Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 86 Horizon Build

Hybrid booster

Re: 86 Horizon Build

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well when you decide to move on to your next car let me know about this one. Unless you change the color combo. I love that it's got original sleepy colors on it.

So what do you have now in place of the center console you cut up?
    It was an automatic console so it wont work anyways. Plus most of the interior is missing

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    This is a fun thread to read, you've done such a great job...please keep posting as many pics a possible
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    When working with snakeskin you can use a lighter to fuse the ends and cut it slightly longer, tie it short of the connector with lacing tape and then roll the excess over and tie it again so the cut end is dressed underneath. No zip ties to snag or cut ends out to fray
    Nice, I'll have to try that. Also, on a side note. Since day 1 4th gear is really noisy(like straight cut whine noise). I have no carpet/sound deadening so I hear pretty much everything. Any thoughts?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well, you could run a really thick oil and see if it shuts up a little bit but besides that you're talking about opening up the transmission and replacing parts (probably from donors or just putting another used trans in) so if it doesnt bother you to the point of taking it apart, there's not much to suggest.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Nice work! Love the attention to detail! Any plans on taking it to the track?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Is the oil in the transmission coming out dirty ? Like nasty metallic dirty.

If the surface of the gear teeth on the input shaft and/or the speed gear has decided to start flaking/breaking down that could likely cause noise when selected since its transferring power and not just free wheeling along. I am sorry I ever sold that damn thing so many variables and unknowns when having to deal with old parts that you don't have a history on and no practical means of debugging without lots of time R&R'ing it.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Nice work! Love the attention to detail! Any plans on taking it to the track?
    Thanks! its nowhere near your car

The ultimate goal of the car is to use it for road course track days but you better believe its going to make some 1/4 mile passes...that is once i get wheels/tires/5 lug and suspension lol

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Is the oil in the transmission coming out dirty ? Like nasty metallic dirty.

If the surface of the gear teeth on the input shaft and/or the speed gear has decided to start flaking/breaking down that could likely cause noise when selected since its transferring power and not just free wheeling along. I am sorry I ever sold that damn thing so many variables and unknowns when having to deal with old parts that you don't have a history on and no practical means of debugging without lots of time R&R'ing it.
    Ill dump some out and take a look sometime or when i take the transmission out to put the quaife in ill nose around.

Here is the the finished view

Hybrid booster

I'm digging the gauge cluster. Got any other pics to give me a better idea of how you did it?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    I'm digging the gauge cluster. Got any other pics to give me a better idea of how you did it?
    Page 4 are pretty much all the pics I have. My buddy and I took some rough measurements and used a water jet to cut out the metal bezel. The rest was just hacking up the stock pieces to make it all fit.

Hybrid booster

I made up a cardboard template of the panel and I'm just a bit concerned that the gauges are going to face downward from the drivers position.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    I made up a cardboard template of the panel and I'm just a bit concerned that the gauges are going to face downward from the drivers position.
    Yes, mine is not really ideal in that aspect either.

Hybrid booster

Couple of Photos I took at my storage unit.

Beginning of the next phase...Updates to follow!

Hybrid booster

In the process of converting to 5 lug/'big' brakes and rear discs. Ran into a bit of a knuckle dilemma.

Thread can be found here if interested.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ion&highlight=

quick coat of Por15 and new bushings/ball joints (although the ball joints will have to come back out, see above thread if interested)

Trans is out to install a fun little toy i bought a year or so ago.

Also discovered this....a decent amount of oil in the intercooler. Catch can was dry and pre turbo piping was dry as well. Although a while back the catch can did fill up with oil and suck back into the engine. Kinda hoping this is left over from that as i did not clean post turbo piping....or is it a turbo seal? car does not smoke btw. Just another thing to add to the ever growing list.

Hybrid booster

Time to install the previously mentioned toy

Old Vs new

The interference between the new differential and the case

Ground off part of the magnet holder

yum

Trimmed this much off the passenger side axle. My eyeball and research tells me it should be sufficient. Will report back if its not!

I will post knuckle update to the other thread...

Hybrid booster

Time for a small update.

DEI titanium wrap on the DP

Stainless steel brake lines for the rear disc conversion

Brake proportioning valve

rear of the car on some home made alignment stands me and my buddy made.

GM coolant temp sensor to replace my Chrysler one. Megasquirt has default settings for Chrysler temp sensors but megasquirt always read off at higher temperatures than my VDO gauge and sensor...maybe this will help correct the problem since this is the sensor they sell with their kits.

And because i was bored one night i polished the tip of my exhaust

Hybrid booster

few updates...

91+ knuckle setup is not quite finished (MAX negative camber is still roughly 1.0 degree POSITIVE). Further modification is required.

10" vs 11" 60mm brake discovery. Rock Auto P/N 18-B4362/3 calipers came with 10" brackets that will not clear 11" rotors.

Here is a side by side of the differences between 60mm 10" and 60mm 11" caliper brackets.

10" rotor caliper bracket

11" rotor caliper bracket

I got the correct brackets from a 94 minivan with 15" wheels...what a beauty

Found a Horizon in the yard as well (very rare to actually find one out here!)

And lastly a side by side comparison of 86 factory vs the 91+ setup.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

That sucker should really stop now!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Great build! Keep the updates coming.

Hybrid booster

So, I was not really fond of the way the coils became loose on full suspension drop so I ordered helper springs for the front and rear . Between the springs and the pieces that go in between it ended up costing a bit more than i would like to admit.

Wheels have been purchased and test fitted.

Tires are mounted

225/45/16 Dunlop Direzza ZII Star specs.

I will post pics of the final tire/wheel combo once spacers and alignment are set.

Oh the suspense!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Sorry if I missed it, but what wheels are those?

Hybrid booster

Alignment is not set nor the spacers but this is basically the set up. (pictured is nearly 3 degrees of negative camber and ~ 5 mm worth of washers as spacers. Camber will be around 1.5 degrees once I align it). I just had to take some pictures after I pushed it out of the garage!

Wheels are 16x8 Fifteen52 formula TR's. ET30.

Also, I bought a used aluminum radiator got it all mocked up and mounted only to find out it leaks more to come on that later .

What is the backspacing on those or do they only come in one size? Great progress with the build BTW

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast