Team days were over Carroll gave her Proto2 along with a really sweet low mileage '87 CSX (see photo in post #19). The Stoneys eventually sold Proto2 to an America West pilot in Phoenix who moved to the Great NorthWest where Joe eventually picked it up. Not sure if it was a direct sale or if it bounced around to a few other owners first. Later, TU sponsored Sue’s highly modified ’84 Road Racing Shelby Charger allowing us to use it as a test platform for many of our unique performance products (see photo in post #19). In San Antonio Sue also ran an IMSA car in a GT race and finished third (see photo in post #19). Unfortunately, Sue fell ill in 2002. Not long after that Sue lost her battle with cancer in April of 2003.

Fast forward to 2007, Joe’s friend’s wife contacted us to get Proto2 back into running condition. After dusting it off some and completing a few minor repairs it was once again road worthy. From what I remember there was a '90 VNT with a later model tranny under the hood when we received it. As you can see in the before photos it had sat for quite a while before it was delivered here and needed a bit of engine bay TLC. This was over 5 years ago and I am currently searching for some of the after pictures. I do check in with the owner every 6 months or so just to see how old Proto2 car is running and they always seem very happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3278.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	44245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2010010.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	44246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00455.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	44247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00460.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	44248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3270.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	489.3 KB 
ID:	44249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3272.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	44250  

Last edited by Chris W; 03-01-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

More Photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87 CSX Test Vehicle.JPG 
Views:	505 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	44251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MikeStoney 45.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	44252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piradjusted1.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	44253  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    A little more history about Proto2.....

I have been friends with Mike and Sue Stoney for quite some time. In 1984 Sue joined the SCCA and completed her driver’s school at the Riverside track in CA. Sue’s gifted driving skills caught Neil Hanneman’s attention while racing in Ontario, CA. Neil’s close ties with Carroll eventually put her in the driver’s seat of a Turbo Mopar and she became one of the few female drivers sponsored by Shelby, Chrysler and B.F.Goodrich. In her Very First National SCCA race at Phoenix International Raceway Sue was driving Showroom Stock and up against some really fast cars, yet she still managed to finish in second place. By the following year she was winning most every time out gaining more and more support from her sponsors. Sue started off racing the GLH Omnis and according to Mike, she was actually the Omni GLHS driver in the April ‘86 Hotrod magazine that spanked the Mustang GT350 in the Shootout. Eventually Carroll provided Sue with CSX Proto2 to test out. Sue was an aggressive driver and if you ever got a close look at the car you would see plenty of rub marks on the body. When the Shelby Dodge Racing Team days were over Carroll gave her Proto2 along with a really sweet low mileage '87 CSX (see photo in post #19). The Stoneys eventually sold Proto2 to an America West pilot in Phoenix who moved to the Great NorthWest where Joe eventually picked it up. Not sure if it was a direct sale or if it bounced around to a few other owners first. Later, TU sponsored Sue’s highly modified ’84 Road Racing Shelby Charger allowing us to use it as a test platform for many of our unique performance products (see photo in post #19). In San Antonio Sue also ran an IMSA car in a GT race and finished third (see photo in post #19). Unfortunately, Sue fell ill in 2002. Not long after that Sue lost her battle with cancer in April of 2003.

Fast forward to 2007, Joe’s friend’s wife contacted us to get Proto2 back into running condition. After dusting it off some and completing a few minor repairs it was once again road worthy. From what I remember there was a '90 VNT with a later model tranny under the hood when we received it. As you can see in the before photos it had sat for quite a while before it was delivered here and needed a bit of engine bay TLC. This was over 5 years ago and I am currently searching for some of the after pictures. I do check in with the owner every 6 months or so just to see how old Proto2 car is running and they always seem very happy.
    Nice little read there. I didn't know that about the proto cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast