Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Joytona

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Joytona

Thanks Todd. I’ve never tried that before, but it is worth a shot.

Alright, I pulled the tank today to inspect the baffle. It looks like it functions pretty well as it should. I'm wondering if I don't have a fuel pump dying. I have a spare Walbro lying around, so that will go in once a new sock and connector comes in. I didn't receive them when I got the pump.

If there is anything I should look out for in regard to the baffle in the tank, let me know. The return line is zip tied to it on the outside and goes down into what I presume is a cavity to return fuel to the baffle. Is that right? It has been forever since I've been into one of the earlier tanks which don't have a hanger that dumps the fuel right back into the bowl.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Would prob need pics to jog my memory 😆

Awesome that you’re still updating though!

Like many, l’ve been away too long and time to get back in touch again 😀

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Great to see you posting again. I too long for the forums to be the place to be. It's not that I'm clinging to early 00s nostalgia, but that it's the best place to get info.

I'll see if I can get some pics up for you.

Yeah couldn’t agree more. You can get a quick response on FB, but try to find a topic from a month ago! 😵-💫

I Know pretty much anyone looking for in depth info still browses the forums, they just don’t post.

Thinking the fad can’t last much longer, although l’ve never really got it in the first place, so who knows. Lol

Just so l’m understanding your issue, you are trying to solve the 1/4 tank slosh around (Left) corners (lMS) that lets pump suck air?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

I think that is what is happening. I need to get a better view of the return line today and perhaps some pictures. I can't tell if it's draining back into the non-sump area of the tank, or if it's going into it.

What happens when tank is full?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Yeah I'm curious as to the resolution. Here with popcorn 🍿

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    What happens when tank is full?
    I don't notice the problem, but we've put about 50 miles on this car in the last 3 to 4 years, so it's somewhat hard to say.

Hey Brian, I had a high spot in my tank where the sump sat. At 1/4 tank like clockwork taking corners or in rare cases I would get fuel starvation. If you haven't tried putting a broom stick in and popping it down (if that is the issue), maybe that will help.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion Jon. This happens with the fuel level higher than I've experienced it before. I was expecting the sump to be kicking around in some far off place in the tank. There doesn't appear to be a high spot anywhere in the tank, but I'll give it a harder look when I'm in the garage today. It has clearly been out of the car before, and I'm thinking that the return line wasn't put back in the correct spot. The pump emptying the sump and dumping the return outside of the sump is the only thing that's making sense right now. I'll pull out the float with the return and inspect that line more thoroughly too.

So from memory the earlier (86 and earlier?) fuel tanks had more of a maze around the pump that formed the baffle, but it opened up to the tank on one side. So if you cornered with 1/4ish tank of fuel one way only, the fuel would drain right out of the baffled area. (Thought it was left turn but which ever way that would be opposite of opening)

The quick and easy solution is to just drive on the top 1/2 of the tank, as this was a design flaw and every vehicle with that tank style had it. I would also mention that keeping tank on top 1/2 also insures that fuel pump remains submerged and runs Cooler.

Short of this we would upgrade to (87-89?) baffled tank which has the “tub” pressed in. Or an unbaffled tank and use the 90 and up encased fuel pump.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster

In my 85 T&C, left turns with anything under half a tank can result in starvation, depending on aggressiveness. Quarter tank or less, pretty much guaranteed.

Martin
    1985 Town and Country

Thanks guys. It is certainly left hand turns. I'll look at the tank which came in the mail to see what, if any difference there is.

I checked out the tank which came in the mail, and I did like how it returned fuel to the pump, if only because it was easier to see and access. It's just a brazed elbow which has a hose hooked to it at the back of the sump.

I elected to use the new tank because it was new and the sump system seemed like it would be adequate. I think I discovered the "real problem" when removing the sending unit from the old tank. I think there wasn't a hose clamp installed on the return hose at the sender barb and it worked itself off, or perhaps was missed during reinstallation.

Regardless, I now have a 255lbh pump with a new tank, and internal lines, along with good ABA stainless clamps. The car has ran great since, if with a high idle. No problems on turns, though I wouldn't expect it with the 3/4 tank of fuel that's in it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been taking some video as I go this summer, so I should hopefully have some content for my channel very soon if anyone is exceptionally bored.

Nice that you can check something of the list 😎👍

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

No doubt. Once I get the demons exorcised from the Shelby Lancer, I'll be thrilled. I have an oscilloscope on the way for that, which should be handy for all the cars. It will be nice to have that off of my back, and then be able to move onto other real projects.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456