Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 24v duster - input? :D

Hybrid booster

24v duster - input? :D

i finally registered over here and thought id put my swap thread over here too. hopefully going to add a M90 supercharger to the mix soon.
    thread is over on the TD site here
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...ed%21+3.0+swap

comments welcome

Re: 24v duster - input? :D

Why not use the Mitsu 3.5. If it fits in the Stratus, it would have fit in the Shadow.

Look forward to a run-in with your car at "the pike".

later
    Last edited by inmyshadow; 12-15-2006 at 08:33 AM.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Very sweet dude. Scary wiring job, but still cool project.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

i woulda used the 3.5 if i had found out about it earlier. i had already put the 3.0 in whet the guys over at club3G started doing the 3.5 swap *shrugs* motor mounts are the same so it would be a dropin replacement to the 3.0 later

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yeah, thats a sweet setup, that should be a blast when you supercharge it. Have you got any times yet?

When you say 3.5L, are you meaning the Intrepid DOHC engine?

And that will drop right in where a Mistu 3.0L went? If so, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

its possible the intepid has a mitsu 3.5L, i KNOW that the 90o diamantes nd later monteros had the 35l. basic diferences are a lil wider heads and a slightly taller block IIRC. the 3.5 should be easily found and not that expensive. mind though that both the 3.5 and the 24v 3.0 use a different passenger sde mount, other than that, the trannies bolt right up (1543 too) and so do the torque strut and front mount

Hybrid booster

thread updated with some newer pics. just got my "new" flywheel.....all 20+lbs of it lol

Hybrid booster

cars headed to the schools shop for the flywheel swap (i am NOT gonna do that in the parking lot lol) and to get the ball joints, tie rod ends, A-arm and sway bar bushings done. It will also be getting some body work and im thinking of going metallic silver paint job (grey interior)

any input on pain color? something nice but not a cop magnet ya know

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

grey or silver would be nice.

also, the intrepid motor is a sohc, 24-valve motor. the 3.0 and 3.5 of the style shadow24 is using are also sohc 24 valve, not mechanically related. (Or are they? mitsu/chrysler in bed together, intrepid 3.5 shows up 1993, then in late 1994 mitsu slaps some VERY similar heads on its own 6g72? which is also sold in many dodges? me thinks one thing did lead to another.)

as far as i know noone has swapped the intrepid motor into anything else, which is supremely odd. one hangup though is that there's no good structure on the front of the engine to bolt a motor mount to for a transverse engine car. but now the 3.5 is in transverse pacifica, sebring, avenger, so we will see.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

3.5L 6g74 mitsu with 24v sohc heads (also available dohc) is not related in any way to the 3.5L chrysler motor.

Hybrid booster

+1, same disagreement went down over at club3g.com, the mitsu 3.5 and the chrysler 3.5 are fundamentally different. bore and stroke are different and the ghrysler 3.5 is based off the 3.3/3.8/2.7 in-house design.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

im speaking only of the head design, not anything else on the motor. the heads dont have to be an EXACT copy to have been 'inspired' by some 'shared' engineering data.

also, iirc, the 1st gen chrysler 3.5 sohc has a rocker for each valve, ie 2 intake and 2 exhaust rockers per cylinder. mitsu heads have one rocker to push both exhaust valves. then when chrysler redesigned 3.5 heads a little later, they also adopted that. theres a timeline here..

Hybrid booster

well, i havent been over here much, but heres my U.date thread over at TD.com. hope you all enjoy. ill see about putting updates here too.
    P-body 24v updates

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    im speaking only of the head design, not anything else on the motor. the heads dont have to be an EXACT copy to have been 'inspired' by some 'shared' engineering data.

also, iirc, the 1st gen chrysler 3.5 sohc has a rocker for each valve, ie 2 intake and 2 exhaust rockers per cylinder. mitsu heads have one rocker to push both exhaust valves. then when chrysler redesigned 3.5 heads a little later, they also adopted that. theres a timeline here..
    Regarding this.

The 24v sohc uses modified 12valve valvetrain. Its not "shared" data. its not like 24v sohc motors are anything new.

Hybrid booster

i got to look at the Chrysler SOHC 3.5 and its not even CLOSE in design to the mitsu 2.5/3.0/3.5. everything is different somehow. dual TB intake, individual rockers, the cam is buried in the head more than the 24v, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

forgot i had this thread lol. its been a while, but heres a link to my updates thread. Ill start double posting here too.

24v Updates thread

Latest update:

got a bit done yesterday, pulled the motor off the engine stand, installed the blockoff for the distributor, put the new flywheel on and put my clutch together. also got the trans bolted to the motor and did some more spray painting of the engine bay. should have that done soon and be able to get the motor installed.

Blockoff - had to slot one side a bit more to get adequate sealage

Brand new flywheel (yay for "made in china for perfection clutches")

Painted grill and partial engine bay (i did more but my camera batteries died )

Putting engine and trans together

While you got the whole thing apart again.

What about using this?

http://www.cheetahonline.com/products/g5023.html

I installed a hondata gasket similar to this on my neon. Worked out quite well.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

Ill think about it. i have some other things id like to do first (rear suspension, rust fix and paint). i may try that at a later date when i have some $$$ ot spare, ive also pulled the intake so many times, its a 5 minute job to pull it and put it back on

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    While you got the whole thing apart again.

What about using this?

http://www.cheetahonline.com/products/g5023.html

I installed a hondata gasket similar to this on my neon. Worked out quite well.
    He has been screwing a lot of people lately with messed up shifter bushings, poorly cut spacers (that dont line up properly) so its just more of the same from him the last 6+ years. According to his website he seems to set up booths at local shows. Its a good thing I didnt know so I could have informed some dissatisfied customers.

There is probably a 3g vendor who can hook up 24vshadow and if there isnt then it means rolling the cheaterh dice.

Hybrid booster

well, got a lot done today, didn't get it all together but im getting REALLY close went to the J-yard this morning and got the connector i needed to wire up the eclipse alternator and scored a 2.5l lower intake manifold with injectors and injector wiring clips for $31.80. the 2.5 ran the same style injectors as the 360cc VR4 injectors i bought. the 3.0 injector bosses are taller to fit the smaller injectors, but the 2.5 LIM bolts right in yay for accumulating parts for the S/C plan

as for the car, got the front motor mount in, front header, oil filter relocation adapter and oil filter, mounted the PS pump and belt, and the CORRECT alternator and belt for the motor (although im still working on deciphering which wires i need to get it to work correctly, i think i got it but...see pic below) got both axles in, fixed a broken grease fitting on my rivers side ball joint (whats the interval for greasing those and the tierods anyways?) put a circlip (e-clip) on the side shifter cable to keep it from popping off, the top one stays on fine so no need to worry there. i think thats about it for today...

i dont have much left to put back together part-wise, and then all thats left is re-doing the wiring and adding fluids (amsoil full synth 5w30 in the motor and regular castrol 5w30 in the trans, and 50/50 coolant) and i should be able to fire her up

Heres a pic of the two injector bosses, 2.5 on top, 3.0 below

Alternator wiring - i think all i need are straight 12v, and switched 12v to the regulator and the output wire. i believe the 2 wires going to the ECU are for the OBD-II monitoring/volt gauge on the eclipse but im not sure....

and the new alternator installed, with more clearance to the radiator!

injectors, VR4 360cc on right, avenger 190cc on left. Look similar maybe?

360s installed on the 2.5 mani

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast