Thread: Heater box foam

turbo addict

Heater box foam

I pulled the heater assembly out of a 94 Spirit I just got to replace the heater and evaporator core. The foam that goes between the box and duct for the defrost had completely disintegrated. Is there a replacement foam available? It's about 2" thick. I'd like to replace all of it while it's out. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: Heater box foam

I've used the foam strips for household windows available at your local hardware store to replace the fom seals in/on the HVAC box. Something like this https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ipping/5315460. Various widths are available, so measure & see what sizes you need.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I used commercial closed cell foam packing saved from when it was going in the trash at work. Working now for 10 years. Too bad you were not close as I have lots in the garage.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

I ended up using the grey foam for sealing a window unit. It was thick enough to cover the gap between the heater box and the two duct connections. I've got great defrost now. The AC was already discharged. While I was in there I replaced the evaporator there was some corrosion on the bottom of the core but I don't think it was leaking. Is there a common failure point for the AC?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I ended up using the grey foam for sealing a window unit. It was thick enough to cover the gap between the heater box and the two duct connections. I've got great defrost now. The AC was already discharged. While I was in there I replaced the evaporator there was some corrosion on the bottom of the core but I don't think it was leaking. Is there a common failure point for the AC?
    My compressors generally go bad before anything else.

turbo addict

Thanks cordes I was thinking the same thing nothing else looks suspect. Any particular brand of compressor you'd recommend?

Thanks cordes I was thinking the same thing nothing else looks suspect. Any particular brand of compressor you'd recommend?
    I've only bought one replacement, and it was a middle of the road price on Rockauto. It seems to be holding up well in the minivan. I'm thinking about rebuilding a couple of them which I have on hand.

turbo addict

if you have a dash out.. consider whenever you do, duct taping the joints in the dash ducting

depending on the car it can make a decent effect

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I've only bought one replacement, and it was a middle of the road price on Rockauto. It seems to be holding up well in the minivan. I'm thinking about rebuilding a couple of them which I have on hand.
    Where do you get the rebuild kit from? I'd rather do that than rely on a rebuilt one.

Where do you get the rebuild kit from? I'd rather do that than rely on a rebuilt one.
    There seem to be quite a few places which sell the seals. I did a cursory search just now, and I couldn't find a complete kit with the bearing, clutch, etc. I'm sure they're out there though.

You'll be looking for the Chrysler A590/C171 compressor rebuild parts.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The compressor in 1994 will be a Denso 10PA17C

DENSO p/n 4710265 is the same compressor assembled with a slightly larger (1/8 inch diameter) clutch pulley for the second generation LH cars. The hardest part is switching the electrical plug, either converting the new compressor to the old plug (easy) or converting the car side over to the more modern sealed plug which is also not difficult but you need to remove and reinstall the diode that is on the old connector and incorporate it into the new one.

The Denso units are brand new OEM stuff.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?