Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive oil consumption

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Re: Excessive oil consumption

I rigged up a tee and drain hose/catch can with the pcv. I reset my trip mileage. So now we will find out what gives.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

I have 70 miles on the clock at this point. The oil level shows zero change. 7o miles might not seem like much but there has been numerous full boost accelerations thar in the past resulted I significant changes to the oil level. I'm hoping that trend continues.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Final update, with close to 200 miles on the trip the oil level is exactly where it was after the oil change. I can tell you I'm released to know its not using up oil. Thanks for all of the input.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

good to hear Jeff

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jeff which feed hole did you plug?
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Well, I guess that wasn't the final update. In the end I turned out the valve seals are leaking. As I drove it this year I noticed that the more times I did boost runs the more oil it used and when I did more driving like a normal person, lol, (what's normal) it used a bunch less oil. Like a quart in 200 miles. Anyway, recently I had the carparked on a downhill slope for an hour or so and when I started the car to leave, lots of white smoke. That had to come from oil in the combustion chamber. I recently picked up a leak down kit and all four cylinders are at or less than 15%. I could look down into the cylinders and see an oily surface. So now I'm going to try to get the head off before fall and replace the valve seals. I got some viton ones from TU. I tried to change the seals with the head on but all of the three types of spring compressors I tried had interference problems with the head and I coudnt get it done.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Good luck with the seals. I need my wife to help me with them when the head is on the car. I need to make one like Warren stramer has. That one is sweet.

turbo addict

I shortened one of the KD tools a couple inches and it worked on a 2 piece intake (86 GLHS). It can be done on the car, but it is takes a while to do. If you try on the car Jeff make sure the piston is at TDC and not BDC. You don't want valve dropping into cylinder in case you lose your seal with the air compressor. The old rope into the cylinder method seems unsophisticated, but it actually works pretty good.
    If you try the air compressor method, keep an eye open on the coolant recovery tank. I did this another time and found recovery tank was rising! Oops, I guess I have a weeping headgasket to fix too (lol).
    Todd

Brian, what is Warren's TM name so I can ask him for a part number and images.
    Todd, thanks for the cautions. I used the rope trick when I tried the seal change. I have learned from working on these cars that if there is anything stupid or idiotic that can happen and cause untold hours of extra work, it will happen in these Charger/Omni engine compartment. They are what is known as a blivit, five pounds of something stuffed into a one pound bag. LOL.
    It looks like Warren is no longer on TM (boostaholic) at least he's not in the members list.
    Todd, do you have a picture of the tool?
    Last edited by jeff1234; 08-30-2023 at 09:02 AM.

Warren Stramer, contact me @ Stramer Automotive 701-782-4215. or wstramer@hotmail.com
    Warren Stramer is his forum name

Warren Stramer 240, Main St. Hazelton ND. 58544
    Regards,
    Miles

Thank you Miles.

turbo addict

Jeff I'll snap a couple pics of the shortened KD tool next to a standard sized one. Look for it tomorrow.
    Todd
    Added photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230831_174612038.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	66410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230831_174522674.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	824.9 KB 
ID:	66411  
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 08-31-2023 at 07:55 PM.

I made a shaft that bolts to the fuel rail bosses on the intake to make using the KD tool easier for on the engine valve spring removal. I'm not sure if it would work on a one piece intake, but it worked well enough on the 2 piece intake. It was still a frustrating job that made me want to pull my hair out though.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Doesn't that have to use the cam a a pivot point? I was going to take the cam off the head. As a side note I have the two piece intake. Also, is that KD tool expensive.

So, you put the hooks over the shaft on the fuel rail? Your KD tool must have been un modified.

turbo addict

Jeff, pics added see post #32. Second picture is about how it must be used in car to clear the upper plenum of the two piece.

Todd, I noticed the difference right away. I borrowed one from Jackson when I tried to do the change recently, but the length seemed to make it impossible. As I looked at the tool relative to the valve spring area, it looks pretty tight to get the locks out, using a magnet I guess.
    What is the KD tool number? The cost has got to be alot less than replacing a Cometic MLS gasket.
    A word of advice for anyone reading this thread who never had the valve cover off their engine. Once I have the cover off, I plug all of the drainback holes with paper towels or rags. Failure to do so can result in an oil pan removal safari to retrieve nuts, washers, locks, etc. So far i've been lucky.
    I ordered the KD tool this morning.
    Last edited by jeff1234; 09-01-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Doesn't that have to use the cam a a pivot point? I was going to take the cam off the head. As a side note I have the two piece intake. Also, is that KD tool expensive.

Sealey VS168

Regards,
    Miles

Yupp, that's the one I bought. Thanks Miles.

I'm still here, somewhere on this forum are pics of the tool I made. As soon as I find them I will post pics.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast