Thread: Turbo oil and coolant lines

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Turbo oil and coolant lines

I think I'll break down and put good braided lines on this time. Looking at the vendor sites, they have nice kits, but I'd like to use the fancy anodized fittings. So, what fittings will I need?

1.) Oil feed

From distribution block on front of engine its a, what? 3/8 NPT?? And is it the same on the on the turbo? (Garrett) Should be able to come straight out of the distributioin block and then a 90* into the turbo, right?

2.) Coolant feed

What fitting will screw into the head? What fitting will screw into the turbo?

3.) Coolat return

What fitting will screw into the back of the block? What fitting will screw into the turbo?

I could run to the shop and check all this out, but I figure someone here will have the knowledge.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Turbo oil and coolant lines

Funny you should ask, I just did this with my car so that I could pull the lines off easily with the head/turbo on the car to facilitate turbo removal with the head on.

For the coolant lines you will need...

Qty. part. For:
    1 1/4NPT to -6AN 45* fitting for the feed from the block

3 3/8ths NPT to -6AN straight fittings for the turbo, and return on head

2 -6 hose ends Connecting hose to the 45* fitting on block and return at head

2 90* -6 hose ends connecting hose to turbo on both sides

X' -6 braided line running coolant to and frow.

This cost right around 70 bucks shipped from jegs two days ago. I already have plenty of -6 line around, so I did not need that. I will tell you with this setup on my omni, it makes life a lot easier. The one thing you need to look out for is that the 45* fitting at the block does need to be put on just right with the PS bracket off, or the bracket might need to be clearanced for the fitting as it will contact said bracket when turning it. To solve the problem you could also use a 90* hose end and a straight -6 fitting if you can get one in 1/4" NPT etc. but I like how I did it.

I need to write this up for my site, as it works really well and is pretty cost effective.

The oil feed line is rather simple. Just use a 1/8th NPT to -4 fitting on the oil dist. block, and a 1/8th to -4AN 90* fitting on the turbo and two -4 hose ends with the appropriate length of hose. I actually went to a local hydraulic supply store when I live in MI and had the line made while I waited for less than $20. I could have been out the door with JIC fittings which are compatable with AN fittings for under $25. The place is called J&H hydraulic, they are out of Madison Heights MI, and will ship via their website.

I have also pruchased sets from both vendors, and while they worked well, I decided to do this to ease the removal of the turbo with the head on to save some cash on HGs and bolts in the future.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

(1) SUM-220446 , Each $1.95 $1.95
    (1) SUM-220450, Each $6.39 $6.39
    (2) SUM-220490 , Each $4.39 $8.78
    (3) SUM-220648 , Each $2.95 $8.85
    (1) SUM-220655, Each $6.88 $6.88
    (2) SUM-220687 , Each $12.95 $25.90
    (2) SUM-220690 , Each $4.88 $9.76

Total - $68.51

This does not include the hose.

6ft. of -6 is $21
    6ft of -4 is $21

Total with that is $110.51 But, like you, I have some braided line kicking around so I won't be needing that.

Thanks for the information.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Any time.