Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What stall should I go with?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What stall should I go with?

My TC just took a dump, Frank keeps throwing out to use a stock stall and I had a 4000 rpm stall. What is the consensus. Its a heavy van, stage III turbine, 8 valve for now but will be going 16v with the same turbo-TO4E and 50 trim.

Suggestions please.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: What stall should I go with?

well I think if you get a PAT's convertor it will solve your probs. 3500-4000 should be great, give him a call and ask him what he thinks

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

I would go with 3500... otherwise you begin to loose streetability with a large turbo.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Stall? whats that?

5-speed 4 life yo!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Man, the smell is unreal, I have been chasing this whirring noise for about a month. Thought is was a dirty vb, cleaned that, then I changed the pump, still there then it shifting got bad and i was getting this propane smell, couldn't figure it out until last night when I dropped out the black soup that was called tranny fluid. The smell, ugg.

Ok, well I talked to TCS, they said they would give me a deal to fix my old one so I will just have them put the stock stator back in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

I'm sorry to but in, but can you guys explain what the stall does exactally?

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    I'm sorry to but in, but can you guys explain what the stall does exactally?
    Basically stall is when the TC starts to lock, then you start to move forward. The TC is basically a fluid coupler, inside is a some vanes and a stater which has vanes. As you spin it up, the angle of the vanes directs the fluid to the housing and it pushes it, this is your stall. If you two foot it, IE brake and gas, you can get it to around max stall. With stockers, thats around 3500, mine was around 4000. Cars with big cams want a higher stall as they make power higher up so you need to get into the powerband straight away. Low torque cars need a lower stall.
    I have read that large turbo's you want a higher stall but Frank seems to think the opposite?
    Also, no two cars will be exactly the same due to power differences. Say you have a 2000 rpm stall on a SBC, you put a BBC behind it with more power and the stall will move up due to the sheer power of the more powerful engine.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 12-07-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Just go with stock stall. I have a 3200 HD stall convertor from Gary Donovan with .91 gearing on my 2.5L in a 3400lb daytona with me in... plus or minus 50lbs. The higher stall will allow you to launch of a line at a higher rev, however you loose streetability, and if your turbo spools quickly its not as bad. The reason why people say go high with a big turbo is because they need the revs just to see some boost. Well with your 16valve setup and a TRUE 50trim (aka get yours figured out), you will be fine and do great with a 3500rpm stall.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Simon,

I think you should give Chris a call.

He'll hook you up.

Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

boostaholic

I am going to be putting a automatic back in my car and am still unsure of what Torque converter to get for my car.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I know where you can get a deal on a brand new TC with 3500 stall. PM me if you don't know about it already Simon.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Simon,

I think you should give Chris a call.

He'll hook you up.

I did but thats more than I can afford right now. The local tranny shop will have alook at it. If its too much, I'll throw a stocker in there till next year and then get a proper one.

PM'd Mario.

turbo addict

Simon... I've heard good things about these TC's. From what I hear these are phenomenal and will "grow" with your car(van in your case) and are able to handle serious power and are actually streetable. Call and see if they have your application. If you're gonna spend big bux, spend them in the right place.
    http://www.racingconverters.com/converters.html

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Definitely try to keep the converter as tight as you can. If you loosen it up... yes it helps you get into a rev range where you can build boost, but then once you build boost, the huge surge in torque makes sure that converter is slipping the whole way down the track. That's no good. Our engines don't rev high enough to take advantage of a high stall converter.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Ok, I'll be pulling the trans on Sat so if the price is right, I will ask them to put the TC back to stock stall.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Just go with stock stall.

Frank
    Did you know he's using the .91 gearset? He may need a higher stall to get a decent launch with that van.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I have been chasing this whirring noise for about a month. Thought is was a dirty vb, cleaned that, then I changed the pump, still there
    The transmission in my Shadow makes a weird noise as well, and i cannot figure it out. It makes a howl sound at lower speeds, and i can control the sound by the amount of gas i give it, and then it goes away. It also makes a quick howl noise between 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds as well as going into 3rd. but on the highway it doesn't make a noise. It also sometimes doesn't make a noise at all for a while, but then comes back. I think it's coming from the torque converter but it still shifts great, and i've put about 5000Km's on it since i got the car, but the sound still worries me

Ya I know what gearing he is using. I am using the same with probably even taller tires then him.
    Frank Katzenberger

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    The transmission in my Shadow makes a weird noise as well, and i cannot figure it out. It makes a howl sound at lower speeds, and i can control the sound by the amount of gas i give it, and then it goes away. It also makes a quick howl noise between 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds as well as going into 3rd. but on the highway it doesn't make a noise. It also sometimes doesn't make a noise at all for a while, but then comes back. I think it's coming from the torque converter but it still shifts great, and i've put about 5000Km's on it since i got the car, but the sound still worries me

Does it do it in reverse?

The howl could be the final drive or the transfer gears. The whirring noise I had was there all the time, it would change but never go away.

Anyhow, due to time issues, mega busy at work, my baby almost due and MONEY, I am just going to throw in a stock trans from Whorse's parted out van. That will get me mobile for a bit until I get time to take it apart and clean out the black fluid and maybe make a few changes for the new power level coming its way,

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Does it do it in reverse?

The howl could be the final drive or the transfer gears. The whirring noise I had was there all the time, it would change but never go away.
    I have never been in reverse long enough to notice the noise, but i will give it a try and let you know if it does it.. Sorry for jacking your thread BTW. I just thought the noise you were getting from your trans was similar to mine.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast