Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New tire position question?

turbo addict

Re: New tire position question?

Even as the thread stated a question about 4x4's.... I'd still prefer the best tires on the front.

If I can't find the new tire placement recomendations in FSM's or my girlfriend's neon's owners manual. Where is one to find this information?

I've sent an e-mail to michelin regarding this question and I'm waiting for a response.

turbo addict

I need traction so I put them in the front(this is for snow driving and yes the back end kicks out, but your already sliding all over any way, plus it makes it easier to point and shoot)

turbo addict

Well, I have a responce from Michelin.

Thank you for your interest in Michelin tires and for sending us your email.
    We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Michelin's position (as well as the tire industry as a whole) is that when
    replacing only two tires, the new tires should be placed on the rear.

The new tires with deeper tread will provide better grip and evacuate water
    more effectively. This is extremely important as a driver approaches
    hydroplaning situations in wet weather. Placing the tires with the greater
    traction capability on the rear of the vehicle is more apt to prevent an
    oversteer condition and a loss of vehicle stability when driving on wet
    surfaces. A basic definition of oversteer is a driving condition in which
    the rear tires of a vehicle have less grip on the driving surface than the
    front tires.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
    me at 1-888-871-4444 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time
    Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
    Bobby
    Michelin North America
    Consumer Relations

I'm a little surprised. But stand corrected. I've still not seen anything from the vehicle manufacturer, but I suppose this trumps their recommendations.

Even still, I'm going to continue to put the best tires on the front.

turbo addict

Reiterates my point that cars are built to understeer because of how people react. Straight out of the FSM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Hmmmmmm, interesting. A little suprised they would say that about RWD too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hmmmmmm, interesting. A little suprised they would say that about RWD too.
    Nope. It is pretty much summed up in post #4.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Nope. It is pretty much summed up in post #4.

Well its not a 50/50 split so worn tires won't make any difference now if your running different ratio tires, then hell yeah,
    If the rpm between the front and rear was that bad, the ABS light would come on, which it hasn't.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

I can see both sides of the fence here. I think it really depends on the drivers experience. If technicality is what you want, then it probably should go on the front if you are thinking for 90% of the unskilled drivers on the road. Putting the better tire on the front lowers the likelihood of a blowout. If one of the front tires has a blowout, most unskilled drivers immediately hard brake and sometimes turn the wheel at the same time. Obviously, this leads to instant loss of control. I remember in my younger days of constant bald tires on my RWD G bodied GM's(Monte's, Cutlasses, etc), bald went on back dso you don't lose it @ 80 mph. I think that a fishtail effect is easier to recover from than the classic oversteer/understeer "walking" frontend. Now, if your significant other was in the car which would you choose. That is the response that I would use for 90% of America. They are not "seasoned" with a "above average, peppy" car... just my .02..

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

A real reputable tire retailer would recommend that you rotate your tires regularly so that the tread front and rear stay even and you don't find yourself in the situation of having 2 bald tires and 2 tires with 3/4 tread.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    A real reputable tire retailer would recommend that you rotate your tires regularly so that the tread front and rear stay even and you don't find yourself in the situation of having 2 bald tires and 2 tires with 3/4 tread.
    in seven years, I can probably count on one hand the number of people I had that regularly rotated and balanced their tires.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    in seven years, I can probably count on one hand the number of people I had that regularly rotated and balanced their tires.
    And thats why so many people end up with 2 bald tires. The place where I used to work, many many many customers came back for their free lifetime balancing and rotation.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

And thats why so many people end up with 2 bald tires. The place where I used to work, many many many customers came back for their free lifetime balancing and rotation.
    Hmmm. that is interesting. Perhaps a geographical or cultural difference in car maintenence. We had people coming in all the time for it, but there were a very select few who did it on a set schedule and stuck to it for the life of the tires.

I always rotate my customers tires but not everyone wants to. You can advise but if they don't want to do it, not much you can do.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I always rotate my customers tires but not everyone wants to. You can advise but if they don't want to do it, not much you can do.
    Really? How much smoke do you get????? (We used to joke about *rotating* tires and getting lots of smoke) I think if you know how to drive, then put the new ones on the front, if you are afaraid of sliding the rear, or don't know how to drive, then put the new ones on the rear....... I have new tires on one car and they are junk.... It slides easily while cornering at *moderate* speeds.......

one concern I would have is it the truck is full time 4x4, having any mis matched tires is a bad idea. just recently, I had to fix a transfer case due to a customer that had 2 different brand tires but the same size. when I physically measured circumference, there was 1½" difference which caused the transfer case to fail. it's like having 2 different size tires on a RWD car, the differential takes a pounding because the spider gears are constantly turning due the circumference difference.

¿ Turbo Mopar Contributor oldgregg's Avatar

Actually, the only reason they recommend rotating so you have to buy 4 tires at once vs 2 tires one year & 2 the next, & possibly buying the next 2 elsewhere, not at the shop your buying form at the moment.

Rotating all 5 (when the spare used to be full sized), now 4, is a sales gimmick that made its way into owners manuals.

Interesting thread. I have never heard of the new tires to the rear and have always put new ones up front. I usually put 4 new tires on my vehicles when I buy them regardless of what the tires on it look like. But with kids and the cost to raise them it gets hard to do. I'll have to think about what I will do in the future. My one van is running 2 differant sets right now because of a front end issue taking 2 out a while back. I have the better tires up front right now. Maybe I'll swap them it is about time to rotate them.

As far as the original question. I work for a small county and the sheriffs department has quite a few 4x4's. The service deptartment services them every 3k and pulls tires, check brakes, and rotate them every other service. This works well and most end up getting 4 tires at a time. But some deputys don't bring them in on time so a brake check and rotate can end up at 10k instead of the 6k. With the agressive thread we run on those vehicles it can get the front tires singing pretty loud if not brought in on time. Because of this any that do get just 2 tires always get the new ones on the front. Singing tires put to the rear stop singing pretty quick. So because of the siging tires the used ones get put in the rear to smooth them out. Another note none of our vehicles ever run their tires down to the thread bar before replacment.
    Tim

turbo addict

Well, here's another thought. Lets assume (don't start that) the better tires should ALWAYS be on the rear for the reasons provided by michelin and some of the previous posts.

Then why would you ever want to rotate them? Most cars on the road are FWD and they'll always wipe out the front tires 1st. Which is perfect for keeping better tires on the rear

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButchN View Post
    100% true, RWD or FWD, new tires ALWAYS on the front due to steering/cornering/handling/braking.
    Nope, not 100%. I thought this was true until about 10 years ago when I spun my '87 CSX #252 180* on the highway at 80mph. Good front tires, bald rear tires...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Well, here's another thought. Lets assume (don't start that) the better tires should ALWAYS be on the rear for the reasons provided by michelin and some of the previous posts.

Then why would you ever want to rotate them? Most cars on the road are FWD and they'll always wipe out the front tires 1st. Which is perfect for keeping better tires on the rear

Because in warmer climates are summer, having the rear step out due to rain and snow is not going to happen,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast