Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A413 not kicking down when stopping

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

A413 not kicking down when stopping

Just started. What is the best way to fix this?? Will have the tope end off shortly. Looking for a way to fix without pulling the trans. Any ssuggestions?? Trans fluid is Type F
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: A413 not kicking down when stopping

When you take off from a stop it is still in third? Governor is sticking. Travelling at about 5-10 mph, slam it in park for a second then pull it back in drive. I know it sounds horrible, but it will jar it loose. Should work fine for a while there after.

I would change the fluid and filter a few times or have the tranny flushed.

Mitsu booster

The quick fix: when you're doing about 30 mph or quicker, throw it in "Park" for a split second. You have a sticking governor, and this technique will "shock" it and will most likely unstick it. If you're scared to do this, you can try this: at about 40 mph or quicker, shift the tranny in and out of "D" and "N" several times. This will "hydraulically shock" the governor and may unstick it. I've done both (usually a combination of) for best results. But don't be scared to throw it in park, many have done it, and nothing bad will happen, unless you leave it in park for like a minute while you're moving.

It may be time for some maintenance and tranny service, and you may even have to pull the governor out to clean it.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Chad Kilback "Kil-time Tranny Tuning"
    RMVB with Transbrake $400 including priority shipping plus $40 core
    RMVB $200 including priority shipping plus $40 core
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Calgary, Alberta SDAC
    88 Daytona Shelby "Zedd"
    12.43 @ 111 quickest time
    12.6 @ 113.00 fastest time
    87 New Yorker "Norker Zedd" 2.5L TII 14.6 @ 93

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

LOL.... We are on a routine throw it in park basis right now. Looking to fix. Trans has about 3-4 k on it.

What's invloved in pulling the govenor out
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Also could be a worn/out of adjustment kick down band. It should be adjusted when trans fluid and filter changed. Look to have about 1/4" of slack.
    Governor swap. I think the valve body must be removed and loosen the 2 (3 maybe?) 8mm bolts to remove the housing from the output shaft. Don't mess up the governor tubes (2). Patience.

Edit. Will it shift to 1st manually?

Yes, Will go manually
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Then I'd lean towards low/reverse band adjustment.

Make sure the kickdown cable isn't sticking. My sisters old Shadow did that for a while and it turned out that the kickdown cable was not coming back all the way with the throttle. I put a tiny spring on it and it was fine for 70k miles.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    LOL.... We are on a routine throw it in park basis right now. Looking to fix. Trans has about 3-4 k on it.

What's invloved in pulling the govenor out
    Can do this with my eyes closed, and this is why you put a drain in the pan and use the reusable pan gasket,

Drop the pan, drop the valve body, then you can remove the 3 -7mm bolts holding it on, watch the little filter doesn't get lost. Either clean it and make sure the valves move freely or buy Sonnax's fix kit and install that. Works awesome.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Also could be a worn/out of adjustment kick down band. It should be adjusted when trans fluid and filter changed. Look to have about 1/4" of slack.
    Governor swap. I think the valve body must be removed and loosen the 2 (3 maybe?) 8mm bolts to remove the housing from the output shaft. Don't mess up the governor tubes (2). Patience.

Edit. Will it shift to 1st manually?
    A kickdown band out of adjustment would either cause no UPshifts, or late upshifts. Or it would cause early upshifts with moderate throttle pressure, all depending on which way it was out of adjustment. It would not cause high gear starts. Throttle pressure only tries to "close" the shift valves, resluting in downshifts. If there were zero throttle pressure, the valves would still want to close due to the springs. Governor pressure (which shouldn't be there when the vehicle isn't moving) is what's keeping the valves open and the high gear starts.

__________________________________________________ ___
    Chad Kilback "Kil-time Tranny Tuning"
    RMVB with Transbrake $400 including priority shipping plus $40 core
    RMVB $200 including priority shipping plus $40 core
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Calgary, Alberta SDAC
    88 Daytona Shelby "Zedd"
    12.43 @ 111 quickest time
    12.6 @ 113.00 fastest time
    87 New Yorker "Norker Zedd" 2.5L TII 14.6 @ 93

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Then I'd lean towards low/reverse band adjustment.
    The low/reverse band isn't involved in 1st gear "D" position. An adjustment here wouldn't make a difference.

The reason why it's kicking back into 1st when he throws it into "1" isn't related to the mechanics of the low/reverse band, it's due to the hydraulics in the valve body. When it's thrown into "1", the manual valve directs fluid pressure to the backside of the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves and plugs, which cause then to slam shut against the governor pressure on the front side of the plug (which shouldn't be there when stopped). When the shift valves close, it disengages the front clutch and/or front band, which shifts the tranny into 1st gear.

The mechanics of the low/reverse band isn't even involved if you have it in "1" position and you're stopped or accellerating. This band only does it's job in "1" when you take your foot off the gas and coast.

Chad Kilback

Garrett booster

Dang good info --thanks Chad---bobr19-----
    Quote Originally Posted by Torqueflite View Post
    The low/reverse band isn't involved in 1st gear "D" position. An adjustment here wouldn't make a difference.

The reason why it's kicking back into 1st when he throws it into "1" isn't related to the mechanics of the low/reverse band, it's due to the hydraulics in the valve body. When it's thrown into "1", the manual valve directs fluid pressure to the backside of the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves and plugs, which cause then to slam shut against the governor pressure on the front side of the plug (which shouldn't be there when stopped). When the shift valves close, it disengages the front clutch and/or front band, which shifts the tranny into 1st gear.

The mechanics of the low/reverse band isn't even involved if you have it in "1" position and you're stopped or accellerating. This band only does it's job in "1" when you take your foot off the gas and coast.

Chad Kilback

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Torqueflite View Post

Chad Kilback

I'm not terribly surpised that I'm wrong on that one. Transmissions are not my strong suit. BUT on my 1st rebuild of a 3 speed trans (sister's shadow) It would stay in 2nd when coming to a stop. After consulting the trans expert at work, he checked the bands and adjusted the one that's further down in the case. Maybe it's not called the low/reverse band, but it was WAY loose and that's what fixed the car.

K... Started not wanting to upshift now (r's go up, car accelerates slowly) Pullint the pan, dropping the valve body looking to clean things up. Need recommended methods and what I need to look out for

(oh... head and turbo swap at the same time...)

Shoot me advice
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Take it out, lay out some paper or cardboard. Start taking it apart and put the valves and springs in order, maybe even take photographs. I also have an ATSG book incase I bump something. When you seperate the 2 halves, there will be balls so don't loose them. I use brake cleaner and a blow gun to clean it all up nicely. Now take each valve and look for heavy scoring etc, ditto for the valve body. Now lube each valve and test them one by one in the vb, they should move without sticking. If they do, you need some fine sandpaper to polish them. Keep doing this until they move smoothly. Also, don't round off the square valve edges. Reassemble using the FAQ guide as you don't put one ball back in. You can also turn up the line pressure and do the mods if you want. While the vb is out, take out the governor, 7mm bolts and give it a good clean and make sure the valves move freely. I would buy Sonnax's gov fix kit, part number in my gov FAQ. Adjust the front kickdown band by tightening the screw down finger tight and backing it off 1 1/2 turns. Rear not sure how to do it without using a in/lb torque wrench.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Simon, Rather than remove and clean it, I have a valve body from a good trans... might just throw it in there. Thoughts. Not worried about the line pressure at this point.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Simon, Rather than remove and clean it, I have a valve body from a good trans... might just throw it in there. Thoughts. Not worried about the line pressure at this point.
    Still clean the governor and I would still add the Sonax kit. Install the valve body, and adjust the kickdown. I also like to install a magnetic inline filter on the line to the tranny cooler. If its stock IE in the rad, place it after the cooler so as not to put junk back in the trans.

Advice noted... NOW... magnet has LOTS of metal... should that indicate another issue??
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Advice noted... NOW... magnet has LOTS of metal... should that indicate another issue??

Got pics. If its fine metal and the fluid drained was not black or badly burned, its probably from lack of maintenance and normal wear and tear. If the fluid was black or burned, then could be the TC is gone or metal to metal on the clutch plates.

Trans fluid was a darker red... Wear and tear... Hughes convertor, 5k on the trans.... not black. Should not be happening... arghhh
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast