Thread: Little to no brakes, help!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Little to no brakes, help!

On my way home in the van, I'm at a light and I put the brake to the floor just for some reason, anyways immediately the BRAKE light comes on. I had very little brakes at all. Luckily I was less than a mile from home.

I get home try to start checking things out. Couldn't get the hood open. Take the grill off and find the cable's perch just fell off, reconnect that and open the hood. Brake fluid was still in the reservoir. I just changed front brakes today so I thought it pumped too much fluid out when I depressed the piston in the caliber.

Get in it, stand on the brake and notice a vaccum-type noise coming from the driver's rear. Get back there and there's a puddle of brake fluid coming from the drum. I inspected the lines and they look alright, so I'm thinking it's the wheel cylinder.

I've never even touched a drum brake before, any tips on how to go about doing this job??

boostaholic

Re: Little to no brakes, help!

There not that hard to work on just get take both drums off and dissassemble one at a time and if you realy think you cant ask your dad for help Im sure he can help you out,just relax and take your time.

Garrett booster

step 1: cry

step 2: go buy one of those tools to get the spring retainers off!!!!!! Otherwise, you'll cry some more.

The only other really difficult part is the springs, but if you've got some good vise grips they're not that bad.

Don't forget to replace the hardware kits too!!!

boostaholic

Make sure you replace BOTH rr whl. cyl. Buy a good line wrench so you don,t strip the line nut. Adj. the Shoes with the whls. OFF + just a slight drag on the drum. Make SURE you can get the drum back off by hand after adjustment. Use only a slight bit of dielectric grease on the backing plate pads. Do 1 side at at time + note the shoe lining, the shorter lining goes to the frt. Hope this helps.

Hybrid booster

he blew a steel line and is coming over to use my arlin vanke brake flair kit, then we go from there. go dave . alan

Nervermind, turned out to be a line. The fitting right on the back of the drum burst. Bought some brake line and I'm going to Al's to get it flared and I'm doing it tonight. Thanks guys.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Nervermind, turned out to be a line. The fitting right on the back of the drum burst. Bought some brake line and I'm going to Al's to get it flared and I'm doing it tonight. Thanks guys.
    Fun stuff, you'll have to bleed the brakes when your done, beware of rusty bleeder valves that break off in the wheel cylinders when you do that. Might be wise to spray them with some good penetrating oil now.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Mitsu booster

Also remember, bleed one, bleed all...

rr, lf, lr, rf. Bleed in that order...

(You'd be amazed how many people just try to bleed one then wonder why their brakes are wonkie)

Well I got the line ready to go, the brake line just fell off the fittings by me pulling on it. Get the fitting off from the drum, start on the fitting on the bracket on top of the axle and it just strips out completely. Now I have to buy the rubber line to connect to the body.

Ahhhh I don't think this is going to be one of those reliable Mopar's.

About bleeding it... I sprayed the bleeder valve with PB already. Do I need to bleed all 4 brakes?? I thought if I bled the driver's rear that gets the air out of the driver's rear to pass. front line?? The driver's front and pass's rear aren't affected because of the proportioning valve, right?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

If the master got low enough on fluid for the pedal to get soft you probably have air in all the lines, thus the recommendation to bleed them all. Brakes are something you want to do right and not try to get away with just enough on, you never know when you may need to lay on them hard for a yellow light or something . Also brake fluid should be changed occasionally anyhow since it collects moisture, looking at the shape the van was in when you brought it home, I'm guessing the brake fluid looks like the coffee at an Amoco station, nows your chance to change it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

K, I'll bleed them all, thanks guys. Anyone know how much DOT 3 I'll be needing?

Mitsu booster

About a quart.

I understand your reasoning about proportioning valves, but I've also seen where when they get "pushed" to one end or the other (due to leakage forcing all work to one circuit) to stick a bit, and never loosen back up when you bleed the affected side.

Honestly, if that one side is doing this, I would be inspecting all the lines, rubber and steel, and make sure it's all in good shape.

All joking aside, the life you save may be your own.

My old rule of thumb, never skimp on brakes or suspension...

I'm going Wednesday to OhioRob's and him and I are changing all brake and fuel lines from front to back.