Thread: Crank Removal

Garrett booster

Crank Removal

I now have a common block to rebuild my Daytona motor and it came with a crank that I need to remove before I can take it for cleaning. How do I remove it? I am having trouble removing the end which has the balance wheel. Can I undo the bolts which hold the crank and simply lift it out?

Re: Crank Removal

what do you mean by balance wheel? that term doesnt make sense. have you ever thought of trying a shop manual for step by step instructions and even pictures?

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The crank gear has to come off to get the crank out and it is a PITA. To get the crank gear off (timing belt gear on the crank) there is a special tool that is like $125.

Ok so the best way to actually get it off is to get a spare accessory pully (because they sometimes bend), a big 3 jaw gear puller (rent from autozone, buy from harbor freight, etc), a bolt with the same thread as the crank bolt but longer, and some bolts to connect the pully to the crank sprocket. (spare intake bolts work well).

You can then use the 3 jaw puller on the outside of the accessory pully against the longer crank bolt. It will slowly pull it out. The intake bolts might or might not be needed depending on the length of the longer crank bolt and the size of the puller.

It works pretty well. Put some antiseeze on the thing when you put it back on!

-Rich

Garrett booster

Thanks Rich,
    I get the picture. My Haines manual and the autozone instructions are not clear and I was really hoping for an easier way.

for no cost and about 20 min of work you can EASILY make your own crank puller. a peice of ¼" steel plate, 6 holes a nut and BAM, you have a crank sprocket puller.

turbo addict

Or if you have a welder and a spare main pulley.

All it takes it's a big size nut with matching bolt, and 5 intake mainfold bolts.

I need to take a picture of my crank sprocket puller.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Just remember the crank gear has a step inside it so don't make the puller so it pushes on that or you will destroy the gear. Also, use a thin rod inside the hole so you don't damage the threads.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I use a all thread stud and a nut for the crank sprocket. No more bolt for me.

turbo addict

that's a good idea! I studed my oil pan...made a big difference with clamping force. Ever broken a crank sprocket? frigging sucks! then it's a hore and a half...

turbo addict

No, but I broke this.

I can sell you the stud and nut for $10 + $2 shipping.

Garrett booster

I have just been trying to fix this. My hands are cold, my nose is dripping from the cold and I have not had any success, the sprocket is on there tight. I think I will have to take it to a garage and have it pulled as I do not have the equipment to make a puller.

Garrett booster

I finally called a mchine shop and outlined my problem and was told to bring it down he would take care of it.
    when I collected it the next day he told me he had had a tough time because the sprocket was siezed on there as the oil pump had siezed and then with the car continuing to be run it had heated the cam sprocket, you get the picture.
    Good news is that the block is good, cleaned and ready for reassembly.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 85LEBARON View Post
    I finally called a mchine shop and outlined my problem and was told to bring it down he would take care of it.
    when I collected it the next day he told me he had had a tough time because the sprocket was siezed on there as the oil pump had siezed and then with the car continuing to be run it had heated the cam sprocket, you get the picture.
    Good news is that the block is good, cleaned and ready for reassembly.
    Yeah good deal and good luck with the re-build bob

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

i made my own crank pulley special tool...

total costs:
    5 old intake bolts
    1 old nut
    2 pieces of metal from trash

like zero $
    so it's worth the 20mins to weld it together.

crank gear came off in like 5 minutes, easy as pie!

Garrett booster

I am not set up to manufacture items like that, I am not too sure how I got sucked in to rebuilding these cars but I have no desire to have a well equipped shop so there are some things which I know I don't want to do, somethings I know I can't do and somethings that I am better off paying to have done. In the meantime I am learning a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 85LEBARON View Post
    I am not set up to manufacture items like that, I am not too sure how I got sucked in to rebuilding these cars but I have no desire to have a well equipped shop so there are some things which I know I don't want to do, somethings I know I can't do and somethings that I am better off paying to have done. In the meantime I am learning a lot.
    wow, you dont own a drill and drill bits. I made a puller from a peice of scrap metal I found on the road, drilled 6 holes- 5 for the pulley and one for the center forcing bolt. no welding needed. I put a nut on the engine side of the plate, held it with a wrench and used another wrench to turn the bolt... as the bolt tightened, it forced the sprocket off the crank

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    wow, you dont own a drill and drill bits. I made a puller from a peice of scrap metal I found on the road, drilled 6 holes- 5 for the pulley and one for the center forcing bolt. no welding needed. I put a nut on the engine side of the plate, held it with a wrench and used another wrench to turn the bolt... as the bolt tightened, it forced the sprocket off the crank
    Easy there. He has stated he has no desire to make certain items, lets leave it at that please.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thankyou Simon.