Thread: P body Koni’s?

Mitsu booster

P body Koni’s?

Just decluttering the garage and i found my old P body Koni’s that i was saving. Is there any interest in this stuff anymore? Been out of the game a while any info will help

Ante

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: P body Koni’s?

I'm sure someone would love to snap up a set of nos koni struts and shocks for a p body.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but I don't suppose those Koni's are still available?
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Quote Originally Posted by mcglsr2 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I don't suppose those Koni's are still available?
    If you're not after something period/original, then you could get some inserts and use stock struts for the conversion. You could also contact Rich Bryant if you don't care about the different look of the BC coilovers.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I wonder if a BC setup could be spec'ed in the DS (drift spec) series.... they are more compliant for daily drivers but control like mad when needed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    I wonder if a BC setup could be spec'ed in the DS (drift spec) series.... they are more compliant for daily drivers but control like mad when needed.

Brian
    It would be possible to do a DS front but the double eyelet rears that we need aren't offered in the DS series.
    I haven't had any built and it would probably also be more expensive because they have gotten more strict about what constitutes a full kit. Half DS and half BR would be two half kits which is a lot more expensive.

It looks like the DS kit would be an option for the lbody though.

The DS is about a $200 upgrade from the BR for a full kit which might hold for the lbody but the half kit problems would make the GJKHPA prices quite a bit more.

-Rich

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

do they have a single eyelet, single threaded stud style?

i thought i remember someone drilling a hole in the rear between where the double eyelet shock bolts in up top and installing another style with success.....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    do they have a single eyelet, single threaded stud style?

i thought i remember someone drilling a hole in the rear between where the double eyelet shock bolts in up top and installing another style with success.....

Brian
    It would be possible to drill the hole, ideally the area would be reinforced because it isn't designed to be a mount point.

Before I got a more bolt on solution I was considering that as the best option potentially with a U channel type bracket that bolts to the eyelet mounts on the bottom and is then the hole is drilled both through the bracket and the body so that the body isn't taking the full load.

So it should be possible. The Pbody bottom mount is also narrower than the lbody but that can be changed.

It is possible but it is a bunch of work to figure out if it is a one-off.

-Rich

Are the Koni struts for the g/j/h/p/ etc. body cars still rebuildable? I have a front set which is in cosmetically great condition, but to say the car is under damped with the eibach springs on the front is an extraordinary understatement at this point, and I don't think I would want to drive my NYer much as a result. If I can get them rebuilt, I would probably swap them onto Lancer 356, and use the new struts from that car for a replacement.

I've heard that the L body Koni struts are no longer serviced, and some are going to an insert. That might be an option for the P body cars too I guess.