Thread: L body brake lines

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Wink L body brake lines

Probably you know this but in case you don't...a company named Inland Tube makes complete brake line sets for 1984-1987 0mni, Charger and Daytona from front to back $220 for steel $253 for stainless. I planning on a set. If anyone has anything negative to report about that company, please post.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: L body brake lines

I believe you mean Inline Tube
    I haven't ordered from them but I heard members buying them 10+ years ago and had no issues
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I've dealt with Inline Tube a couple times and they were excellent to work with. The product was terrific too.

Thanks for the input guys. I can feel better about purchasing them now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yupp, the worst part is that I knew it was Inline Tube. Oops, lol.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

So, I'm looking at Inline Tube drawing representing CDB 8704, the part number that fits 1985 Charger, Omni, and Daytona brake lines. That drawing doesn't match what is under my car. Talking to them I find out that they don't have a list of the lines or images, so I'm wondering if anyone has bought this kit knowing what was in it. Were there two rear axle hard lines, two lines going to the rear of the car, two from the master to the proportioning valve and two to the front brakes?
    Thanks, if you can help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the L body cars were there own deal brake line wise? I have an 86 Daytona and an 86 Omni. If you need me to clear a path to take a photo I could probably do so in the next few days.

I appreciate that offer. I have an idea that might be easier for you to verify from your memory of when you replaced your lines on the Omni. My car is on jack stands right now. I can take pictures of various areas under the car for you to check against your memory or even what you might be able to get to easily. In the end, getting the pictures to you is the problem. I'm sick of trying to post pictures to T/M, I can't make it work. Tapatalk will just complicate things even more for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    I appreciate that offer. I have an idea that might be easier for you to verify from your memory of when you replaced your lines on the Omni. My car is on jack stands right now. I can take pictures of various areas under the car for you to check against your memory or even what you might be able to get to easily. In the end, getting the pictures to you is the problem. I'm sick of trying to post pictures to T/M, I can't make it work. Tapatalk will just complicate things even more for me.
    I think you have my email. If you need to, you can shoot me a photo and I'll gladly look at it. It should be pretty quick, as I think the big difference is in the rear. The Non L body cars run across the car behind the gas tank, and I think the omni is a little different there.

After further research, I am holding back on buying these lines, here is why. First of all they claim that part# CDB8704 fits Charger Omni and Daytona. Daytona is a "G" body and as shown in the FSM for engine/chassis/body "G" has an distinctly different configuration after the centerline of the body. One line travels toward the right side in front of the fuel tank. In our L-bodies both lines go behind the tank. This distinction is important because our chassis is incompatable with that line set without remaking a portion of that "G" body line to fit our L-body configuration.
    Talking with their representative I discovered that the replacement line is hand made using a set of pattern lines from a customer who needed new lines. The representatives, (I spoke with more than one) all affirmed that they didn't know which type of car the pattern lines came from. This is a problem unless you don't mind spending more than $220 for a set of lines that might have to be remade to some extent. Kind of a gamble! But wait! They have a solution. Send in your old line and they will make it for you, adding there and back shipping charges to your project. Inconvenient for you, not a hardship for them. If they have had to do this in the past, they should know which lines were wrong for l-bodies and G-bodies, yet they are unable to distinguish the two apart. Why?
    This process begs the question, why would they not accurately identify the part #? I was told they have been making this part for 20 years without complaint. For my part I find that claim laughable.
    In the end, if one of you who has bought that part number and installed it on your L-body without modification I would be grateful to know that and it would make it possible for me to buy those lines.
    Don't misunderstand, I'm not discouraging anyone from buying these lines, I'm just reporting what I have learned, hopefully to inform others to their benefit.
    Last edited by jeff1234; 04-07-2024 at 09:50 AM.

turbo addict

Jeff,
    IIRC Steve Eiker bought lines for his white 88 GLHT (tribute) car. Maybe Omni-Potent was selling lines too? He and Greg are good friends. That car also had rear disk brakes on them (which would make for some different lines as well). You might try contacting him GLHS069 is his username.
    Todd

Thank you Todd!