69 90.79%
  • No

7 9.21%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New custom cams!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: New custom cams!

Quote Originally Posted by mrboost
    Actually, I was going to do this with my race car which is auto.

They're correct though, manual is better for testing if you want to see a dyno curve from an inertia dyno that more closely matches what you'd see on an engine dyno. HOWEVER, if you were making a cam for an auto then, well, manual isn't so good. LOL
    Great, throw a wrech into it, lol!

I have a few guys around me that can test so no biggie. I probably won't have specific auto/stick grinds anyhow, that would cost too much.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman

As for Gary D's gear, yes, it is off, I install the cam using the stock 557 pulley, then try to put the adj one on-doesn't fit, Its aprox 4 deg off-retarded.
    Oh swell. Now I have to put my 557 gear back on (if I can still find it...)to see if the RP adjustable gear is indexed right or not. It never ends!

Quote Originally Posted by John B
    Oh swell. Now I have to put my 557 gear back on (if I can still find it...)to see if the RP adjustable gear is indexed right or not. It never ends!
    I redid it last night and Steve is right, its aprox 2 deg retarded. Not really a big deal if you see that when you put it together. Heck, the gear is adjustable, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Great, throw a wrech into it, lol!

I have a few guys around me that can test so no biggie. I probably won't have specific auto/stick grinds anyhow, that would cost too much.
    However, I DO have a 5 spd, and Paul is just around the corner for me for tuning purposes. Not to mention that I need to get teh car re-done anyways (Paul, you'll be hearing from me soon on that note) that if you really need someone to test on the 2.2 side of things for high rpm airflow stuff then I could be your guy.

The new head should hopefully be right around 220 cfm intake.

Aaron Miller

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John B
    The purpose of the adjustable cam gear is for those either wishing to shift the power curve, OR more importantly, those who swapped out their stock cam, for a TBI or slider to roller setup (or Taft or?)

So... dialing in, track, dyno or seat of the pants is the best as even straight up may not be 100% straight up when you add in all the stack up tolerances of the sprocket's keyways, and the shaft's keyways (total of 4 degrees right there) and belt stretch and tension, etc...

Don't sweat it... we are only talking a difference of 2 degrees here which your engine could be out that or more by itself with the oem stock gear, technically speaking. If wishing to install the cam gear at the 0 mark from the get go, then maybe an adjustable cam gear is no better for you than a stocker that is permanantly set to 0.

Garrett booster

Ramp rates have been brought up in this thread so I figured I'd throw in something.

If one was looking to increase ramp rates, either a larger roller or a larger base circle would have to be utilized.

If the cams were ground for a shorter lifter (higher base circle) then you could use a more aggressive ramp rate. The PT lifters are .110 inches shorter are they not(I honestly cannot remember). If the cams were just ground for this there could be quite a bit more lee way on the grind itself.

For a demostration, look at a 4.6 2v/4v Ford camshaft. They use a follower nearly identical to 2.2 followers, bu the base circle is double or more the diameter of our puny camshafts.

Another option which would be a more expensive option would be for an entire valvetrain package. Use shorter valves and the PT lifters, factory follower and a large base circle custom grind and different springs obviously. This would open the door to almost anything without changing the angle that the rocker sits on both the lifter and the valve tip, so hopefully it wouldn't introduce a problem with kicking rockers off more often.

Of course, we'd be looking at a 500$ cam package at that point...

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection
    If wishing to install the cam gear at the 0 mark from the get go, then maybe an adjustable cam gear is no better for you than a stocker that is permanantly set to 0.
    I like to start from the position the cam was designed to install at and then tweak it from there.

Very interesting Putter. I like it but most don't believe in the PT lifters so maybe something for a one off?

One reason I want to go with new billets so I can use my PT lifters.

Another good reason is to keep our valve/rocker/lifter geometry as close to the original position as practical to minimize guide wear from side loading.

Hybrid booster

yeah. i'll gladley give them some real street testing for ya!

turbo addict

I'd agree with the heavy vehicle aspect. With a Lebaron Drop Top and a Van, I don't exactly have 2 light cars.

Something lumpy that makes our cars sound mean with an opened exhaust would be excellent for street purposes.

If you want to go all out, look into cams like ferarri uses, with variations on the lobes, computer controlled to change with RPMs. There's a decent diagram of them on howstuffworks.com I think.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves
    Which is great, but I do highway racing more than anything else, and an auto just doesn't cut it in that arena.

Aaron Miller
    An auto with high final drive pulls just fine on the highway bud
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    An auto with high final drive pulls just fine on the highway bud
    Right, but it's not as flexible as far as a good starting point for a race. With only two gears to choose from now it's more than likely either a bit too low or a bit too high of an rpm that you're trying to sit at when you hit the 3rd honk. With the 5 speed it gives you a little more flexibility, as well as the tricky 2nd honk punch the clutch and tach up and dump it from a roll... wow what a feeling!!

Aaron Miller

turbo addict

I'm in for a Cam for heavier cars. My GTC weighs as much as my Caravan with the soft top and seat motors all added in, so I have two vehicles that might benefit.

any updates?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Probably not going to happen, to much politics. I can't afford to sink money in and get shafted.

ill check my photo bucket to morrow for my cam card bedtime now
    later Dick Westerhof

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456