Thread: Dual Port W/G Can

Dual Port W/G Can

Anybody ever messed with one? I've seen them going on Ebay and was thinking about picking one up to do some experimenting.
    What I'd like to do is setup a switchable boost control with a low setting of 14 psi or less and a high setting of 30.The problem I've run into so far is that if you get a can with a heavy enough spring to hold that much boost (holset hx35 can for example), then your minimum boost with the can hooked straight to a boost/vac source is 18+ psi. This was giving me trouble in the Daytona because the alcohol injection would kick on at 15-16 psi and I wanted a low setting for normal driving that didn't kick it on.

The way I see it is with a dual port I can use a solenoid to route boost to the "push" side of the can to help the spring hold the w/g closed when runing high boost.

It would work something like this:
    on low boost, boost is controlled in the normal way by a bleed or g-valve on the "pull" side of the can. The "push" side of the can is open to atmosphere.

On high boost, a solenoid would vent the "pull" side of the can to atmosphere while another solenoid routes boost to the "push" side of the can. How much boost the "push" side of the can sees could be adjusted by either a bleed or a g-valve (set up like you would on a map sensor). This should allow fairly accurate control of the high setting.

I'm probably going to try this when the Sundance is back together and I'll be able to post results and a diagram of how it plumbs/wires if it works.
    I figured I'd post here first to see if anybody has tried a setup like this and
    how/if it worked out.
    Any Thoughts?

Re: Dual Port W/G Can

Just read back over this and I reversed the directions.
    Aside from that, any thoughts on how well it would work?
    Anybody?

Sounds like it should work. I have a dual port WG on my 84 'tona, I've noticed if you cap the larger nipple, like I've read not to do, I get slightly higher boost. We're talking 9psi instead of 7psi. This is with the small nipple straight to manifold source, no grainger or anything. I too have been thinking about plumbing boost onto the big nipple to help hold it shut, however I am not at the point of running really high boost yet. It goes to 15psi with a grainger just fine with the big nipple unplugged. That is as high as I can go until I upgrade my fuel pump.

Thanks. That helps me feel like the idea won't be a waste of money and a miserable failure.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I had a turbonetics dual-nipple wastegate actuator on my Horizon. Worked great until the diaphragm ruptured. then it woulsnt hold more than 20psi no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    I had a turbonetics dual-nipple wastegate actuator on my Horizon. Worked great until the diaphragm ruptured. then it woulsnt hold more than 20psi no matter what.
    Any idea what caused it to rupture?