Thread: colorado/solstice ar5 transmission to common block

colorado/solstice ar5 transmission to common block

Hello everyone. It has been a very long time since posting, but have been considering an engine swap for my bmw e36. Yes I know there is the ls1/2jz route, but already been down that path with older toyotas and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for older dodge engines. I have searched and searched on multiple forums and am not sure if anyone figured out the common block 2.2/2.5 to the Asin AR5 yet. I am aware that the liberty bellhousing in combination with the dual mass flywheel will work, but really would prefer a single mass flywheel. I am aware of the 87-93ish dakota 2.5 bellhousing, but would that mean it is basically all 2.2/2.5 manual transmission components as in clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing? Any additional insight would definitely help. Thank you very much as always.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: colorado/solstice ar5 transmission to common block

the original combo when using the r154 trans was dak bellhousing, jeep ax15 clutch fork, throwout bearing and slave cylinder, a custom machined piece to press into the crank to take a pilot bearing, a stock chrysler flywheel and pressure plate and a tacoma clutch disc.

im sure the Ar5 is similar but the the input shaft may be a different length.

I had all that stuff and I sold it for another project. I kinda wish I kept it so I could put a 2.4 SRT motor and 5 speed in my volvo 740.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Awesome. Thank you very much. the ar5 is basically an r154 which makes sense that it takes a tacoma clutch. Thank you again.

Last question hopefully. the dakota with the 2.5 and ax14, does that have a factory pilot bearing for the crank since it is rwd?

according to rockauto.com, there is a pilot bearing for a 94 dakota with a 2.5. not sure the details....

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I should have checked rock auto. I was just thinking to keep as many factory parts as possible and may get the 94 dakota crank if it's possible so either that crank can be used or use that to get the exact factory specs so the other 2.2/2.5 crank options can get be sent to a machine shop to match those specs with some massaging. I do need to look more into the rwd sundance thread on the "other" site to see if I can find anything about a throw out bearing. I vaguely remember he went the jeep dual mass flywheel route, but could be dead wrong.

Thank you as always.

not sure if the dakota crank was different....

i thought larry buford used a stock flywheel with a spirit r/t pressure plate with the toyota truck disc....

Brian

Good to know. It's been so long since I briefly looked at it is foggy.