Thread: Heater core removal Daytona.

Garrett booster

Heater core removal Daytona.

I just flushed the heater core (disconnected by PO years ago) let it soak with CLR and flushed with water hose.

I then noticed water dripping from the AC evap core drain on the firewall. So I'm assuming the heater core is pooched.

Whats the fastest way to remove the heater core? Can it be done from underneath the dash or does it have to come out?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Last edited by Tonatom2; 04-22-2023 at 06:20 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Heater core removal Daytona.

Easiest way is for dash to come out, then the HVAC box. I think the FSM talks about leaving dash in place and removing HVAC box, but that seemed like more work to me. Sort of like pulling the turbo without removing the cylinder head. Yes it can be done, but may end up being slower.
    Maybe you had the CLR soaking for too long (lol). Did you dilute it? IIRC, it is is not recommended for brass amongst other things.
    Do yourself a favor and pressure test the new one before you install it, as the replacement HC are not the greatest quality.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Easiest way is for dash to come out, then the HVAC box. I think the FSM talks about leaving dash in place and removing HVAC box, but that seemed like more work to me. Sort of like pulling the turbo without removing the cylinder head. Yes it can be done, but may end up being slower.
    Maybe you had the CLR soaking for too long (lol). Did you dilute it? IIRC, it is is not recommended for brass amongst other things.
    Do yourself a favor and pressure test the new one before you install it, as the replacement HC are not the greatest quality.
    Todd
    Thanks Todd. It was 100% but only about 30 min at a time. Can't see it eating thru that fast.

I assume if have to pull the AC lines then. Was hoping to leave that all connected. So I'm sure the dash will have to come out then.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

If you remove the dashboard there might be enough wiggle room at the expansion valve to hose connections to unbolt the heater box from the firewall and pull it back a couple inches to take the top off and swap the heater core. If the A/C is still hooked up and holding pressure that is a good thing and I would do anything too not disturb the system.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

Hope so thanks.