Thread: Minivan with block heater question

Garrett booster

Minivan with block heater question

Alright well this is the first winter for my minivan. I noticed it has the plug with the male end for it hanging in the very front, so I'm assuming its a block heater. I tried tracing the wires but they end up going into a harness and then I loose them. I don't really know if this was a factory option but it sure looks factory to me. Anyway it is starting to get REALLY COLD here and if it is a block heater then starting my van and having it be nice and warm right away would be great. I dunno really how these things work but what I had planned is running an extension cord out to it and leaving it plugged in overnight so when I go and start it in the morning when I go to work it will be nice and warm. Will I be able to do this or will that be bad leaving it plugged in so long? Any tips and info would be a huge help guys. Thanks in advance.

Re: Minivan with block heater question

the block heater is designed to be plugged in for as long as you want. it probably is in a frost plug hole on the back side of the engine. one thing you should be careful of, make damn sure you unplug the heater before you take off. Being in WI, I have seen several customers forget to do this, sometimes it just unplugs, but sometimes, there is damage done.

I know some people leave them plug in for days. Also have seen alot extension cord on road ways on really cold days here.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If its there, its in the back, smack dab in the center of the van. Jack it up and look for it, you should see the cord going to it or a plug with a female connector. Usually, they pop put so there replaced with regular frost plugs.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I will check over the weekend to make sure everything is there and then I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Do all mini vans have this??

dave, for ALL minivan's to have a block heater would be foolish for Chrysler to have installed them say for vans destinated for FL, TX, CA, GA, AZ, NM. All minivans COULD have block heaters if every customer had ordered them. see the block heater is an option both from the OEM level (Chrysler) or the Dealer level.. and anyone could install one on their own. So ALL minivans do not have have block heaters.