Thread: New project, please help.

Garrett booster

New project, please help.

I am planning a 95 turbo neon build and I need a little help with some little details.

I have been getting reccommendations for a 2.4l engine and I was wanting to run 20-30lbs of boost and I know I am going to need colder plugs and bigger injectors and fuel pump. Will anyone be able to help me or will you need the compression ratio of this engine? If you do need that I will need to get my bore,stroke,swept volume and combustion chamber ccs.

Also,what are the differences between SBEC and SMEC?

Thanks for any help you give me.

Re: New project, please help.

I don't really know what you're asking here. Are you trying to convert a regular n/a 2.4 into a turbo setup? If so, keep in mind that the stock advertised compression ratio of the n/a 2.4 of the mid-late 90's is around 9.4:1 which is way too high for a turbo setup. The 2.4 in the srt-4 runs around 8.1:1 compression IIRC and you really wouldn't want your compression much higher than that if you plan on running high boost.

Basically, in a nutshell SBEC runs sequential fire injection below 3000rpms where the SMEC runs batch fire injection at all rpms. If you wanted to use either of them with a 2.4 you'd need to get them recalibrated, then you'd need to mod the 2.4 head to bolt a distributor. A few people have done it though I think megasquirt would be more worthwhile.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

More info on what your thinking. I can definately help you as I am putting an SRT motor into a 1st gen Neon as we speak.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I understand that you have to run ow compression for any forced induction so as to prevent detonation.

I haven't gotten a lot of info on the 2.4 but from what I gather,the suggestions I am getting are for a non-turbo 2.4. I am wanting to start with that and strip it down a blueprint it and go from there. I am also corresponding with Neil Emiro and he has told me that the 2.4 is an iron blosk with aluminum head. This Is what I want. I am not sure if the STR-4 engine is iron block or not though. I would really like to run a stand alone engine management system like F.A.S.T. or something similar with a dual tune. 600+ for track and 450-500 for street use (beating up ricers and other cars).

What I was asking for help with was suggestions for size of injectors and fuel pump and heat range suggestions for the plugs as well as preferred brand names for these items.