Thread: R/t Wont Start!!!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid booster

R/t Wont Start!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought this car not to long ago. It ran and idled fine except that i couldnt really feel any boost (vac line issue)...

so i thought no problem ill go through it and fix the little issues with it before i put a full year of insurance.

all i did so far was fix a few oil leaks (turbo oiling lines)
    hook the actuator vac line back up with new vac lines
    and took out the crap bosch platinium plugs out and replaced with champions (RN9YC)

so i went to hook the battery back up and the front marker lights and the rear brake lights all start flashing and on the dash it says "ALARM SET"...and it keeps doing this for 1 or 2 minutes and then it stops!!!?!?

i turn the car on and it fires up only to stay on for a split second.
    i check to see if i left anything unplugged. O2 sensor was off so i plugged it back in and fired the car up. It died right after it fired up.

I unplugged the battery thinkn it was still reading the O2 sensor and plug it back it. and again when i hooked it up the lights started flashing and the dash once again read "ALARM SET" for a minute and went away again. I turn the car on-it fires then dies again!!

i checked the codes; no codes. I fired it up gave it gas but it still died right away!!

i dont know why its doing this!!! could it be issues with the alarm? accoring to the prev owner he had the alarm unhooked and had a "chip" system installed...For those of you who dont know its a chip that you need to plug in to have the car start up, without the chip the car wont start.

So all i can think of is...
    A) champion RN9YC arent the right plugs for 16v engine
    B) the alarm is screwing everything up
    C)..theres a curse on this daytona?

PLEASE HELP I WANT THIS CAR TO RUN....I NEED A CAR TO GET TO AND FROM WORK!!

ill make a thread at td.com if no one answers here soooo HELP!
    Last edited by WOP'R; 11-28-2006 at 02:52 AM.

Re: R/t Wont Start!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the key to lock and unlock the door and then try starting it. Report back here and let me know if that works.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Use the key to lock and unlock the door and then try starting it. Report back here and let me know if that works.
    It WILL work. The car has a factory security alarm that is preventing it from starting. This happens Anytime the power is lost or the battery is disconnected. Like Aries K said, with the battery hooked up, lock and unlock the door "WITH THE KEY", then get in and start it.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    It WILL work. The car has a factory security alarm that is preventing it from starting. This happens Anytime the power is lost or the battery is disconnected. Like Aries K said, with the battery hooked up, lock and unlock the door "WITH THE KEY", then get in and start it.
    DING DING DING it worked!

Well looks like the prev owner didnt have the factory alarm system tak'n out and i dont have the key-chain remote

odd thing though, when i went to unlock it with the key the alarm went off and it only turned off when i locked the door again..odd.

Have any of you guys had pad experiances with the factory alarm system? Would it be a good idea to take it out along with that "chip" system and replace it with an after market unit?

thanks

once i get the air box back on and take it for a boot ill update you guys with the progress of the drivability

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Rob, Rob, Rob. What are we going to do with you? Most cars with factory alarms, you can arm and disarm them unlocking and locking it with the key. Tell you what, this car is to complicated for you, just give it to me and I'll give you a nice, simple Shadow to drive, I mean, what are friends for,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Rob, Rob, Rob. What are we going to do with you? Most cars with factory alarms, you can arm and disarm them unlocking and locking it with the key. Tell you what, this car is to complicated for you, just give it to me and I'll give you a nice, simple Shadow to drive, I mean, what are friends for,
    yeah i dont think so, id rather rap this one around a tree then buy a shadow

all i can say is, the previous/original owner told me he had the factory alarm disabled and taken out. Apparantly not...now with that being said i wonder if it is working correctly or if things are half assed on it like his ghetto glued vac lines

Quote Originally Posted by WOP'R View Post
    yeah i dont think so, id rather rap this one around a tree then buy a shadow

all i can say is, the previous/original owner told me he had the factory alarm disabled and taken out. Apparantly not...now with that being said i wonder if it is working correctly or if things are half assed on it like his ghetto glued vac lines

Dude, for the price you paid, your actually going to believe anything he said? give your head a shake man, I would expect you will find alot of ghetto stuff, be prepared.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

The factory security alarm has a "On-Board" diagnostics mode. It works like pulling codes, (with the doors closed) Turn the key from "Off" to "ACC" (instead of "ON") three times. Then Open and Close each door & the Hood. Check the Turnk hatch also, but most are not included in the system. Read about the system here:
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/factory_security and see figure 4 for the AG & AJ Body's.
    The Daytona's and Lebarons did Not come with Remote Keyless Entry. There was a module for the "AC & AY" Body's and a couple people have said that they were going to try to grab one from a jy and try to add it on, but I have never heard of any one that actually did it.
    If you decide that you want to disable the Factory Security Alarm; The car MUST be running when you remove the Theft Alarm Module.
    Hope this helps. If you have any questions, email me at Mopar4Evr@neo.rr.com
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

^^^^^^Thats great info Ralph, thanks!

Hybrid booster

crap, the issue has come back in a different form.
    this is the second time after i started this thread that thishas happened....

first time at work and had to move the car. got in and went to crank the car over and everything went dead. the alarm set light came on, and so i closed the door and re opened it with the key. The alarm set light turned off, so i got to start the car and everything dead again and this time the alarm horn went off till i took the key out of the egnition. Screwed around with the car for a half hour ie: opening and closing the doors, hood trunk etc etc and finally when i went to turned it over, the car started up. Moved it, turned it off and decided to turn it back on and all of the above happened again untill i disconnected the battery and all was good untill last night.

All of the above happened again, but this time after reconnectiing the battery it still wouldnt start! the only difference this time the engine would keep trying to turn over for for 5-8 seconds untill the alarm went off instead of hearing a click and everything turning off and the alarm horn turning on.

wtf is going on?

PS..the second time around i forgot to plug in the chip when i first tried to start it. But this shouldnt effect anything cause ive done that before with no harm being done

Quote Originally Posted by WOP'R View Post
    crap, the issue has come back in a different form.
    this is the second time after i started this thread that thishas happened....

first time at work and had to move the car. got in and went to crank the car over and everything went dead. the alarm set light came on, and so i closed the door and re opened it with the key. The alarm set light turned off, so i got to start the car and everything dead again and this time the alarm horn went off till i took the key out of the egnition. Screwed around with the car for a half hour ie: opening and closing the doors, hood trunk etc etc and finally when i went to turned it over, the car started up. Moved it, turned it off and decided to turn it back on and all of the above happened again untill i disconnected the battery and all was good untill last night.

All of the above happened again, but this time after reconnectiing the battery it still wouldnt start! the only difference this time the engine would keep trying to turn over for for 5-8 seconds untill the alarm went off instead of hearing a click and everything turning off and the alarm horn turning on.

wtf is going on?

PS..the second time around i forgot to plug in the chip when i first tried to start it. But this shouldnt effect anything cause ive done that before with no harm being done
    It sounds to me like you have a loose connection somewhere that is causing you to loose power to the whole system. I would first check the alarm system by going thru the self diagnostics check per the FSM. If nothing there and you can get the car running; open the glove box and push in on the sides to drop the door all the way open, then WITH THE CAR RUNNING, Unplug the Theft Alarm Module. See Fig. 4 http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/image/29092784
    This will totally disarm the Security System. I would leave it dis-armed until you figure our what is causing the power loss issue. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Blue Iroc R/T; 12-17-2006 at 07:48 PM.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

Hybrid booster

OK had some time today.

went to turn the car and same thing. engine would keep trying to start and the horn would sound twice while the engine cranked.

ran the alarm diagnostic and the results are:
    everthing checked out and is in working order except for the hood switch wich did not trigger the alarm. This switch was always unplugged since i bought it and only plugged it in to run the diagnostic check...one odd thing i found was even though my power doorlock switches dont work the alarm says they are in working order (alarm sounded when i pressed the bottons).

pulled the engine codes and nothing came up.
    checked the fuses and everything is fine
    so i checked to see if there was spark to each spark plug.
    all the plugs when pulled were wet with gas and there was an orange spark created between the plug and engine surface for each plug....weak spark...bad coil??

either that or the timing belt skipped a few teeth when i last turned the car off?

is this also true for the 92 iroc r/t the cranking issue that is
    is there a way to test the computer?

Hybrid booster

my car ended up firing up. As soon as that happened i unplugged the alarm system. So far there hasnt been any issues