Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade PT Lifters

Hybrid booster

Homemade PT Lifters

Sooo today I was bored and started looking at a set of stock lifters and figured... why not drill them out to make PT lifters.

So I strapped it in the drill press and took me 4 drill bits to make two of them but so far so good, once I finish all of them I'll let you guys know how it works. I am sure you are all like me and have more than one set of lifters kicking around so if this works it could be an UBER cheap proper height lifter setup. I think I am going to go buy a nice drill bit tommorow to see if they will do better than my cheapo multipack set I was using.

Hybrid booster

Re: Homemade PT Lifters

My biggest concern would be getting the metal filings on the inside of the lifter, which would make its way into the rest of the engine's oiling system. If you could disassemble the lifter first, drill, then THOROUGHLY CLEAN all the metal pieces out, then reassemble, that would definately be better. Those metal chips can come back and bite you later.

Mike
    www.PowreHaus.com

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Agreed! So what size drill bit are you using? Also what kind of oil pump are you using?
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

I believe it's a 3/64th not 100% I got a box of the bits in the Garage if it was a metric measurement I would remember for sure lol. What I have been doing to minimize the amount of shavings is to drill almost all the way through, stop clean off the lifter, then oil up the bit and drill the rest of the way through. I can't disassemble the lifter and hope to put it back together properly so my plan is blast it full of brake clean through the top hole. The oil pump that is in my car now is kind of wonky to begin with and gives me 90 psi of oil pressure about 3k RPM and 35 psi of warm idle pressure so I believe it will be able to cope with the holes well enough

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Cool beans, ya that was what I was hinting at to see what you were starting with so we could correlate the results. I imagine that stuff is rough to drill into!!!

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

oh yeah it is rough, especially to start with... who would've thought hardened steel would be so tough LOL. The trick to not breaking bits however it to snug the bit up far into the chuck so you just have a little bit of drill bit sticking out so you can really push on it. AND Compress the lifter in a vice first to get all the oil out of it makes it tons easier to drill. I am going to to try and finish the rest up later today

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why don't you find some old PT lifters and just swap the top. I believe that theres a valve/orifice in there so there isn't a constant bleed out of oil.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

because if I could find some PT lifters for cheap I would just use them with washers
    Can anyone with a set of PT lifters verify the orifice? cause I don't know if there is room for anything on the inside of them

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    because if I could find some PT lifters for cheap I would just use them with washers
    Can anyone with a set of PT lifters verify the orifice? cause I don't know if there is room for anything on the inside of them
    Pickapart baby. Our has 3 DOHC engines that I am going to rob stuff from,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Well you go rob me a set of (16) PT style'd lifters and I'll pay you for them

None of the pull your own parts yards have anything newer than 98

Hybrid booster

Okay the bit I am using is a 3/32nd bit and it took me 12 lifters to make 8 good ones doh I broke 4 bits off in the lifters... I didn't bother getting a good bit. I would recommend one of those cobalt ones. I am waiting on a 314 cam to come in and when it does I'll put in the lifters as well and let you guys know how it goes

Hybrid booster

The tip of the PT lifter is shorter than the 2.2 lifter. I took pics and even took a lifter apart and have a pic of an exploded view, but I'm not allowed to post pics. If somebody would like to post the, I'll email them to you.

A #42 drill bit fit best in the hole of the PT lifter, which is about the same as the 3/32" bit. I'm going to try drilling one, but disassembled to see how it works out. I have a 1/16" cobalt bit I'll use. I think the smaller hole should work just fine.

Mike
    www.PowreHaus.com

what do the lifters feel like? We had a set of 4.0 lifters that were taller but when i push on them they are real springy, not hard to push in like all my used ones

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    The tip of the PT lifter is shorter than the 2.2 lifter. I took pics and even took a lifter apart and have a pic of an exploded view, but I'm not allowed to post pics. If somebody would like to post the, I'll email them to you.

A #42 drill bit fit best in the hole of the PT lifter, which is about the same as the 3/32" bit. I'm going to try drilling one, but disassembled to see how it works out. I have a 1/16" cobalt bit I'll use. I think the smaller hole should work just fine.

Mike
    www.PowreHaus.com
    Why can't you show them? did someone from Dodge ask you not too?

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    what do the lifters feel like? We had a set of 4.0 lifters that were taller but when i push on them they are real springy, not hard to push in like all my used ones
    Mine are rock hard when pumped up, if there empty then they will be spongy.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

You should see how spongy they are when running. Unfreakin' believable... I had a clacking lifter when I put the 2.5 in my Lancer. The same lifters were quiet as could be in the other head. I ran the car a while hoping the noisey dudes would quiet down. Bzzzzt. I ran the car with the valve cover off and used a TBI curtain to watch them. Wow, what a dance these puppies do.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Why can't you show them? did someone from Dodge ask you not too?

Mine are rock hard when pumped up, if there empty then they will be spongy.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFastGTC View Post
    You should see how spongy they are when running. Unfreakin' believable... I had a clacking lifter when I put the 2.5 in my Lancer. The same lifters were quiet as could be in the other head. I ran the car a while hoping the noisey dudes would quiet down. Bzzzzt. I ran the car with the valve cover off and used a TBI curtain to watch them. Wow, what a dance these puppies do.

Steve M.
    I had a look once, or should I say tried to but the oil being flung around was enough. Didn't feel like shampooing my engine bay,

Hybrid booster

Mike email me the pictures I'll post them badachew at Hotmail.com

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadFastGTC View Post

Steve M.
    Yea, I watched a 2.5 on a spin test dyno not HP dyno, run with the valve cover off. Alot of cam lift bleeding off looked like to me!!! That's one reason why I was, maybe still am going to solid lifters.

Hybrid booster

PT vs Stock Lifter

Exploded Stock

Courtesy of Mike

Theres something wrong with the side by side post, the PT lifter should be shorter, it appears taller???????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast