Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super 60 Wire Harness Help

Hybrid booster

Super 60 Wire Harness Help

Can anyone point me to where I can find a wiring diagram for the Super 60 wire harness? I am trying to convert a GLH over and it looks like the power harness was removed (see photo).

I have also found that this is not a plug and play endeavor, most of the connectors are different. Where can I find factory sub harnesses that will help with the GLH conversion?

Last edited by RJ138; 04-07-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Re: Super 60 Wire Harness Help

Picture did not show up for me

I have a copy of the poor schematic that came with mine but don't think that might help you as it looks like it was drawn by a 6 year old with a ruler.
    Off the top of my head you need a 88 and newer front power harness as the connector that goes to the alternator wiring is a different plug
    Newer style ASD relay
    the solenoid pack on the passenger side of the car is different
    Map sensor hook up as the original one was on the LM in the car
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Unless you really want to run a SMEC, converting to 1987 LM electronics is easier and allows the same level of tuning.

Hybrid booster

Photo should work now.

I would like to run the SMEC and Super 60 harness since it looks so much cleaner, however that might be because I seem to be missing several sub-harnesses.

turbo addict

in 1986 chrysler started to move away from "vilare era" wireing connectors
    by 1988 most all had been updated to either new style connectors or weather pack connectors with the silicon sealing bands inside them

likely an 88 engine front and a starter/transmission would have the required connectors

but Idono off hand if the omni/horizon harness were updated..I was "doing daytonas" at the time

if not then the those two harness would have some extra length by the time they reach their plug in points behind the battery..
    -IF you source them from a K car or daytona or some such

you may still need the little sub harness' for the injectors and the vacuum solonids on the passenger fender if you only have the big main harness section
    both should be usable from many similar 87 88 89 ti and tii cars

your super 60 harness should be missing the o2 wiring.. but that can be added

and, if you should decide to go another way I'd be willing to take it off your hands...as might many

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    Photo should work now.

I would like to run the SMEC and Super 60 harness since it looks so much cleaner, however that might be because I seem to be missing several sub-harnesses.
    Still not showing up for me. Send me a message with your email and I'll send over the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    in 1986 chrysler started to move away from "vilare era" wireing connectors
    by 1988 most all had been updated to either new style connectors or weather pack connectors with the silicon sealing bands inside them

likely an 88 engine front and a starter/transmission would have the required connectors

but Idono off hand if the omni/horizon harness were updated..I was "doing daytonas" at the time

if not then the those two harness would have some extra length by the time they reach their plug in points behind the battery..
    -IF you source them from a K car or daytona or some such

you may still need the little sub harness' for the injectors and the vacuum solonids on the passenger fender if you only have the big main harness section
    both should be usable from many similar 87 88 89 ti and tii cars

your super 60 harness should be missing the o2 wiring.. but that can be added

and, if you should decide to go another way I'd be willing to take it off your hands...as might many

The super60 still used a 1 wire O2 sensor.
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

turbo addict

ok, ...everything I've read about it over the years claimed no o2 circut (?)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

My Super 60 harness also has a 1 wire o2 connector.

It was the Super 60 SMEC that didn't pay much attention to the o2 signal.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

thanks for the enlightenment guys !!
    sorry for the side track..

turbo addict

Super 60 ECU ignore both the O2 and knock signal. It is meant for race fuel only and it's not a street friendly ECU.

With the availability of MPtuner, you'll be much better off using 87 TII LM or 88/89 SMEC and calibrate the ECU however you want.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Super 60 ECU ignore both the O2 and knock signal. It is meant for race fuel only and it's not a street friendly ECU.

With the availability of MPtuner, you'll be much better off using 87 TII LM or 88/89 SMEC and calibrate the ECU however you want.
    Well I agree but the S-60 SMEC you had the ability to switch via toggle switch from 92 octane to 100+ octane hi boost aggressive spark. Lots of people weren't that happy with the tune when it came out. I remember the late Bill Baker called Dave Zelkowski on it at a SDAC tech session. It was classic Bill and it was priceless. I was in the room and shot beer out through my nose when Bill asked Dave why it was such a POS calibration! Dave didn't take it personally, and actually had a great explanation.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I don't have the Super60 computer, only the main engine harness. I have an 88/89 SMEC that I intend to use.

I need to source some of the sub-harnesses that I am missing or find a wiring diagram to rewire and swap out connectors.

turbo addict

http://www.minimopar.net/ecu/index.html

That should have everything you need between SMEC and LM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

The high-low boost option influenced my buying the ENTIRE Super 60 deal.

As I'm electronics dumb it seemed to be the way to go back around 1996.

I realized there would certainly be an advantage with high-low boost.

The issue was the S60 SMEC had 2 totally different tunes.

1 lazy and 1 totally on the edge.

Then I discovered manual boost control!

Then I bought a custom SMEC and assembled my manual control.

A GM heater fan switch clamped to my shifter allowed 4 levels of boost.

All with a good tune and cruise control enabled with a 120 mph capability!

I could have saved thousands of $$ if I would have learned boost first.

That said, I think the Super 60 wiring harness is a gem.

SMECS are also the best in my opinion.

Best of luck OP!!

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Well I agree but the S-60 SMEC you had the ability to switch via toggle switch from 92 octane to 100+ octane hi boost aggressive spark. Lots of people weren't that happy with the tune when it came out. I remember the late Bill Baker called Dave Zelkowski on it at a SDAC tech session. It was classic Bill and it was priceless. I was in the room and shot beer out through my nose when Bill asked Dave why it was such a POS calibration! Dave didn't take it personally, and actually had a great explanation.
    Todd

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

thinking.. I have the same issue with secondary harness' not having the correct connectors

back in the early 90's I scored an '88 turbo K car harness.. smec with old style 50 way firewall connector...complete with all the bits n pieces from a car in the wrecker's yard

I then built my second blue 86 daytona using an 88-89 lebaron engine compartment harness
    I'd forgotten I pinched the engine front and rear harness' from the K car stash and used them at that time
    so.. now , today I don't have those two harness sections to use with my K car harness

so the apposite question I and the O-P should have originally asked
    DO the 88-89 omni/horizon front and rear engine harness' also have the updated connectors found in the other 88-9 cars?

I'm presuming, now, the S60 harness is the same thing as my K car one .. just tailored to fit an omni

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

For those having connector fitment problems, some Deutsch DT series connectors will take care of that very quickly with the proper tools. It wouldn't be bad to do it in car even.

turbo addict

The s-60 harness was based on the 88 l-body harness. MP grafted in the MPFI wiring, and used the 40 pin connector on the bulkhead connector so it would plug in to any 85-87 turbo L-body. As previously mentioned, had a 1 wire o2, and the really weird part is the 1 wire detonation sensor (in 2 wire connector), was put in the wrong connector position. Was this done intentionally or was this a blunder that all s-60 harnesses had? Every one I've seen has had the connection in the incorrect position for detonation sensor to function. WTF?
    On my 88 omni, I used a s-60 complete harness underhood, changed out 02 to 4 wire. Then because my 88 had the 50 pin bulkhead connector still on the inboard side, I then removed my 88 underdash harness (pulling the dash), and used 86 GLHT underdash wiring in it's place. Everything is complete plug and play. Just need to make sure you are using correct A/C or non A/C dash wiring for your conversion. In other words don't use a AC dash wiring on a non-AC chassis.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 04-10-2021 at 10:02 PM.

turbo addict

the really weird part is the 1 wire detonation sensor (in 2 wire connector), was put in the wrong connector position. Was this done intentionally or was this a blunder that all s-60 harnesses had? Every one I've seen has had the connection in the incorrect position for detonation sensor to function. WTF?
    Todd,

It's a moot point as S60 calibration disabled knocks by raising knock thershold to max. You can open up the calibration with MPtuner and see for yourself.

TII

MP, raises the threshold higher compare to TII

S60, effectively disabled the knock control

turbo addict

Todd,

It's a moot point as S60 calibration disabled knocks by raising knock thershold to max. You can open up the calibration with MPtuner and see for yourself.
    Harry, Thanks for posting that. The reason I mentioned the detonation sensor wiring snafu is OP is NOT using s-60 SMEC, only the wiring. He merely wants to update l-body wiring to SMEC from original wiring. So if using a "normal" SMEC calibration, the detonation sensor wiring being corrected is definitely required if it is expected to be functional. I would venture to guess precious few enthusiasts are actually using a s-60 SMEC, instead just using the wiring with using either custom cals, MP TII cals, or stock TII cals.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

so the apposite question I and the O-P should have originally asked
    DO the 88-89 omni/horizon front and rear engine harness' also have the updated connectors found in the other 88-9 cars?

I'm presuming, now, the S60 harness is the same thing as my K car one .. just tailored to fit an omni
    Knowing what is compatible would be helpful. Like do these harnesses have to be from an L-Body?

The s-60 harness was based on the 88 l-body harness. MP grafted in the MPFI wiring, and used the 40 pin connector on the bulkhead connector so it would plug in to any 85-87 turbo L-body. As previously mentioned, had a 1 wire o2, and the really weird part is the 1 wire detonation sensor (in 2 wire connector), was put in the wrong connector position. Was this done intentionally or was this a blunder that all s-60 harnesses had? Every one I've seen has had the connection in the incorrect position for detonation sensor to function. WTF?
    On my 88 omni, I used a s-60 complete harness underhood, changed out 02 to 4 wire. Then because my 88 had the 50 pin bulkhead connector still on the inboard side, I then removed my 88 underdash harness (pulling the dash), and used 86 GLHT underdash wiring in it's place. Everything is complete plug and play. Just need to make sure you are using correct A/C or non A/C dash wiring for your conversion. In other words don't use a AC dash wiring on a non-AC chassis.
    Todd
    Todd, what was your reasoning for swapping the dash harnesses? I had to do the opposite, I installed a new dash harness from a Horizon since I had a non-AC harness which isn't compatible with an AC car. Only thing that was missing was the fog light connector/wires. It appears there is a connector for the fog lights just no wiring and switch.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    For those having connector fitment problems, some Deutsch DT series connectors will take care of that very quickly with the proper tools. It wouldn't be bad to do it in car even.
    I like this idea, I might go this route if I can't find the harnesses. I have another harness I don't mind hacking apart to get the end connections (HEP, oil, coolant, etc.).

http://www.minimopar.net/ecu/index.html

That should have everything you need between SMEC and LM.
    Thanks, that site is helpful.

-Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast