Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kills torque converters?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

What kills torque converters?

What really kills torque converters? Is it from a standing on the converter from a dig, or does power from a roll tear them up as well??

While we're at it, what's an okay TC for a piggy van? I plan to be somewhere just under 300 hp, by this spring.

Thank yeh much,
    -Bryan

turbo addict

Re: What kills torque converters?

Usually the internal fins let go and it sends crap through the trans. I had a Monte SS with a 350, hopped up 200-r4, and it happened. Of course, they can also "balloon up" at high RPM's too, especially stockers. Typically, heat is the worst enemy and couple that with insufficient pressure and things go south real quick. Usually, it's not the TC that dies from a "stoplight stand," but usually the input shaft, gears, etc. A lot of the situations where they die in our TD's are when they are run outside of their specified ranges with high hp/tq levels or the internals just "fail". Typically, from what I've read, heard, and seen, the internals of these TC are very shoddily made to say the least. RPM's can play havoc on them too. They were designed for high rpm use nor "jackrabbit" starts. Someone may have more input too...

By the way, it depends on your goals and budget. Is it a street strip terror , weekend warrior, strip only...? TCI makes some good TC's and trans's but I'd have to verify if they have an application for TD's. The "streetfighter series" was a good budget line I had quite a bit of success with.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Heat, pressure, stress etc. Also, most stock TC's use a copper/babbit type thrust washers-these are fine for stockers but add power and they simply disentegrate hence you see "torrington bearings" as an upgrade. Hughs make good ones. Contact Chris W, I might be getting one from him next year if TCS doesn't give me a deal on fixing mine as it let go.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

How can you upgrade the torque converter? I thought if you pull it apart you can't pull it back together as it's a sealed unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    How can you upgrade the torque converter? I thought if you pull it apart you can't pull it back together as it's a sealed unit.
    The converter shops cut them apart, do there magic then weld them back up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

The cheaper ones just put in a deflector plate to raise the stall. Very, very inefficient. But cheap

turbo addict

^^ +1 If you are looking for a company that is reputable make sure that you are looking for the key words: brazed fins, anti-ballooning case, etc. By the way, there are a few companies on the "high end" of the TC market that are reputable and have the ability to rework the internals to change the stall range... I shot Simon a link about them, but I'm not sure if they have any for our applications...

Garrett booster

You can contact Forward Motion for a torque converter that will live. That you can rely on.
    'Most of the real torque converter companies wont even talk to you. Easier to build v8 converters.
    Like I said. Top of the line company, could not belive the damage to the converter
    I've been drag racing for over 30 years, did it for a living for 5 years(was nhra world champion). So I know a little about what I'm talking

dave, you could easily take apart your converter and modify it. give it a try, if no-one actually tries to do stuff, nothing ever happens.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rt1092 View Post
    You can contact Forward Motion for a torque converter that will live.
    you can also get the same converter from Pats for 1/2 price.

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    dave, you could easily take apart your converter and modify it. give it a try, if no-one actually tries to do stuff, nothing ever happens.

Yeah, I can see that, as the cuts it apart then welds it back together so it wobbles and waves at you,

Hybrid booster

So I Geuss Scotty Richardson Is Racing A Turbo Car Now! 5 Time Champ Cool,

No, Simon. You're a pain. He means take it to a tranny shop and having them do it. I take it nobody has tried upgrading to the torrington bearing?

No, Simon. You're a pain. He means take it to a tranny shop and having them do it. I take it nobody has tried upgrading to the torrington bearing?

Yeah, I am a pain. Tranny shops don't rebuild TC's, it need special equipment thats why there expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Heat, pressure, stress etc. Also, most stock TC's use a copper/babbit type thrust washers-these are fine for stockers but add power and they simply disentegrate hence you see "torrington bearings" as an upgrade. Hughs make good ones. Contact Chris W, I might be getting one from him next year if TCS doesn't give me a deal on fixing mine as it let go.
    Simon, I looked on Chris's site but I don't see anything for a torrington bearing. Rob and I are rebuilding the 413 for the van, and I'm hoping we can get a torrington bearing to hopefully last for race season. Do you think a stock tc with that bearing will hold a 3,400 lb van to the low 13's?

Simon, I looked on Chris's site but I don't see anything for a torrington bearing. Rob and I are rebuilding the 413 for the van, and I'm hoping we can get a torrington bearing to hopefully last for race season. Do you think a stock tc with that bearing will hold a 3,400 lb van to the low 13's?
    Thats because you can't buy it, he sells the whole converter. I honestly don't think a stock one will last if your going for low 13's, thats alot of power.

Simon, I sent out the original torque converter from my Spirit to Pat's Performance Converters in PA. They said $125 + shipping they'll install the torrington bearing for me and rebuild it (as they need to whenever they crack it open anyways). It will only take them a day he said.

Rob said he used one in his Charger when he was running 11's on the 8V. That's of course a lighter car but all he did was race. We're also using one in my dad's '89 Caravan that ran a 13.9.

I guess we'll see...

The tranny's out now and Rob's rebuilding it. It's getting very beefed up. 5 clutch pack, 5 pinion planetary ring, new T/C, and a RMVB. Any idea how much line pressure I should run?? How do I adjust it and monitor how much psi it's at?

turbo addict

If youre looking for a NICE convertor at a NICE price, shoot me a PM. My father is in the performance tranny business. He builds mostly V8 applications, but hes done some 413's for the guys on TD.com. But, his convertor manufacturer is OUTSTANDING. Their business is relatively young, so prices are still very reasonable. Quality has been incredible. My dad has been dealing with them for 4-5 yrs and has NEVER had an issue with a defect leading to failure. Which is really something. I can get you anything you want as far as heavy duty internals or increased stall (within reason). Prices range from 100 bucks for a stock TC to $400 for a serious hi-po unit.......and in between for a street car app.

Simon, I sent out the original torque converter from my Spirit to Pat's Performance Converters in PA. They said $125 + shipping they'll install the torrington bearing for me and rebuild it (as they need to whenever they crack it open anyways). It will only take them a day he said.

Rob said he used one in his Charger when he was running 11's on the 8V. That's of course a lighter car but all he did was race. We're also using one in my dad's '89 Caravan that ran a 13.9.

I guess we'll see...

The tranny's out now and Rob's rebuilding it. It's getting very beefed up. 5 clutch pack, 5 pinion planetary ring, new T/C, and a RMVB. Any idea how much line pressure I should run?? How do I adjust it and monitor how much psi it's at?
    Thats not bad but I believe theres more to it than just the bearings. The stator fins need welding etc.
    Yep, heavy van really beats them up.

I would just crank the line pressure as high as you can, that should be more than enough. You can put a guage on the governor port or another port, have the right one at work or in one of my tranny threads somewhere.

So I can run as much line pressure as I want and not hurt anything? Except for my neck of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast