Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water to air I/C's

boostaholic

water to air I/C's

Okay I am curious as to who is running one and does anyone have some photo's?

turbo addict

Re: water to air I/C's

Idk who is here but i know of a couple other types of cars using them. Personally i dont get why anyone would use them. My reasoning being this, I am confused as to how cool it actually would make anything being hot coolant is running through it. Your cooling the coolant by air i realize that but not by anything more than what you cool the coolant in your radiator to lol. For instance say ur engine is driving and running at a nice 160 degrees well the cooling passing through that intercooler is the same temp maybe a tad less but thats still not decent intake air temps. i dont know maybe im missing something with them but its just what i gathered from the things, i never actually read up on them and if anyone knows something correct me.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    Idk who is here but i know of a couple other types of cars using them. Personally i dont get why anyone would use them. My reasoning being this, I am confused as to how cool it actually would make anything being hot coolant is running through it. Your cooling the coolant by air i realize that but not by anything more than what you cool the coolant in your radiator to lol. For instance say ur engine is driving and running at a nice 160 degrees well the cooling passing through that intercooler is the same temp maybe a tad less but thats still not decent intake air temps. i dont know maybe im missing something with them but its just what i gathered from the things, i never actually read up on them and if anyone knows something correct me.
    Air-Water is actually ALOT more efficient than a Air-Air intercooler

In most cases, when you add one you run your coolant lines to a seperate heat exchanger, not through the engine and radiator. You can even run your heat exchanger in a Ice Box created temps way below ambient.

turbo addict

ah ok, gotcha, i didnt think of that but in that case u could stick with air/air and just use cryo2 setup or soemthing lol which cools the intercooler off exremely well.

Hybrid booster

It will be a separate system from your engine cooling. Having it's own upper and lower cac (charge air cooler) and an electric pump to recirculate the water/antifreeze mix. (antifreeze if needed) Usually charge temps stay 20-40 above ambient temps.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    ah ok, gotcha, i didnt think of that but in that case u could stick with air/air and just use cryo2 setup or soemthing lol which cools the intercooler off exremely well.
    There is great reason as to why anyone who is real fast with a forced induction car isn't on an air-air. A good air-water setup with a large resevoir filled with ice will allow charge air temps in the 40* F zone with an ambient of 80*.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    There is great reason as to why anyone who is real fast with a forced induction car isn't on an air-air. A good air-water setup with a large resevoir filled with ice will allow charge air temps in the 40* F zone with an ambient of 80*.
    Have you ever seen (cant remember the guys name now) Dry ice cooler. He got temps down to 100 below!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Have you ever seen (cant remember the guys name now) Dry ice cooler. He got temps down to 100 below!
    No I haven't, sounds neat. We had kicked around some sort of idea like that at work, putting a couple of tubes through the water tank that could be filled with dry ice.

Can dry ice come in direct contact with water? I don't know the first thing about that stuff. The tubes through the box were to keep them seperated.

Also, what happens to the fuel when you try to spray it into sub zero temperatures? When does gasoline freeze instead of atomize?

turbo addict

No I haven't, sounds neat. We had kicked around some sort of idea like that at work, putting a couple of tubes through the water tank that could be filled with dry ice.

Can dry ice come in direct contact with water? I don't know the first thing about that stuff. The tubes through the box were to keep them seperated.

Also, what happens to the fuel when you try to spray it into sub zero temperatures? When does gasoline freeze instead of atomize?
    I dont think they were using gasoline either. What the freezing point of alcohol? Its lower than water I know that for sure.

Its in one of my turbo charger hand books that someone is borrowing right now. Just when you lets someone borrow something you need it god damnit.

I ran across a system awhile back that would use the vehicle's AC to chill the coolant in a W/A setup below ambient. Pretty neat stuff. I wish I could find a link to it again.
    While not the page I remember, it looks like the same idea: http://www.mr2beast.com/RAWIC.htm

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    I ran across a system awhile back that would use the vehicle's AC to chill the coolant in a W/A setup below ambient. Pretty neat stuff. I wish I could find a link to it again.
    While not the page I remember, it looks like the same idea: http://www.mr2beast.com/RAWIC.htm

Tony
    A system like that was used on the prototype next gen Lightning.

A system like that was used on the prototype next gen Lightning.
    I saw that mentioned when I was searching for the site that I had found originally. I'm pretty sure the one I remember involved a GN and they were selling conversions, but I've had no luck finding it again.

turbo addict

Having it cool is fine but too cool u could split ur manifold in actuality or even crack a piston etc. Just like putting cold water in ur engine while running its the same prinicpal. I say this cus as far as what was said on temps 100 below are u talking 100 below 0? That would be trouble waiting to happen and sound more like something told as a story for talk than an actual done thing.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It can come into contact with water, that is what makes the fog roll out of the punch bowl on Halloween. However, it cannot be in a sealed container like that due to the fact that the dry ice is sublimating at a very accelerated rate. A simple pressure relief would take care of that problem though.

The freezing point of gasoline will vary depending on octane additives etc. From my brief research, it would appear as though the higher the octane, the lower the freezing point. I would think that -100*F would be a very safe bet for 93 octane while unleaded race gas could get to -150*F.

Since dry ice is about -109*F I doubt that you will have a problem due to the inefficiencies in any system.

A couple more thoughts...

The sublimation process will slow down rapidly once the water gets cold.

The dry ice will eventually freeze a small quantity of water.

You might be better off running a coil of fuel line in a chest with just dry ice in it.

turbo addict

Dry ice comes in rice ,pellets and blocks I'm going to try the rice and pellet to see how well i work next season on my IC with 2 small 12v fans .

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    A couple more thoughts...

The sublimation process will slow down rapidly once the water gets cold.

The dry ice will eventually freeze a small quantity of water.

You might be better off running a coil of fuel line in a chest with just dry ice in it.
    That last point is what I was trying to describe. I was going to run 1 1/2" tubes or so through the existing water tank that would have dry ice in them. No contact with the water, just the aluminum tube that would be throughout the box.

I wonder how long it would last, and how well it would transfer the heat from the water to the dry ice.

Interesting stuff.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That last point is what I was trying to describe. I was going to run 1 1/2" tubes or so through the existing water tank that would have dry ice in them. No contact with the water, just the aluminum tube that would be throughout the box.

I wonder how long it would last, and how well it would transfer the heat from the water to the dry ice.

Interesting stuff.
    Last I was buying the stuff it was cheap enough to where you could get enough for the day easily. I have read that 50-100lbs. of the stuff will keep a swimming pool fogging for a few hours. We would keep a 5lb. brick in the freezer for most of a day when making bombs with it.

turbo addict

To my knowledge, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide(CO2)

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Funny finding this thread I just ordered a 12X12X4 1/2 inch water to air and I will be making the cool can with the tube through it. also put a bid on a mercedes 12V water pump. I have a Giant spearco in my charger. I wana see if the smaller volume of this water to air IC will help my spool up at the drags. Should have pictures in a month or so.

AMoparacer

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

No doubt that a water to air cooler is much more beneficial in a race car where you are only cooling for 10-12 seconds.

For a street car application, do you really increase cooling efficiency by cooling the water with a seperate rad. and then pumping the cool water around the IC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast