Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 24v duster - input? :D

Hybrid booster

Re: 24v duster - input? :D

well, the rear wheel bearings are NOT the problem. snugged them up but it didn't change the worsening on/off throttle issue. i believe my poly-filled right motor mount is giving up the ghost and moving on me creating the changing steering geometry.

I tried to find one at the J-yard today but they were all dead or melted from the torch used to pull the motors. i really don't want to buy a new one as they are $180 cause of the cast aluminum casing etc. i DID score

1) a hump 3.0 hood in great shape (although riceboy painted silver with a rattle can but it will work for now til Lucy gets a makeover this summer)
    2) stock P-body foglight mounts and lights (although the lights got painted over by said riceboy)
    3) a nice 93 A543 transmission with front mount bracket,
    4) starter (nippondeso style, smaller than my bosch)
    5) drivers side A-arm to replace my current one with a sloppy ball joint hole,
    6) left front headlight with INTACT adjuster frame (mine is messed up and the light points up ant a 30* angle )
    7) passenger side view mirror

all for $130 (i was going to grab the ground effects off the car, but it woulda been a PITA to pull all the pop rivets and i wasn't sure of the look so...(they are on a silver/black sundance at Moyers junkyard in crestline OH if anyone wants them lol)

Hybrid booster

well, figured out that the right motor mount is dead. got a prothane insert on the way (24v mount, not a TD one). going to see if that cures my issues next weekend.

swapped my right headlight housing for a better J-yard one and got it adjusted so i can actiually SEE at night lol

woulda replaced my cracked and wobbling right mirror except i forgot to take it out of my g/f's friend's truck lol, that'll be next weekend too. I may go look at the other headlight housing at the J-yard and see about nabbing a headboard to do a headliner fix on "Lucy"

hopefully going to have the idle valve installed soon as well to help with cold start/warmup

not much else going on at the moment doe to lack of funds

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice finds :P

I use Moyer's whenever i need wierd parts..they always seem to give pretty good deals.

Gonna have to meet you sometime since you are now a hour away from me.

Gonna give the MS another shot coming up this weekend or so if its warm.

Good luck on getting your S/C project going.

Hybrid booster

thanks, im usually up in Lexington on the weekend visiting my g/f otherwise im down in Columbus for work

shoot me a PM or something if your in the area

Hybrid booster

just got my cam gears in they are nice and light and the machining is pretty good. can't wait to couple these with a set of regrinds in my 24v motor... Also got my new EDIS module so i can see if that cures the phantom cutout

Hybrid booster

well, spent some quality time with lucy this weekend...

pulled the old mount out and put the the new prothane inserts in. however, this necessitated putting Lucy under the knife as the original Deyeme mount had the bolt hole off center and the prothane (and stock) mounts have the bolt hole centerd. since the holes in the mounts were not far enough apart from the new one i would have had to drill, i had to weld the old holes up, grind them flat and re-drill for a new mount hole.

this cures SOME of the the on/off throttle steering issue. it is noticibly reduced but not gone. holding the steering wheel still and constant throttle Lucy will still skitter left and right within the lane. im suspecting a bad tie rod at this point as there isn't much left in the front suspension that HASN'T been fixed (well, they WERE replaced 3 years ago by the school shop, but im inclined NOT to trust their work these days...)

Also got a short vid of the bearing noises my transmission is making. they only go away when i depress the clutch (and it isn't ALWAYS nosy like that, sometimes more sometimes not at all...)

Hybrid booster

Well, 2.5 days later, "Lucy" has the rebuilt transmission w/ LSD, new clutch, aluminum flywheel and my summer tires. a HUGE thank you is in order for Nathan (aka nmw2006 on TM) for helping out saturday and sunday. the trans swap and everything would not have gone as fast or as smoothly as it did. Nathan was also the one that discovered the issue with the PP bolts

Heres my old slipping 4-puck. the PP side was greased up and the total disc thickness measured .300", the new 6-puck was .345" the stock flywheel and pp did show some signs of wear, but nothing drastic. I also had to switch back to the shorter clutch cable for the 92 transmission to work.

In addition, i got the pre-load set on the differential to .005 (spec is .001 - .01) and the LSD doesn't rattle and has some pre-load in it. All the bolts got the appropriate loctite on reassembly as well.

i did find another issue with ARP hardware and the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. the pressure plate bolts BOTTOMED OUT! The flywheel bolts actually cleared the TU 6-puck clutch with NO interference, but i had to grind about 1/4ish off the PP bolts to get them to clamp the PP correctly.

Prior to shortening the bolts:

After shortening the bolts:

I have a few misc issues i need to sort out as well. on the way home, Lucy acted up when i stopped to get a new Intake Air Temperature sensor (which is causing the MS to randomly add or take fuel away based on the erratic -40 to 180+ temperature fluctuations) she seemed like she had dropped a few cylinders, so $70ish and 4 hours later, (compression tester, sensor, pliers, O2 safe silicon and 4 spark plugs later) it turned out to be a loose 12v supply to one of the injector banks.

I now have the new relay board and waterproof case, so stay tuned for the next update: MS rewire!

the real killer will be waiting the 500+ mile break-in period of the new clutch before beating on it and taking "Lucy" to the track.

I do have to say the TU 6-puck and purple PP are REALLY NICE! pedal effort is less than the HD PP i had with the 4-puck and the 6-puck is VERY drivable, it has less chatter and is more like an OEM feel than the 4-puck i had. I just have to get used to the faster rev-ability of the aluminum flywheel on starting and shifting.

Also, the new transmission shifts very well, its very tight. first and second are a lot less picky than before and 3,4 and 5 slide in quite easily even on hard acceleration. it was definitely worth the wait. Just have to get used to the LSD and all the new driving quirks

Hybrid booster

ok, i know this is like zombie thread resurection but

got a little more done today. finished up working on the K-frame, A arms and sway bar. 1 coat POR-15 and 2 coats Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Unfortunately, probably wont get much more done on the chassis until springtime. Hoping to get more work on the motor done though: cams, valve springs, new valves and valve stem seals in by spare heads to swap onto my motor. Also want to check on the clutch and make sure all's ok there. possibly get the S/C mount and such fabbed up as well.
    POR-15, ready for chassis black

first coat satin black

2nd coat semi-dry

Hybrid booster

got the k-frame and front suspension assembled enough to roll her outside for the winter...

turbo addict

How do you plan on storeing it for the winter? Any special tricks?

Hybrid booster

no special tricks...just gonna bear the weather and see. She's getting re-painted in the spring anyways. going to spend the time trying to work on the motor and getting other components ready for assembly when the weather breaks (i.e. SS exhaust, motor's top end, Supercharger mount and belt routing, dash layout and EMS/Engine/Gauges wiring diagram)

turbo addict

wooo cant wait to see it superchaged

turbo addict

Vigo was saying to put tarp underneath and then something in the middle of the tarp to prevent puddling. Apparently that is all to prevent humidity from building up under the car. I need to do this to my Starlet which is sitting on grass.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

yeah i heard the same thing. either let the snow pile up or seal the car correct with a tarp to prevent humidity. dont just put a tarp over it.

Hybrid booster

yeah, no tarp over or under, just gonna get the weather. Car's going to be stripped and painted in the spring anyways. Plus POR-15 and undercoating as well. A couple months more sitting in the grass won't kill it

turbo addict

Putting a tarp over my Duster with its missing rear hatch window was probably the worst thing I have ever done to the car. EVERYTHING corroded or molded.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow24 View Post
    yeah, no tarp over or under, just gonna get the weather. Car's going to be stripped and painted in the spring anyways. Plus POR-15 and undercoating as well. A couple months more sitting in the grass won't kill it
    Definitely not. Providing any grass doesn't grow up into it, and nothing takes up home inside, you should be good. That POR-15 is fantastic stuff, that's for sure.

Hybrid booster

Well, re-read the supercharged book.. I think i'll stay with stock cams for the time being. supposedly stock type cams work fairly well for a blower setup. I figure I'll see what happens and go from there.

I did get another shiny bit for the car yesterday though... adapter for the BOV/Recirc valve.

turbo addict

which valve are you going to run?

Hybrid booster

I'm getting an RFL type, but going to recirc to before the blower to reduce pumping losses at cruise...i THINK it'll work and for $50, its a heck of a lot cheaper than a supercharger specific recirc valve from Magnuson or the like

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast