Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: The Singh Slash

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: The Singh Slash

Quote Originally Posted by 10G OMNI View Post
    It looks like it dosent make your car run any worse, so why not try it when you get a chance.
    I don't spend money on 'performance' mods that are not gauranteed to add 'performance'.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    What testing?
    ...and was it on a Turbo Mopar?

Sorry but a head is a head and an engine is an engine are not true. A SBC head it an entirely different animal than a 2.2L head, not to mention the forced induction part where the air is pushed thru rather than sucked into.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    What testing?
    Check out the PDFs

http://www.herningg.com/singh/

I love the ionization graphs. They show the grooves are have an effect. At the least helping make the combustion events less erratic from one event to the next. It is interesting to see the effect they have on when the peak pressure is and how high (torque).

The lower EGTs is something I have notice myself. It was good to see a mostly positive effect on the emissions. (higher NOx sometimes)

Though the mileage was not tested explictly, we can see the thermal efficieny (how well gas is converted to power) TE% is higher with the grooves.

I am a little disappointed in that, sometimes, it shows a slow down of the combustion process. But I guess that explains why people report they can run more timing

Would of been interesting to see some testing where the setup was tuned for the grooves as well.
    Last edited by ssheen; 12-02-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling , more info

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    Check out the PDFs

I love the ionization graphs. They show the grooves are have an effect. At the least helping make the combustion events less erratic from one event to the next. It is interesting to see the effect they have on when the peak pressure is and how high (torque).

The lower EGTs is something I have notice myself. It was good to see a mostly positive effect on the emissions. (higher NOx sometimes)

Though the mileage was not tested explictly, we can see the thermal efficieny (how well gas is converted to power) TE% is higher with the grooves.

I am a little disappointed in that, sometimes, it shows a slow down of the combustion process. But I guess that explains why people report they can run more timing

Would of been interesting to see some testing where the setup was tuned for the grooves as well.
    I am referring to Simon's statement.... I have seen the link you listed above, but somethings just don't jive.... I am still trying to take it all in.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

I understand that Frank. I am as well. Lots of info there. Curious to hear your thoughts once it is digested.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The testing shows gains at mid area, and not really anything at WOT which is where Pro Stock, etc is, WOT, lol!
    also all the improvements were to emissions and egts, where we would benefit from the lower egts. and we might be just that much closer to havin a 'green' car lol

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I believe it works in some cases. Those cases are where inefficient combustion is happening and needs this fix. Even a SBC head differs GREATLY as there are so many iterations of them.

But, a great cylinder head design doesn't need the help in the 1st place. That's why we aren't seeing them in NASCAR or Top Fuel heads (I've seen both in person and were recent heads)

Our heads are of poor design, and maybe they can actually benefit from them. I'll take the other approach and learn to walk, crawl, or jog instead of shooting for the sprint.

Master the basics 1sts... exhaust and master the standard approach to porting, and once you have attained that level (nobody here has) then dig deep to pull out all tricks for the advantage.

I will gaurantee that if you take 2 heads: One ported to a mastererful piece that flows substantially with good velocity, etc, and another with no porting, but the grooves, the one ported properly to move the air will be head and shoulders above the slash head.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I believe it works in some cases. Those cases are where inefficient combustion is happening and needs this fix. Even a SBC head differs GREATLY as there are so many iterations of them.

But, a great cylinder head design doesn't need the help in the 1st place. That's why we aren't seeing them in NASCAR or Top Fuel heads (I've seen both in person and were recent heads)

Our heads are of poor design, and maybe they can actually benefit from them. I'll take the other approach and learn to walk, crawl, or jog instead of shooting for the sprint.

Master the basics 1sts... exhaust and master the standard approach to porting, and once you have attained that level (nobody here has) then dig deep to pull out all tricks for the advantage.

I will gaurantee that if you take 2 heads: One ported to a mastererful piece that flows substantially with good velocity, etc, and another with no porting, but the grooves, the one ported properly to move the air will be head and shoulders above the slash head.
    the slash has nothing to do with airflow just combustion characteristics

travis

Quote Originally Posted by cs daytona View Post
    the slash has nothing to do with airflow just combustion characteristics

travis

I know that.

What I am saying is master the basics... the tried and true methods before diving into advanced engineering.

For us... there is far more HP to be found by improving portwork methods via R+D than there will be with slashes and groove technology.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster

oh, for a second there i thought you didnt know what you were talking about. lol but good point. i just did it cus the head was off anyway and that was my only car and i couldnt afford to do a port yet. so why the hell not id try something new.

travis

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turboking View Post
    Got my hybrid running again. The only thing i changed was my bearings, rings, had the same pistons, rods and crank redone. I am using the same head , block, intake, turbo, cams. I did this
    http://somender-singh.com/content/view/68/49/
    to the head
    The difference is night and day. the motor reeves quicker and at idle it dont move, video comming
    How well is doing this engine so far?

A former employee of the race engine shop that I work at stopped by last July. He is way up in the R+D at Hendricks Motorsports and I was fortunate enough to talk with him for a few minutes (NHIS race in NH...he was sorta local)

They still do not do slashes and grooves. Bandaid fix for improper design and show no real gains.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster

It depends on the gains one is looking for. Lower EGTs and Lower emissions have been shown in dyno testing. Combustion characteristics are of a higher octane fuel than what is being used.

so why is Hendricks not using them then?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Or in general, how come OEM's, NASCAR, or any engine developer that is looking for every ounce of gain and has the funds and resources to prove or disprove anything dont use it?

Snake oil.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Wow, talk about an old thread. I just can't believe something just because it is posted on a forum or on the internet. What I mean is, I need to see it in person and be there for everything. There are too many things that could have been changed that can't be seen in a post. Some would say its a sad way to look at it, but I don't. If they won't or I am not allowed to see it in person, it would make me think.
    It has to be tested one step at a time. As soon as someone talks about doing a step by step, people start chiming in with "but you have to" or "it won't work unless." You do the exact same thing to both setups. Many wanted to put the cart before the horse. I know, discussed long ago, but haven't really seen anything about it lately.
    You could do no groove, one groove, two grooves and three grooves and see if one works better than the others.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

JT, no idea why others are not using it. I think you said it already though. The grooves are a bandaid.

I suspect, in newer set ups where turblence is maximised from other design changes, the grooves may have nothing to offer. I know a few people that run them with our 782 and G-heads with success that they are happy with. I have talked with Automotivebreath a few times. He seems to have lots of success with his older big block stuff, and others.

If I had more time and money I would like to run the same head I have now, with out them, in favour of other mods. To see what would happen.

A very in depth study of the grooves. I love the ionization stuff. Would kill to put that on the car hooked into a MS system.

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    JT, no idea why others are not using it. I think you said it already though. The grooves are a bandaid.
    The only way bandaids work is if they are solving a problem, or if they are the least restriction in a system, as in after everything else is maxed out. After everything else is maxed out, will they even make a difference? Shouldnt even need a bandaid at that point.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011