Thread: Drive shaft rebuild parts list (bearings, boots, cages, etc.)

Drive shaft rebuild parts list (bearings, boots, cages, etc.)

Not sure if this is posted somewhere, did not find anything with a basic search. Does anyone have the specs for the drive shaft replacement parts handy or know where they can be found? I have very little need for them with regards to drag racing like most, but I have so many of these things laying around that are not bad, but aren't great. Getting the parts to rebuild and have some spares lying around would be nice to have if the parts are available to rebuild these.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Drive shaft rebuild parts list (bearings, boots, cages, etc.)

The filler shaft for the equal length axle setup ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would be interested in this too.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The filler shaft for the equal length axle setup ?
    I'm referring to the CV shafts and the parts to rebuild those. Bearings, races, boots, clamps, the shafts connecting the two ends.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The proliferation of cheap, offshore cv axles has effectively killed the aftermarket for service parts. Look as DSS axles, they were just another middle man buying the semi finished components from someone else and doing the finish machining/assembly. That 'someone else' either went out of business or decided it was not worth the cost to make the raw components so here we are.

Definitely not arguing the simplicity of buying from a vendor, but it cannot be remotely more or as expensive to buy raw materials and build your own than from DSS. $800 for a set of axles (assuming they'll build them) cannot be cheaper than sourcing the parts independently. Maybe the suppliers don't sell directly to individuals, that may be the reason parts are not obtainable or maybe it is the required purchase volume. But watching the thread for the DSS group buy go on for years on end without completion and the cost make me think we could build our own with "stock" parts and sizing (bearings, races, etc.) for way less than $800. I don't need the same thing as the drag racing guys, that may be the main reason to go with DSS. And I may be oversimplifying the situation, but discounting the cost of our time, I'm willing to spend more than expected for a built shaft from Napa (assuming they even have them) to build my own. I just don't know where to buy parts and specs and was hoping someone out there was already doing this.

Let me also say that if there is a better solution that offers more support or better engineering, I'm all for that. I was talking to someone about something similar to the Porsche style setup, where the CV joint mates up to the drive shaft with the bolt up style to connect to the outer CV joint, that works too. I have all intent to race my car more and ensuring I can get replacement parts without having to drive a long ways or order online in advance is preferred. I lost a drive shaft on the way back from a track event and had to be driven 2+ hours round trip to get a replacement shaft.

turbo addict

I've picked up some random parts here & there on ebay in the past. Boots, joints & ends. There was a part number list for the various shaft types posted here probably 8ish years ago that I used to find the individual parts. For the life of me, I can't find the copy I saved.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Something like this is what I would have in mind to get away from the junk store replacement axles.

https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/All...escomplete.htm

It would be a very expensive one time cost, to have custom machined inner and outer stubs made from something like 300 maraging that could otherwise bolt up to an axle that except for the center bar lengths would be made from totally off the shelf components. All the wearable, consumable parts like the boots, housings and the actual joints themselves you could replace as needed and not be stuck with a custom cv axle that once the housings get loose and worn are nothing more than scrap metal.

https://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac525113-33j.html

Lengel went with a Porsche style solution. I'm wondering what it would cost to have a run of the adapters made, though he also has a trans modified for the srt4 diff.

I'd like to see that setup.

It's on the last 4-5 pages of his build thread. Frankly, I believe Ken was the last one to make a post, so it's best to search by Lengel's user name for threads started. I think it ws 2017?

turbo addict

mabey youse guyz need to chat with your friend James and find out what these are all about..

https://reevesracinggarage.com/

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    maybe you guyz need to chat with your friend James and find out what these are all about..

I cannot speak for anyone else but if I was getting serious enough to spend $2k+ on a set of axles they need to be rebuildable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    mabey youse guyz need to chat with your friend James and find out what these are all about..

Need to send him a note to see if the decimal is in the wrong place. Hahaha

But seriously I though, that's pretty crazy that he had someone to build them or he did himself.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I cannot speak for anyone else but if I was getting serious enough to spend $2k+ on a set of axles they need to be rebuildable.
    I'm with you as well. The idea of not being able to just order a replacement part is tough to justify any amount of money, really. Need to ask Lengel what he's done to see if he can provide some context to what all went into his solution
    I'm sure it wasn't any less expensive to convert to another solution.

got a set of axles for an L body from Gary Donavan many years ago. lasted forever. they were made from various stock parts. he probably knows someone that can help us out I hope. I'm looking to build a set for my self too.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I mostly have boot failures. I wouldn't mind patching them up. I'm not interested in "upgraded" axles when I haven't seen better parts made for the inner spline. That's the only part that ever breaks on the good OEM 3.3L style axles. At some point mega upgrade axles survive and you break input shafts. I would rather break axles.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Check with a local transmission shop. They may have a source for axle parts.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    got a set of axles for an L body from Gary Donavan many years ago. lasted forever. they were made from various stock parts. he probably knows someone that can help us out I hope. I'm looking to build a set for my self too.
    I believe they were Dodge Dynasty axles cut down and rewelded
    The 1st set I got broke 3 houses down from my house when I tried a burnout in front of the neighbors house
    Gary sent me another one right away

This one had the shaft ground down and the tripod slid back and then welded , didn't even have the splines broached further
    I think the weld might have made the axle shaft slightly brittle aiding in the breakage
    not sure if anything was down differently on the other one but it lasted for years into the 10s
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar