Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resonator power robbing effects-if any? Does location affect its ability?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Exclamation Resonator power robbing effects-if any? Does location affect its ability?

Haven't seen this topic brought up before so figured, WTH. A customer brought me a Vibrant resonator to put on his 1st Gen SRT 4 engine hybrid. The core length is 9 1/2 inches and 3 inch diameter, sooooooooo what effect would this have on sound control AND will this affect power? Considering to knock the interior sound down on my van, with baby on board, want to protect his ears until he's a little older,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Re: Resonator power robbing effects-if any?

I know a glass pack will help out with interior sound and well they dont realy change flow much.

Re: Resonator power robbing effects-if any? Does location affect its ability?

I found some resonator tips on Ebay. This one-

Or is it better to put them inline up further. I would be putting one up under the floor where the muffler used to be. I would be using this one-

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Bueller, anyone?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

How does your present set up terminate? Is the outlet beyond the edge of the body? On my GLHT, extending the tip of the turn down about 6 inches beyond the edge of the body cut down the interior noise tremendously. I imagine that before the sound waves bounced back up under the car.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Stock location, out behind the right rear wheel. I had a turn down but it was deafening.

Helloooooooooo?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

location makes little difference. Some cars have them closer to the front, some at the rear. If the car has a muffler, typically the resonator will follow the muffler. A resonator is usually a straight through design, offers very little back pressure, and does not work as well as a muffler. They are usually used as either (a) an extra muffler to help knock down some of the noise, or (b) used to stop engine drone or noise of a particular frequency (like the drone you get from 1st gen flowmasters) or at a particular engine rpm (again, like the 1st gen flowmasters).

SRT4s dont have a muffler, only a resonator. My old 69 Road Runner had mufflers AND resonators. On a turbo car I think resonators are the way to go. Knock some of the noise and drown down, and keep the exhaust flowing well.

clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Well I have 3 inch all the way to the back and the tailpipe exits behind the rear wheel. I have a Magnaflow muffler at the back in an effort to reduce drone. I can either put a resonator where the muffler should go or replace my current tip with the one above? I just want to knock down some of the drone.

Hybrid booster

A totally different world But on the DSM laser RS turbo I had ,the Apexi 3" had the resonator about where the cat would be. It sounded allot better than the 3" on my R/T without one. It did not sound ricey

I know they work, just would rather change out a tip over cutting my exhaust apart. Wish someone knew this answer. If I can't get one, I guess I put one in front.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 11-22-2006 at 02:44 AM.

I have been wanting to try this to help out my drone problem and reduce some noise. I finally got an electric cut out on so not worried about loosing some power anymore. Been watching your thread to see if someone has already done. I will install a bullet between the cat and muffler when I get one.

turbo addict

simon, how is a resonator going to be quieter then your current muffler??????your muffler probably is an oversized resonator.

Add another resonator in series to your current resonator/magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    simon, how is a resonator going to be quieter then your current muffler??????your muffler probably is an oversized resonator.

Add another resonator in series to your current resonator/magnaflow
    I will be running BOTH. I just need to know which will work better, resonator tip or up front. So far, no one knows so screw it, I will put one where the original muffler went.

Mitsu booster

resonators are to cut down on drone, the distance between muffler/resonator (pipe length) determine frequency

they do have the effect of quieting things down a bit, not as much as a muffler tho

Hybrid booster

I imagine the factory did all kinds of research and testing to find out WHERE the muffler and resonator should go on this particular vehicle. I know for myself I'll be installing a 3" magnaflow muffler, and a 2.5"-3" resonator in the stock locations,maybe even add a resonator tip too.

Gotta have these engines quiet,the turbo garbles and kills any "sound" these engines MAY have had.

Let us know what you found out.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I will be running BOTH. I just need to know which will work better, resonator tip or up front. So far, no one knows so screw it, I will put one where the original muffler went.
    Did you read my post??????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by me
    location makes little difference
    If you have a muffler on the van already, run it after the muffler.

Since you do, *I* would run the resonator tip, OR put a resonator just after the muffler.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

If you really want to quiet it down put a converter on it or a better muffler.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by phaxtris View Post
    resonators are to cut down on drone, the distance between muffler/resonator (pipe length) determine frequency

they do have the effect of quieting things down a bit, not as much as a muffler tho
    I know this, thats why I want to put one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Did you read my post??????????????????????

If you have a muffler on the van already, run it after the muffler.

Since you do, *I* would run the resonator tip, OR put a resonator just after the muffler.
    I did and its so so, no definate answer. Can't put a resonator after the muffler, the tailpipe is right there.
    While we are thinking, how would putting it in the tip quieten the drone? I know the factory puts the muffler under the floor then puts a resonator over by the gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    If you really want to quiet it down put a converter on it or a better muffler.
    Theres not much quieter out there without causing a restriction. Resonator is the best of both worlds.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Wait when did you find out she's pregnant??? You didn't tell us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast