Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Instigator Build Log.

Garrett booster

The Instigator Build Log.

Fuel system.

Currently im using the stock tank with the stock baffle. I relocated the return line into the front if the tank with a line that goes to the bottom of the tank. I did this to help reduce cavitation as well as keep the hot fuel away from the pickup. Since the return no longer returned into the bucket i drilled some side holes in the bucket to help keep it full. I reused the stock hanger assembly and just clamped the fuel pump to the coiled line. The line was bent in order to place the pump at the rear of the tank to try to help starvation issues on hard launches. Installed a hotwire kit from Racetronix to make sure the pump had enough juice to do its job.

Fuel pump- Walbro 450 but will be either adding a second pump orbgoing with a 525.

Aeromotive FPR

Lonewolf performance fuel rail

Fuel injector connection 2200lb injectors

-8an feed

-6an return

Aeromotive inline filter

E85 Fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on
    Last edited by Loudexploder; 02-21-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Re: The Instigator Build Log.

Nice hardware Nick!
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Garrett booster

Thanks Warren, that means alot coming from you!!

Garrett booster

Transmission build...

For the trans I stuck with the Automatic that came in it. Boy has this thing given me hell.

When I first got the van going with the upgraded parts on the engine, I installed a RMVB from Cheetah. First trip down the road and it felt like it was stuck in third gear. I go a few miles down the road and make it back home. The trans is HOT and the trans locks up when stuck in second gear. I tore the trans back down and come to find out a couple of the bolts that hold the vb halves together were loose. My thinking was it allowed fluid to get into different areas it shouldnt have been in and messed the trans up.

I tore the trans down and installed the new parts I already had sitting on the shelf. REM Polished Billet Ring and Pinion gears from Frana, Pinion support from Frana, REM polished transfer gears, REM polished bearings, billet output shaft, and replaced all the seals, gaskets, bushings, clutches, and steels in the transmission. I also drilled some tubulator holes in the clutch steels. Doing this helps reduces the stiction between the steels and frictions when the clutches are not engaged. GM designed this type of steel and found a 5% increase in fuel mileage because it reduced the drag from the clutches that were not applied. I also used a factory converter from a spare trans that I had from a spare van.

This trans worked great, but with the power the van was making the converter didnt last long. So it was time to get a custom converter. I contacted A1 converters and had them spec me a stall that would accept the 904 input shaft.

While the trans was out I tore it back down and cleaned everything out. Got the new converter in and reinstalled. This was right before SDAC and I was scrounging to make it . Unfortunately I had other issues arise and had to cancel those plans.

I drove the van around for a while did some street racing and just cruising. Then It was time to install the build motor. Upon removal of the motor I found that the anti balloon plate on the hub side of the converter was grinding on the pump and had tore the face of the pump up. I contacted A1 and informed them of the issues and they were willing to fix it, but I had a local race and didnt want to miss it so I had my fab guy put the converter on his lathe and we cut down the anti balloon plate to clear the pump housing. Got everything back together and attended the local race. First pass and the band broke in half on the 1-2 shift and went 12.99@107. Trans had to come back out..

Stefan sent me a welded band and I get the trans put back together. Streetcar takeover on Nov 5,2022 was the next race for me. Before my race I was checking my launch boost and Idiot me I had accidentally left the van in Reverse. So building boost on the 2 step in reverse burnt up the reverse band. I ended up only making one pass that day and its was A-B, this was also a record breaking run. The van went 11.65@119. The following weekend I had a local drag and drive event. So I knew i needed reverse. I tore the trans out to replace the reverse band and found out that the tabs that hold the pin for the band lever were broken but the band was still working.

After swapping cases the van was back on the road. The drag and drive was a 300 mile cruise and 3 days of racing. Four of my buddies and I loaded up and drove 300 miles through the mountains and back roads or Oklahoma without a single hiccup. We got back to the track, swapped on the slicks, and got in the staging lanes. First pass we launch on 6 psi and it dead hooks gets about 20ft out and all you hear is a loud pop and grinding noises. I left off and it coasts through the 1/8 mile traps at 35mph. (she was about to make a lick). I thought I broke an axle and luckily I had some on stand by. Get the van back to the pits and trans fluid is just leaking out of the case from the pinion area .

This is where we are currently. I havent pulled the trans from the van just yet, but Im very positive that the pinion area of the case broke and took the ring/pinion gears with it.

I have been working on some items to upgrade the trans and stiffen it without welding on the case, Ive talked to a few people who say the case actually gets weaker and will crack from welding. My idea was a copy of sorts from Warrens idea to stiffen the pinion area up. The difference is Im mounting in an additional spot and the brace will wrap around most of the pinion bearing area.

I have also designed a billet diff cover that helps alleviate any aeration of the fluid and aides in allowing more oil to stay attached to the ring gear. I will post more updates along the way as I tear into the trans and start going back together with it.

Last edited by Loudexploder; 01-04-2023 at 01:31 AM.

Garrett booster

My Record Breaking Run.

Nov 5, 2022.. I attended Streetcar Takeover at Thundervalley, in Noble, Oklahoma. I didnt plan on racing but I wanted to get some testing in. I had issues with killing crank sensors every time I had been to the track. At this point I only had 2-3 passes where the van didnt break a crank sensor, axle, or band in the transmission. As of then my fastest pass was a 12.80@109, but this was done with the stock bottom end and head, but all my bolt ons, larger turbo, camshaft, and standalone.

I get into the staging lanes and my goal wasnt to break a record my goal was to make an A-B pass and gather data. Remember I hadnt really gotten any seat time with this thing at this point so the more good data I had the better it was going to be for me to see where I was and where I needed to be.

I get in the staging lanes and check my boost ramp, I pulled 15 degrees of timing that would be added back in over 2 seconds, my launch boost was 5psi, and my boost ramp started at 6psi and ramped into 24psi over 3 seconds then stayed at 24 psi for the remainder of the run.

I pull into the burnout box do my burnout and I thought I broke an axle, but it wasnt a loud noise and I was still moving. (probably the tab breaking for the band lever) Line up and wait for the light. I started to push through the brakes a little so I did move forward before leaving but I didnt break the beam, but it deep staged me. (which will hurt my et and 60').

It leaves like a turd, but once it gets going it starts to roll, it felt really good up top but nothing to call momma about. As I get to the end of the track and making my way to the return road, my buddy sent me a text saying I broke the record. My reply was hell naw. It was a great feeling, I had been working toward this for awhile and I finally got it while not even trying, with the van turned down on top of that..

2023 is gonna be a wild year and Im hoping to get some good seat time in to get this van rolling.... Stay Tuned!!

This is the Launch retard, it is activated as soon as I release the 2 step and pulls timing over a period of time until it reaches zero then it reads straight from the base map.

This is my boost ramp which is activated when I release the 2 step. This is dome pressure meaning psi added on top of wastegate spring. Im running a 5 psi spring so 19 psi dome makes 24 psi total. I launched on 6 then it ramps to 9 when I release the 2 step and was all in at 24 psi at 3.2 seconds.

Last edited by Loudexploder; 01-04-2023 at 02:23 PM.

More gorgeous parts! a couple of questions if I may ask..How many PSI is your line pressure? Have you drilled a pressure dump orifice hole in the cheetah valve body so that the line pressure doesn't spike in reverse? I once broke the low reverse band anchor (just like what you showed) on a former trans. found the reverse pressure was over 430 psi. drilling the orifice dropped the reverse pressure to line pressure setting.
    I have never set my line pressure more than 150 psi cold, and no slippage.

Also, I'm just about done with the machining on a transfer case girdle and cover. Should be done tomorrow. Stephen said he thinks its for you?? Whatever, or whoever, it will be done.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 01-04-2023 at 07:01 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    More gorgeous parts! a couple of questions if I may ask..How many PSI is your line pressure? Have you drilled a pressure dump orifice hole in the cheetah valve body so that the line pressure doesn't spike in reverse? I once broke the low reverse band anchor (just like what you showed) on a former trans. found the reverse pressure was over 430 psi. drilling the orifice dropped the reverse pressure to line pressure setting.
    I have never set my line pressure more than 150 psi cold, and no slippage.

Also, I'm just about done with the machining on a transfer case girdle and cover. Should be done tomorrow. Stephen said he thinks its for you?? Whatever, or whoever, it will be done.

Hey Warren,

I havent added the pressure dump to the VB because it doesnt take much adjustment from all the way out to get the pressure to 150, maybe a 1/4-1/2 a turn and I havent had any issues in reverse. I did check reverse and If I remember correctly it was over 200 maybe right around 300 while in reverse.. Could be wrong on that tho but it didnt seem excessively high for a reverse circuit. That is where I set mine at but I believe I set it when hot. The time it broke the kickdown band I pulled the VB apart to clean it and the regulator valve was stuck I had to get some pliers and work to get the valve out of the bore. I got some bore brushes and cleaned the bore up, the valve had some sharp corners around the edge of the valves so I cleaned those up as well. After all that was done the valve moved freely through the bore and once it was back togehter everything seemed fine.

On the girdle and cover I never heard back from Stephan on a price for the material. Let me get with him and see what the plan is. Either way we will figure it out..

Thanks...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for thenpics and taking the time tomdo the writeup. Best ofmluck getting the trans to behave. That's one reason I love the manuals, but I don't think it's going to make a difference in the waters you're preparing to swim in.

Garrett booster

Thanks Cordes

I think with the upgrades im doing that I should be able to make the trans last, or at least Im hoping so. The motor is built to handle 40+ psi so if we already went 11's on 24 but with a 3 second ramp to get there then I think with a good launch and cranking the boost up out the back end this thing will be a handful..

I've got more updates I still need to post..

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Nice to see you posting here Nick! Been a while since I've been on. Maybe a reason to check more often!? lol

Looking forward to further updates!!!!

Garrett booster

Rear Brakes

Since I picked the van up I knew I wanted to ditch the drums in the rear and get some discs installed. Not only for better braking and aesthetics but to reduce some weight. Willwood, Strange and TBM all grabbed my attention, but the TBM's just stood out to me. Maybe because I come from the LS world and they are what everyone tends to run. I sent out a few emails and talked to Dalton at TBM. For the rear I decided on the front brake kit from a Foxbody mustang. Since I already had the larger bolt pattern this was a no brainer for me.

I did end up having to redesign the spindle since the inner bearing had a slightly smaller ID and the wheel seal had a larger ID. Also the spindle needed to be lengthened slightly. I designed and 3d printed a test spindle and caliper bracket. Once I knew everything fit I set the files off and had them machined. Spindles were made out of 4340 and the Caliper brackets are made from 6061-t6.

While I was at it I also had my rear bearings and races Rem Polished. Then picked up some low drag grease, low drag seals, and bearing spacers from DRP.

Stock rear brakes were 30lbs per side. This was wheel hub, bearings, seal, studs, drum, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinder, and backing plate.

Tbm's were 10lbs per side. This included rotor, hub, bearings, seal, studs, caliper, caliper bracket, pads, and hardware.

Total rotational weight savings of 40lbs per side.

turbo addict

not being critical, just saying , that rotor reminds me of the one on my bicycle

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    not being critical, just saying , that rotor reminds me of the one on my bicycle
    They work very well, tons of people using them on their daily drivers, drag week vehicles, and 6 second 1/4 mile cars. Also been times were a few peoples chutes didnt open and these brakes stopped them from 175+mph.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I like that a lot. Would like to do the same, if it was available for my stock 5x100 pattern. I'd hate to have to buy new Bogart's!

But I know this hasn't been a cheap option. They do look great and I'm sure they perform at least as good as they look!
    The weight savings would be a big plus!

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wheming; 02-24-2023 at 05:41 PM.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Lookin Good!!

Don't have to tell you how much removing weight from anywhere behind the drivers seat will help launch and over all times

Garrett booster

OH wow this is such a great build thread! Your write-up is definitely inspiring my Spirit 2.5 turbo A413 build :-)

Garrett booster

Got the trans back together and everything seems to be holding up well.

Hit the dyno yesterday and laid down 509/434 on 27psi.

The yellow number isnt at peak, still waiting on dyno graphs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Congrats. I can't wait to see the actual graphs.

Garrett booster

Had a chance to go do a local drag and drive event, the van made a flawless roughly 300 mile trip with me and three buddies. Ended up getting a weight before the first pass and she weighed in a 3190 ready to go.

First pass TPS came unplugged and lost all boost, ran 13.0@93

Second pass boost ramp was WAY too hot. Blew the tires off and went 12.95@115

Third pass I softened the boost ramp and we got it to hook, ended up with the best 60' yet of 1.769, and ended up going 11.26@121. It can take more boost off the hit, still on 27psi, and 2900 DA.

Fourth pass all hell broke loose and we hurt the motor.

After further inspection and continuously looking over logs it seems the motor was hurt after the first pass and all other passes were done with a hurt motor. I had injectors tested and flowed and #1 injector was intermittent which lead to melting the #1 piston.

Engines back from the machine shop and should be back together in time to make SDAC.

We got ourselves a race van!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the update Nick. The van battle that’s going on right now brings me back to when me and James were duking it out! 😝 those were Great times to be on the forums, for better or worse!

Nothing like a little Friendly competition to keep the ball rolling.

Best of Luck on your next outing! 😎👍

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast