Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished T2 conversion only getting 2-4 psi of boost

Garrett booster

Finished T2 conversion only getting 2-4 psi of boost

I just finished a T1 to T2 conversion on a 87 Sundance. Got the Stage 5 cal from FWD. One piece intake that is ported. Exhaust manifold that is ported. Intercooler, Turbo X BOV, 3 inch swing valve, Fuel pressure reg is set at about 52 PSI.3 bar map sensor. The car runs and Idles good. But drives like a non-turbo. I can hear it spooling backing out of the drive way. I just have the down pipe on for exhaust and no muffler on yet. The car will kick down on the road but I am only getting about 2-4 psi of boost and I have a 20 psi cal. I played around with vac lines as some are routed differently or eliminated with the conversion. I took the vac line from the BOV off of the throttle body and tried it on the intake port instead. No difference there. I switched the fuel pressure reg vac line and the BOV vac line on the throttle body and no diff there either. My waste gate rod is connected. Just put it on the other day and the waste gate closes and opens easily with out the rod connected. I would like to get the boost I'm supposed to. Any input would be very much appreciated. It took me a year to get this going due to waiting months for parts. Not sure what the deal was but I have heard this from others as well. Suggestions on my boost problem would be very much appreciated. I have a pwer loss light on as well. I will double check intercooler tubes for leaks tonight.Thanks

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Finished T2 conversion only getting 2-4 psi of boost

Well, you have one of two problems (more than likely):

I. Boost control issue

This could be any number of things. Ill try to put down what I can think of off the top of my head.

a. You need to make sure your wastegate solenoid is hooked up correctly to the intake and to the wastegate, as this is what is controlled by the computer to regulate the boost.

b. Computer could have wrong boost value?

c. wastegate could be bad?

d. wastegate hooked up wrong??

II. Boost "leak" issue.

Im throwing a lot of things in here that may not be considered a leak, but hey, lets go with it.

a. you could have a physically leak in the piping somewhere.
    b. BOV opening up and leaking? or bad BOV?
    c. IC leak?

Typically if the computer is working right, and everything is hooked up correctly, it would take a LARGE leak to only get 4 psi. If you have the wastegate hooked directly to the intake manifold, then that is your problem, as that will typically give you low boost (5 -> 7 or so). There are just a bunch of possibilities so you need to break things down into small pieces and make sure each one is ok. This will typically lead you to the right answer.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hybrid booster

It's is dangerous but you can unplug the wastgate and take it out and be gentle but see what boost you get. If you have the wastegate can unpluged and still get little to no boost the problem is with the can, wastegate, or turbo/ turbo to IC plumbing.
    If you get lots of boost (again be careful) you have a vacume routing issue or leak.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Garrett booster

I will check out the intercooler pipes and sleeves for leaks first. If this fails as I expect it will because I really took my time with the connections I will then go to the wastegate. Doing this setup is a little confusing to me with all the changes, 3 bar map sensor, AIS TPS and such. I am more attuned to the older engines with out the elctronic and turbo stuff. I can hear the spooling when reving in park and when backing out of the drive way. At idle it shows a negative value on the boost as it did as a T1. But wehn you give it gas it would go to the positve side. As it does now but just barely. It does not increase at full throttle. The waste gate vac line goes to the passenger side inner fender. EGR is plugged. BOV is connected to constant vac nipple on throttle body and fuel reg is to the other nipple. Looks like I will be checking out quite a bit of stuff over the next few days. I just hope it's nothing majorily wrong. I'll take as many suggestions you guys will throw at me at this point so I can have my check list in place when I jump into this tonight and possibly over the next few days( God I hope not I want to go fishing sometime this weekend) Of another note when putting in the 3 bar map sensor and ais tps for T2 There were references to colors of wires on the logic module connectors. Wires that needed to come out or be changed. These color references did not match what I have on the T1 setup. But 2 wires did go in the stated numbered positions where none existed as a T1
    Last edited by mikes87t2; 10-30-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: adding to

What car is this?
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

Its a 1987 Plymouth Sundance 2 dr

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    What car is this?

87 t1 sundance

Is your wastegate can adjustable?
    85 LeBaron GTS 03 PT Cruiser GT

Garrett booster

The rod does have threads on it. Would going from the stock swing vave to a 3 inch change anthing with the waste gate possibly?
    Last edited by mikes87t2; 10-30-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add to

I bet the swingvalve puck isn't all the way closed if its not a vacuum leak.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA View Post
    I bet the swingvalve puck isn't all the way closed if its not a vacuum leak.

That's where I was heading(i think) lol
    85 LeBaron GTS 03 PT Cruiser GT

Garrett booster

This is contoled by the waste gate arm adjustment correct? Now when i put the arm on I had to pull a bit on the arm to get it on the nipple and then put the clip on. In this position it should be shut right?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It should be shut like that. Can you get a pair of pliers on there to see if the arm on the swing valve itself will move freely?

turbo addict

What turbo are you using?

Somebody used a stage 2 turbine housing with the stage 1 turbine wheel.

Garrett booster

When i put the rod on the linkage with the nipple moved effortlessly. You are asking me to try and move it with the arm on correct? I may be able to do that tonight to check and see if it is not stuck. I am using the turbo from the T1. It was purchased through turbonetics for the T1 set up. It should be ok with this set up I think if I remember right when reading some posts last year, right??

If the arm on the wastegate can moves effortlessly that is not good. It should take a little effort to get it over the stud on the swing valve arm.

Garrett booster

I meant the linkage with the nipple for the arm moves freely with out the arm on it. Getting that arm on was a HUGE PINA !!! I had to pull on it to get it on the nipple. With the one piece intake that was a job in its self requiring some imaginantion. I used a piece of wood and wire that I tied to the arm and pulled on it like that to get it on.

OK, that's how it should be then. If you have the TU 3" housing on there, I believe that Chris posted that you might need to chamfer the hole in the turbine housing or the SV puck might get hung up thus causing a low boost situation.

Garrett booster

Can this be done safely still on by using a die grinder or would it be better to take it oof and do it that way.

Garrett booster

It is the TU 3" swing valve. Sounds like I have a pretty good list to go through here. I hope it is a intercooler leak to tell ya the truth. I guess we'll see where it goes tonight. I sure appreciate the suggestions. Stuff like this bugs the living heck out of me. Literally, I think I had a dream last night that I was being strangled by vacumn lines.

yeah, and you need to make sure the vacuum lines going to the wastegate solenoid are in the right spot.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast