Thread: Custom intake manifold

turbo addict

Custom intake manifold

I am awaiting the return of my LWP head and in the mean time, I started messing around with making a custom intake to take advantage of the increased air flow. I cut the upper part of the plenum off and I am attaching a fire extinguisher body to the top in its place. I plan on porting the runners.....and with the top off, I can port along the whole length of each runner. I havent cut the small end of the extinguisher off yet, but I will obviously need to in order to get it to mate up to the TB flange. Take a look at the pics. Anyone ever done this before? What are some potential hang ups? Also, I took it over to the local welder just to get an estimate (I only have a MIG) and he wanted around 200 bucks to weld it all up. Seemed like a lot to me, but maybe not. Any suggestions?

P.S. What do you guys think about hood clearance? It looks about 3.5 inches taller than the original manifold. I dont have the motor in the car.......anyone with a CSX or Shadow know how much room there is between the hood and top of the stock manifold?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1545.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	2678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1546.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	2679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1547.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	2680  

Hybrid booster

Re: Custom intake manifold

Might smack right into your firewall there, if you're interested in a custom manifold for less than the cost of that welding PM me and maybe we can work something out

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Might smack right into your firewall there, if you're interested in a custom manifold for less than the cost of that welding PM me and maybe we can work something out

It doesnt really extend much further back than stock.....its really just significantly taller. Ill PM you and you can tell me what youve got.

turbo addict

That looks like a good idea too.

I'd suggest an elbow from a 3.3l plenum, because I can't make out what you're using.
    I'd also suggest keeping clearance in mind in regards to mounting the fuel rail in the factory intake bosses, as well as fuel rail to throttle linkage clearance.

I measured for my intake manifold before building it. I used a driver's side rear corner of the head ( where it meets the valve cover) as a reference point. I had 9 inches back to the firewall and 6 inches up to the hood IIRC.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    I am awaiting the return of my LWP head and in the mean time, I started messing around with making a custom intake to take advantage of the increased air flow. I cut the upper part of the plenum off and I am attaching a fire extinguisher body to the top in its place. I plan on porting the runners.....and with the top off, I can port along the whole length of each runner. I havent cut the small end of the extinguisher off yet, but I will obviously need to in order to get it to mate up to the TB flange. Take a look at the pics. Anyone ever done this before? What are some potential hang ups? Also, I took it over to the local welder just to get an estimate (I only have a MIG) and he wanted around 200 bucks to weld it all up. Seemed like a lot to me, but maybe not. Any suggestions?

P.S. What do you guys think about hood clearance? It looks about 3.5 inches taller than the original manifold. I dont have the motor in the car.......anyone with a CSX or Shadow know how much room there is between the hood and top of the stock manifold?
    You should have enough room, it depends on the flange you will use to mount the throttlebody to. It's an old pic, but I had enough clearance for the hood with my setup...

Yours looks good!

------------
    Mike

90 Shadow VNT
    90 Shadow 2.5 T-I

http://fwdperformancestinks.blogspot.com/
    Edit/Delete Message

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    That looks like a good idea too.

I'd suggest an elbow from a 3.3l plenum, because I can't make out what you're using.
    I'd also suggest keeping clearance in mind in regards to mounting the fuel rail in the factory intake bosses, as well as fuel rail to throttle linkage clearance.

I measured for my intake manifold before building it. I used a driver's side rear corner of the head ( where it meets the valve cover) as a reference point. I had 9 inches back to the firewall and 6 inches up to the hood IIRC.
    Yea, ive thought about the 3.3 plenum.....and your measuring advice sounds good, but the motor is out of the car. I removed it before I had plans of making this intake.

turbo addict

How did that intake work out for you? Were you running a ported head? Seat of the pants experience? Dyno pulls? What size pipe is that and what kind of car is that in?

Quote Originally Posted by 90Dodgevnt View Post
    You should have enough room, it depends on the flange you will use to mount the throttlebody to. It's an old pic, but I had enough clearance for the hood with my setup...

Yours looks good!

------------
    Mike

90 Shadow VNT
    90 Shadow 2.5 T-I

http://fwdperformancestinks.blogspot.com/
    Edit/Delete Message

turbo addict

that is awesome!!!! spank some --- then pop the hood and see that!!!! sweet!!!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How did that intake work out for you? Were you running a ported head? Seat of the pants experience? Dyno pulls? What size pipe is that and what kind of car is that in?
    That is in a van, and there is not anywhere near as much room between the intake and hood in a P body as there is a van.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That is in a van, and there is not anywhere near as much room between the intake and hood in a P body as there is a van.
    True but you have the cowell overhanging in the van and theres about the same or a tad less room at the firewall to intake but drop down a few inches and then theres tons of room as the firewall disapears.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

No pulls or anything of the sort yet. Car is together but not 100% done, as the weather took a crap in TX this past week, so we'll see what happens this next few weeks. Even then, I've been busy with another project in the meantime http://fwdperformancestinks.blogspot.com

The guy I purchased the header about a year ago. Prev owner/builder used to run a Super 70 with a ported manifold and nitrous. He said it kept leaning out on #4, so he built the above manifold shortly after. He said once it was all back together and running, the lean problem was gone...

Currently running a FM Stage II head, and a 52mm TB. I'll measure it tonite when I get back home...

Mike

90 Shadow VNT
    90 Shadow T-I

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 90Dodgevnt View Post
    No pulls or anything of the sort yet. Car is together but not 100% done, as the weather took a crap in TX this past week, so we'll see what happens this next few weeks. Even then, I've been busy with another project in the meantime http://fwdperformancestinks.blogspot.com

The guy I purchased the header about a year ago. Prev owner/builder used to run a Super 70 with a ported manifold and nitrous. He said it kept leaning out on #4, so he built the above manifold shortly after. He said once it was all back together and running, the lean problem was gone...

Currently running a FM Stage II head, and a 52mm TB. I'll measure it tonite when I get back home...

Mike

90 Shadow VNT
    90 Shadow T-I
    Thanks.

Hybrid booster

So, how did that intake work for you?

turbo addict

I found out the local welder wanted 250 to weld it up. So, I bought one already done for 250. I would still like to finish this one, but it will be down the road.