Thread: How do I make a neon 3 speed a turbo 3 speed?

How do I make a neon 3 speed a turbo 3 speed?

Okay, I remember reading somewhere that internally the 413 turbo and early neon 3 speed tranny is exactly the same. So what do I need to do to get a 3 speed neon tranny up to turbo specs?

~~Heath

boostaholic

Re: How do I make a neon 3 speed a turbo 3 speed?

Are you thinking of making your charger an auto now? I just trashed 2 413s also I would have given them to you so ou could have anything out of them but ill keep my eyes out from some more parts.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRampage View Post
    Are you thinking of making your charger an auto now? I just trashed 2 413s also I would have given them to you so ou could have anything out of them but ill keep my eyes out from some more parts.
    I am not 100% sure that I will be able to make the NVT350 fit wihtout major work. so I am just trying to keep my options open. Thanks!

turbo addict

well its already the same/better stuff except for a lockup sol(and lu input shaft/convertor) and larger/better bearing housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    well its already the same/better stuff except for a lockup sol(and lu input shaft/convertor) and larger/better bearing housing.
    So I could get a ALTO 413 rebuild kit, rebuild a neon 413(Whatever it's designation is), and viola..turbo neon tranny?

turbo addict

well you could get a neon rebuild kit and then get an extra rear clutch and the steels from a 78-80 trans(they are smaller so you can fit 5 in the rear) then ditch the wave rings for solid rings(or the alto clutches)

either way the diff/VB/convertor are all weak from the factory

I suggest a TD non lockup shaft/convertor
    a RMVB
    OBX diff

do some reading of the stickies and such because depending on how much power you are making the input shaft can also break

boostaholic

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by WVRampage View Post
    I wouldnt buy anything from FM unless you want to over pay. A rebuild kit for these trans is like$75 and is missing the over run clutch and thrust washer, like I said you can get different steels and more clutches for like$10

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Don't Neons have 3 clutch discs? if so, you'll need to step up to the TD 4 pack and then either add 1 more or leave them. Some have mentioned the Alto 5 packs are too thin and sheer. I just did the A404 trick on the forward clutch, used 4 thin steels and one reg one to get 5 discs in there and around .040 clearance.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

all neons come w/ 4/4 clutch setup from the factory AFAIK
    I have a newer mini trans and I know for sure that they do.

I just did the A404 trick on the forward clutch, used 4 thin steels and one reg one to get 5 discs in there and around .040 clearance.
    0.040 is pretty loose you beter be prepared for some serious flare.
    Last edited by 87csx2.4; 12-18-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89shelby2.4 View Post
    0.40 is pretty loose you beter be prepared for some serious flare.
    How tight do you want it? everyone says 40-50 thou?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I set mine 15 to 18 thou. alto recommends 18 thou.with the selective snap ring.I know if mine is at 40 thou it will flare like a mutha.

I set mine 15 to 18 thou. alto recommends 18 thou.with the selective snap ring.I know if mine is at 40 thou it will flare like a mutha.
    Ok, I have to replace my TC anyhow, it let go the other week so I'll redo it. Need to remove the black tar I now have instead of cherry red Amsoil,

turbo addict

how are you setting it though? Is that the size that will just squeze in there or fit gently?

how are you setting it though? Is that the size that will just squeze in there or fit gently?
    Fairly snug but not so tight that you have to jam it in.

Mitsu booster

That's a misprint from Alto. I phoned them and checked in on that cuz it sounded too tight for the front clutch. That spec is for the rear clutch, not the front clutch. They accidently put the rear clutch spec in the front clutch box.
    A "rule of thumb" in the tranny world for a shifting clutch (such as our front clutch) .010"-.015" per clutch/steel. So if you have a front clutch setup of 5 clutches, then .050" would be a good clearance.
    A "rule of thumb" spec for a "holding" clutch (our rear clutch) .005"-.010" per clutch/steel.
    .018" is too little for the front clutch. There's not enough clearance for the clutches to slip properly when it's not engaged. It will create extra heat, added wear, and you'll lose hp from the added "tightness".

Chad Kilback "Kil-time Tranny Tuning" ckilback3@nucleus.com
    Calgary, Alberta SDAC
    88 Daytona Shelby "Zedd"
    12.43 @ 111 quickest time
    12.6 @ 113.00 fastest time
    87 New Yorker "Norker Zedd" 2.5L TII 14.6 @ 93

Mitsu booster

You want to squeeze it in very tightly. Why? When the clutch is engaging, it's squeezing everything together with hundreds of pounds of force. All that force will squeeze out every bit of clearance it possibly can. If you fit the feelers too loose, you'll get a false reading, cuz the force of the clutches will "squeeze out" more clearance than what your loosly fitting feeler gauges will read. You actually do want to "jam it in there".

Chad Kilback

It will create extra heat, added wear, and you'll lose hp from the added "tightness".
    Thats why my car is so slow I was begining to get frustrated.Ive set my front clutch at 40 thou before and it flared quite a bit between 2nd and 3rd,tightened it up and no flare at all.My trans temp gauge stays at 180 degrees ran it hard all summer with countless passes at the strip.Thats interesting though,is it possible that this would slow topend mph?I had my other trans in the 8 valve setup the same way when I pulled it apart the clutches showed almost no wear I even compared them to the new ones with digital caliper measurements.That trans had over 100 passes at the strip and I dont know how many street miles.
    Last edited by 87csx2.4; 12-24-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Mitsu booster

Thats why my car is so slow I was begining to get frustrated.
    It won't create any drag when it's in 3rd gear when the front clutch is engaged. It will in 1st and 2nd though. How much will it lose? I don't know, maybe 5 to 10 hp? Maybe not enough where you'd notice it at your power level. Besides, YOU won't notice it in 1st and 2nd gear when you already smoke the tires through these two gears

Ive set my front clutch at 40 thou before and it flared quite a bit between 2nd and 3rd,tightened it up and no flare at all.My trans temp gauge stays at 180 degrees ran it hard all summer with countless passes at the strip.
    It won't create heat like a slipping converter, or a clutch that *is* engaged but slipping. But the extra friction from the added tightness will obviously create more heat. Especially in 1st gear when the steels are rotating counter-clockwise and are rubbing against the frictions which are spinning clockwise. Not as bad in 2nd gear when the steels are stationary while the frictions are still spinning clockwise.

Thats interesting though,is it possible that this would slow topend mph?
    Maybe if you go through the traps in 2nd gear at 10,000 rpm

I had my other trans in the 8 valve setup the same way when I pulled it apart the clutches showed almost no wear I even compared them to the new ones with digital caliper measurements.That trans had over 100 passes at the strip and I dont know how many street miles.
    Don't take my word for it on the added drag, see for youself. Lube up and install some (5) clutches in the front drum and set clearance to say .050". Then engage the front drum onto it's hub and spin the front drum and note how much drag there is.
    Then, set the clearance to .020" and spin again and note how much drag there is and compare.

This is one of those things where someone's ventured out of the "rule of thumb" area and it seems to be working so far. It may work great for the actual 2-3 shift, but I still feel this isn't enough clearance for 5 clutches when they're not engaged during 1st and 2nd gear.

Chad Kilback