Thread: Home built 3" swing valve?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Home built 3" swing valve?

Thought -

Take a stock swing valve, cut so that I'm left with the flange and flapper valve. Weld on a 3" weld ell and attach a 3" ballflange:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Would require a 3" downpipe or custom built pipe. I have nothing but time right now, so would this be a viable modification?

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Home built 3" swing valve?

Well depends on two factors... how much your time is worth and how much fustration you will save. I am sure it can be done. However after you go about building/bending a new downpipe, welding up thick enough pipe to the flange without killing your original flange, pucks, and a tight enough bends to make it viable without impacting other things. Just my 2 cents.

I would just buy the 3" swingvalve.... the research and development has already been done on this by Chris. That is what makes alot of these parts worth it.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

I would just buy the 3" swingvalve.... the research and development has already been done on this by Chris. That is what makes alot of these parts worth it.
    Yeah, you are probably right. Threads like this happen when I sit here unemployed and bored sensless.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

You obviously have the understanding of this, however for the rest, here is a perfect example about R&D by our vendors.

I like to think of it this way... DBB Mini payed probably $400 less for a GT28 turbo from some random vendor like ATP instead of Chris. Since Chris is the only person to have the ability to sell Chrysler style housings, he had to cut the flange off a TU header, make a custom downpipe, weld a external wastegate onto his TU header, buy the external wastegate, etc. Not to mention the time.

Is the wastegate this extreme? No way. Ultimately its up to you. If I had the time and equipment, I would go thru the pains of a wastegate just because I would love the learning aspect of it. However that is not the case.

Sorry to ramble!!!! LOL!!!!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

I made 2 it wasn't bad. Turned out real nice.

Frank's points are right though. I just didn't have money at the time

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115700

Guy Douglas

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Making a "good" weld with cast iron is a trick. Then there is the complication of making a "good" weld of the thin wall steel of the ball flange to the thick cast iron of the original SV. After your done you've got mild steel welded to/incorporated into one of the hottest parts of the entire engine. OEMs make headers and SVs and exhaust turbines out of cast iron because it is more durable than steel in a high heat environment. You can do it. It will work. Just too hard and the end product likely will have a short life - compared to the TU unit.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

+1 to Chris's unit "just working". It's nice not to have to fabricate some things, but like Frank said it's all about how much your time is worth.

My only gripe with the TU unit is how close the left side downpipe bolt hole comes to the exhaust scroll...at least with my .63 A/R scroll. I had to use a little nut (the OEM exhaust manifold nut) and even then I couldn't really get a wrench on it. Gonna be fun when I have to remove it. I should have welded my own tab to it, in retrospect.

Mitsu booster

i have made 2 differant styles of custom swing valves, both more intricate than the thread starter is contemplating, and time from start to finish....about 3.5 hrs, the average guy (read not welder or metal worker) i would say tops of about 8 hrs, unless your worth 30+ an hr, its worth it, plus it can be a fun project if metal working intrests you

as for the flange warping, bolt the swingvalve onto a junk turbo for welding/cooling, if using a 3" weld el, use nickel based rods (stick) designed for welding cast and peen when complete, cool slow, if using stainless tig with stainless rod and peen when complete, cool slow

Edit; so in other words, giver sh1t!

Hybrid booster

Yeah Ryan welded up the one my car for a mitsu turbo... Mmmm instant spool and no boost creep the SV is a huge restriction on the mitsu

Garrett booster

here are some pics of one of the 3" stainless steel V band clamp swing valve I had a friend make

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Take a stock swing valve, cut so that I'm left with the flange and flapper valve. Weld on a 3" weld ell and attach a 3" ballflange:

Bingo.......except I used a 3 bolt flange and a flex piece in the down pipe. It moved things over to the pass side a tad but everything fit fine.

DJ

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor whywoody's Avatar

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by beavis1313 View Post
    here are some pics of one of the 3" stainless steel V band clamp swing valve I had a friend make

That's sweet, can your friend make me one? :]

Hybrid booster

I could make you one of those too LOL

Hybrid booster

haha, if the price is right, then maybe next year :]

Hybrid booster

Price is always right