Thread: Regarding pressre measurements

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Regarding pressre measurements

Regarding pressure ratios -

http://www.omega.com/pptst/HHP886.html

That's a handheld dual port manometer that can show and record both IM and EM pressures as well as the delta.
    Are there better options out there? What data log system might this integrate with?
    It would be nice to see pressure ratio dynamically, at different power points.
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Only 2psi differential. ..
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I would think you would need a greater range for the purpose you specified.
    This instrument would be better served measuring a different across a filter, other similar small pressure difference.
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes, good points. I called them and got this recommendation for the application -
    http://www.omega.com/pptst/HHP4200.html#order

There is a sub-model - HHP4230 - with a 30 PSI range. and the HHP4215 with a 15 PSI range.
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Regarding pressure measurements

Looks like it would work, but I'd advise getting the 0-100PSI model, it still has resolution to one tenth of a PSI and a "Proof" pressure of 150, overall a more robust unit, so it will take more abuse.

There is optional software for the RS232 port, but I imagine Wozer or another electronic wiz could figure how to tease the data out of the unit via that cable.

The only thing that I don't like about the unit is the response time of .5sec. If that's just a delay and not sample frequency, it'll be fine. As a good friend of mine explained, an error that is consistent is manageable/compensatable.

In reality, the delay is probably more effected by the size/length of the tubing used, to that end, you'll want to have both sides of the unit use the same length tubing so they "see" things the same/in sync.

Even the price isn't too bad!

Looks like the tubing is common size and will work with push-lock connectors, both available from McMaster Car...

Mike
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Regarding pressure measurements

off topic so i'll only post once but i would think a couple $20 0-100 psi 5v transducers plugged into the mpscilink board would work well. the sampling rate would be in the 2-4 mSec range, so possibly hundreds of samples per second as an extreme.
    Last edited by sdac guy; 07-18-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Re: Regarding pressure measurements

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    off topic so i'll only post once but i would think a couple $20 0-100 psi 5v transducers plugged into the mpscilink board would work well. the sampling rate would be in the 2-4 mSec range, so possibly hundreds of samples per second as an extreme.
    Agreed in addition one can purchase one with two ports that is designed for differential measurements.

WRT, tube size and delay time for pressure. We measure like this all the time at my work, as my physics colleagues explain the pressure is transmitted as a wave that travels at the speed of sound down the tube. Here is a physics link to help explain the process.
    https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...side-of-a-tube

You can also think about a water hammer in your water pipes at home and how quickly it transmits throughout the whole house.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Re: Regarding pressre measurements

Differential, 72psi range, 5V out, 5V power
    Pressure cant reverse direction though..so P1 > P2 always
    $11.09 at single quantity, digikey
    http://cache.freescale.com/files/sen...et/MPX5500.pdf

Digikey has tens of thousands of pressure sensors, try their search engine. Maybe find one thats better. Ebay too.

Re: Regarding pressre measurements

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Differential, 72psi range, 5V out, 5V power
    Pressure cant reverse direction though..so P1 > P2 always
    $11.09 at single quantity, digikey
    http://cache.freescale.com/files/sen...et/MPX5500.pdf

Digikey has tens of thousands of pressure sensors, try their search engine. Maybe find one thats better. Ebay too.
    We use the Freescale at work and they work quite well. For over 25 years I have used these without failure.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH