Thread: Broken spark plugs

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

Broken spark plugs

Ok, I've gone through 3 spark plugs in 3 days. (2 RN9YC and 1 RN12YC) All of them have little to no porcelain/ceramic or whatever left and the electrodes are flattened causing a dead cylinder. My assumption is that something is causeing the porcelain to crack off and it then rattles around until it hits the plug and flattens the electrode and thats when I find out there's a problem.

Every time it's actually caused the dead cyl it's been at full boost of 11 psi or so. I'm assuming it must be detonating but thats a bit strange at such low boost. Also I run 91 octane and don't hear anything. Every time it's been the #1 cyl as well. Thinking about swapping out that fuel injector, but wanted some other ideas. Hard for me to read the plugs when they keep getting broken and fouled every time I get on the gas.

Gotta go out now. Boost turned down and a ginger foot seems to avoid the problem. I'll check on this later. Sorry if I missed anything, since I typed it up quick. Thanks for any help!
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Hybrid booster

Re: Broken spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Nutz View Post
    Ok, I've gone through 3 spark plugs in 3 days. (2 RN9YC and 1 RN12YC) All of them have little to no porcelain/ceramic or whatever left and the electrodes are flattened causing a dead cylinder. My assumption is that something is causeing the porcelain to crack off and it then rattles around until it hits the plug and flattens the electrode and thats when I find out there's a problem.

Every time it's actually caused the dead cyl it's been at full boost of 11 psi or so. I'm assuming it must be detonating but thats a bit strange at such low boost. Also I run 91 octane and don't hear anything. Every time it's been the #1 cyl as well. Thinking about swapping out that fuel injector, but wanted some other ideas. Hard for me to read the plugs when they keep getting broken and fouled every time I get on the gas.

Gotta go out now. Boost turned down and a ginger foot seems to avoid the problem. I'll check on this later. Sorry if I missed anything, since I typed it up quick. Thanks for any help!
    It could be a sign of severe detonation due to very high cylider pressures.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Been there, done that. Detonation due to being lean or high compression. I kept doing this on one of my van engines, then after the motor let go, realized it had TBI pistons in it, doh!

Theres also the possibility the pieces have damaged the turbine, they did to mine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I'm down with my bad self Turbo Mopar Staff Mopar_Nutz's Avatar

It seemed strange to me that I don't hear any detonation or anything and it is lower boost on decent octane. I bought this car off the original owner and have full history on it and it's a 100% stock bottom end. Maybe I should swap that injector out just for the hell of it and see if it helps. Sounds like a compression check is in order as well. Takin the night off work so I'll do some playing with it today.

I wonder what my piston and head look like after all these pieces floating around smacking up spark plugs though....

For the turbo....not concerned. It's just a mitsu and I have 3 more in the garage. I'll worry about it when it stops boosting! hahaha
    Ian
    `88 Mercedes-Benz 300E - The daily
    `92 Spirit ES - 2.5TI/523 swapped
    `89 Lancer Shelby - 2.5TI/413 stock
    `87 Shelby Charger - 2.2 with a few things done
    `79 Bronco 4x4 - Everyone needs a 4x4
    `76 Duster - Future big block stroker
    www.FWDMopars.com

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Nutz View Post
    It seemed strange to me that I don't hear any detonation or anything and it is lower boost on decent octane. I bought this car off the original owner and have full history on it and it's a 100% stock bottom end. Maybe I should swap that injector out just for the hell of it and see if it helps. Sounds like a compression check is in order as well. Takin the night off work so I'll do some playing with it today.

I wonder what my piston and head look like after all these pieces floating around smacking up spark plugs though....

For the turbo....not concerned. It's just a mitsu and I have 3 more in the garage. I'll worry about it when it stops boosting! hahaha

When I did that too mine, I only heard a slight ting when then the miss started. When I pulled the head off, looked like an old 2 stroke engine that let go. Sand paper and a die grinder fixed the head.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info